The Student Room Group

Physics paper

Help pls question 2b part 2

@The-Spartan

Scroll to see replies

you know the velocity is 8.3ms18.3ms^{-1}, obviously this means it travels 8.3 metres in a second.
Now you have a distance and a time, along with a force (that you calculated in part 1, use the horizontal force)
So you can now use E=FdE=Fd, energy is force times distance.
So in 1 second, the ship travels 8.3 metres, so E=8.3FhE=8.3F_h
You then have an energy EE. you know power P=EtP=\frac{E}{t}
Now you have used a time of 1 second (to calculate the distance of 8.3 metres) So basically for that case, P=EP=E
So basically, you could say that P=FvP=Fv but im not sure if that is given to you :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by thefatone
Help pls question 2b part 2

@The-Spartan

Power = force * velocity

so the horizontal component * velocity should be correct

Units are js-1 or w
Reply 3
Original post by The-Spartan
you know the velocity is 8.3ms18.3ms^{-1}, obviously this means it travels 8.3 metres in a second.
Now you have a distance and a time, along with a force (that you calculated in part 1, use the horizontal force)
So you can now use E=FdE=Fd, energy is force times distance.
So in 1 second, the ship travels 8.3 metres, so E=8.3FhE=8.3F_h
You then have an energy EE. you know power P=EtP=\frac{E}{t}
Now you have used a time of 1 second (to calculate the distance of 8.3 metres) So basically for that case, P=EP=E
So basically, you could say that P=FvP=Fv but im not sure if that is given to you :smile:

thanks so much.. i couldn't remember p=fv off the top of my head and yes it is given in the data sheet

Original post by hellomynameisr
Power = force * velocity

so the horizontal component * velocity should be correct

Units are js-1 or w

thanks so much.. i couldn't remember p=fv off the top of my head and yes it is given in the data sheet

no worries :biggrin:. That makes it easy to remember now then :yes:
Reply 5
no worries :biggrin:. That makes it easy to remember now then :yes:

stress is ΔLL \dfrac{\Delta L}{L} right?

oops i meant force over area
(edited 7 years ago)
stress is ΔLL \dfrac{\Delta L}{L} right?

oops i meant force over area

Yup force over area.
ΔLL\dfrac{\Delta L}{L} is strain.
Reply 7
Yup force over area.
ΔLL\dfrac{\Delta L}{L} is strain.

i'm stuck on Q 4 a now, which way does velocity go???
i'm stuck on Q 4 a now, which way does velocity go???

Velocity here is a tangent to the path at P, acting in the bottom right way.
At the start it is completely horizontal, eventually acceleration downwards will make it nearly vertical. here its in between :smile:
Reply 9
Velocity here is a tangent to the path at P, acting in the bottom right way.
At the start it is completely horizontal, eventually acceleration downwards will make it nearly vertical. here its in between :smile:

huh??? i don't understand so is it acting alone the black line ???
huh??? i don't understand so is it acting alone the black line ???

Yes it is. Looks sort of like this (ish)

Spoiler

Reply 11
Yes it is. Looks sort of like this (ish)

Spoiler

yea that's what i meant :smile:

also the next question i can do question 4 b part 1
however when using SUVAT shouldn't the distance be the distance travelled not distance interms of height?
yea that's what i meant :smile:

also the next question i can do question 4 b part 1
however when using SUVAT shouldn't the distance be the distance travelled not distance interms of height?

This is a great example of the hidden part of parabolic motion.
Time spent in the horizontal is equal to time in the vertical,
So setting S=24,a=g=9.81,u=0S=24, a=g=9.81, u=0, you get 24=12gt224=\frac{1}{2}gt^2 from S=ut+12at2S=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2 like you know :smile:

Basically SUVAT works in both the horizontal and vertical components the same. Here its the vertical.

EDIT: here is a video showing this time effect :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
This is a great example of the hidden part of parabolic motion.
Time spent in the horizontal is equal to time in the vertical,
So setting S=24,a=g=9.81,u=0S=24, a=g=9.81, u=0, you get 24=12gt224=\frac{1}{2}gt^2 from S=ut+12at2S=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2 like you know :smile:

Basically SUVAT works in both the horizontal and vertical components the same. Here its the vertical.

EDIT: here is a video showing this time effect :smile:

but how??? the distance the ball hits the ground is 27m away from the tower thus the time cannot be same
but how??? the distance the ball hits the ground is 27m away from the tower thus the time cannot be same

It can, because if you think about it, when i throw the ball the timer starts for both components. When it hits the ground it stops for both components, therefore the time is the same in horizontal and vertical.

It has two separate velocities for horizontal and vertical vh,vvv_h, v_v. This also applies for acceleration ah,ava_h, a_v and distance travelled sh,svs_h, s_v

The SUVATs work in both horizontal and vertical components using their respective parameters.

sh=uht+1/2aht2s_h=u_ht+1/2a_ht^2 for horizontal and sv=uvt+1/2avt2s_v=u_vt+1/2a_vt^2

In this case, we use vertical so sv=24s_v = 24, av=9.81a_v=9.81 and uv=0u_v=0.

Hard concept to explain, hope i helped at least abit xD

Just shut up if u don't understand stuff as easy as this you're in the wrong room
Reply 16
It can, because if you think about it, when i throw the ball the timer starts for both components. When it hits the ground it stops for both components, therefore the time is the same in horizontal and vertical.

It has two separate velocities for horizontal and vertical vh,vvv_h, v_v. This also applies for acceleration ah,ava_h, a_v and distance travelled sh,svs_h, s_v

The SUVATs work in both horizontal and vertical components using their respective parameters.

sh=uht+1/2aht2s_h=u_ht+1/2a_ht^2 for horizontal and sv=uvt+1/2avt2s_v=u_vt+1/2a_vt^2

In this case, we use vertical so sv=24s_v = 24, av=9.81a_v=9.81 and uv=0u_v=0.

Hard concept to explain, hope i helped at least abit xD

i still can't understand why the time is the same, because the ball has that little extra distance to travel going vertically instead of just horizontally thus the time take should be bigger but a really small increase compared to time taken for just dropping the ball.

For example like a segment of the circle
if you draw a straight line across to form a triangle and you have that midgy extra bit of area between the arc and straight line that to me would be the minuscule difference.

So do you see why i say the time must be different?

Original post by STRANGER2
Just shut up if u don't understand stuff as easy as this you're in the wrong room

If people were quiet and never asked questions the population as a whole would be much stupider because if someone was unsure of how to carry out a task their boss set them and they did it wrong things wouldn't have a good outcome.

Look i'm trying my best really to learn this stuff and understand WHY. I CAN DO IT BUT JUST BECAUSE I CAN DO IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT I UNDERSTAND IT.

The internet is not a room, however i am in the student room

i still can't understand why the time is the same, because the ball has that little extra distance to travel going vertically instead of just horizontally thus the time take should be bigger but a really small increase compared to time taken for just dropping the ball.

For example like a segment of the circle
if you draw a straight line across to form a triangle and you have that midgy extra bit of area between the arc and straight line that to me would be the minuscule difference.

So do you see why i say the time must be different?

I completely understand what you're saying. Let me explain it in a different way...

Suppose i just dropped that ball right? The acceleration is obviously g downwards. So the ball falls towards the ground, accelerating at 9.81 (metres per second) per second. The only acceleration acting downwards is this, and therefore you can use SUVATs to find time.

Now lets consider that i throw the ball, from the same height. The acceleration acting down on the ball is still only g. This means that the ball, as before, is accelerating towards the ground at 9.81 (metres per second) per second. Therefore the only acceleration acting downwards is this, like the dropping scenario, as they are both dropped from the same height they both hit the ground at the same time

Now i hear you saying in your head, oh but does the one you throw not travel further and so must be in the air for longer?

No :smile: The balls both hit the ground when their vertical distance travelled is 24m right?
If they are both accelerating towards the ground at 9.81ms^-2, then they both reach the ground at the same time. The horizontal velocity of the ball is not a factor. Im going to use some diagrams to show this effect visually, where i show the distance travelled in a time.

This is me dropping the ball from a height right? now lets compare to if i threw that ball:

Can you see how they travel the same vertical distance in the same time?
This shows that the time spent in the air is the same in both cases from the same height. Hope this helped.

Edit:
Original post by STRANGER2

You're not helping. This stuff is not 'easy'. Anyway this is the maths science and technology academic help section.
If you're not going to help, GTFO.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
I completely understand what you're saying. Let me explain it in a different way...

Suppose i just dropped that ball right? The acceleration is obviously g downwards. So the ball falls towards the ground, accelerating at 9.81 (metres per second) per second. The only acceleration acting downwards is this, and therefore you can use SUVATs to find time.

Now lets consider that i throw the ball, from the same height. The acceleration acting down on the ball is still only g. This means that the ball, as before, is accelerating towards the ground at 9.81 (metres per second) per second. Therefore the only acceleration acting downwards is this, like the dropping scenario, as they are both dropped from the same height they both hit the ground at the same time

Now i hear you saying in your head, oh but does the one you throw not travel further and so must be in the air for longer?

No :smile: The balls both hit the ground when their vertical distance travelled is 24m right?
If they are both accelerating towards the ground at 9.81ms^-2, then they both reach the ground at the same time. The horizontal velocity of the ball is not a factor. Im going to use some diagrams to show this effect visually, where i show the distance travelled in a time.

This is me dropping the ball from a height right? now lets compare to if i threw that ball:

Can you see how they travel the same vertical distance in the same time?
This shows that the time spent in the air is the same in both cases from the same height. Hope this helped.

Edit:

You're not helping. This stuff is not 'easy'. Anyway this is the maths science and technology academic help section.
If you're not going to help, GTFO.

^^ you've perfectly demonstrated why i think the path where the ball is thrown is longer since you've just made a triangle, the path where the ball is thrown looks like the longest side, if the ball has more distance to travel the time taken cannot be the same.

But why is horizontal velocity not counted? that's because we're doing suvat for vertical you can use v=st v=\dfrac{s}{t} for horizontal

well ffs then -.-

Lol thanks for backing me up.. dunno what's with that guy :/
Reply 19
x.

Help with 5 a pls i have no idea about waves >.> they're my worst

Quick Reply

Latest