The Student Room Group

My hair is always nerdy and ugly looking. Help

Ive always had 'crap hair'. The words of others not just me lol. Ive never really been into style/fashion and am no good at doing hair. I exercise most days so dont want to spend ages on hair only to get it sweaty in the evening. Its very wavy and i can never get it perfectly straight it always kinks when i go outside. Then when i leave it naturally wavy people say it looks a mess. I only have a small face so hair thats long kind of drowns me and in my grandma's wise words makes me 'look like a drag' apprantly.
Ive never known what to do with it or how so style it. Heres a pic, sorry about the blur it actually looks better than my face though lol.

Attachment not found

Scroll to see replies

get a blow dryer
Reply 2
Go to a good hairdresser.
The link Isn't working for me :/ Although I can suggest that if you wake up and don't feel like going though the trails of trying to control and style your hair that throwing a hat like a beanie on it is a quick and easy way to push the problem away for another time. Although whatever you do, don't get a fedora, DO NOT BE THAT PERSON.
Reply 4
Original post by Maker
Go to a good hairdresser.

I do, but they spend ages spraying and straightening it and I dont have an hairdresser everyday.
Original post by Anonymous
Ive always had 'crap hair'. The words of others not just me lol. Ive never really been into style/fashion and am no good at doing hair. I exercise most days so dont want to spend ages on hair only to get it sweaty in the evening. Its very wavy and i can never get it perfectly straight it always kinks when i go outside. Then when i leave it naturally wavy people say it looks a mess. I only have a small face so hair thats long kind of drowns me and in my grandma's wise words makes me 'look like a drag' apprantly.
Ive never known what to do with it or how so style it. Heres a pic, sorry about the blur it actually looks better than my face though lol.

Attachment not found

Cant see image. Define 'mess' is it super puffy after you brush it?
cant see the picture but it sounds like jealousy to me, lots of people want hair with a natural wave for more volume and would love thick hair. Parent and grandparents tend to nit pick for no reason so don't even take your grandmas negative words into account about making you look like a drag.

maybe get highlights and get some long layers and feathering around the face to shape it and keep it from taking over your small face shape? I tend to find that shorter hair takes longer to style everyday and long hair is very low maintenance in terms of styling and looks very pretty with no effort
Reply 7
Original post by PinkAcid
cant see the picture but it sounds like jealousy to me, lots of people want hair with a natural wave for more volume and would love thick hair. Parent and grandparents tend to nit pick for no reason so don't even take your grandmas negative words into account about making you look like a drag.

maybe get highlights and get some long layers and feathering around the face to shape it and keep it from taking over your small face shape? I tend to find that shorter hair takes longer to style everyday and long hair is very low maintenance in terms of styling and looks very pretty with no effort

Its far from jelousy, my hair has always looked either an unmanagable mess or old fashioned and limp when i straighten. I dont like ling hair but im trying to grow the front longer and keep the back shorter so then i can just straighten the front. I suppose i just dont know how to style it. Heres a link as the attachment didnt work.

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p578/raidergalx1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvs3ki68w.jpg
Reply 8
That has been half straightened lol i straightened the ends, went out gor a few hours and that is what it looks like normally ^
Reply 9
Original post by RiahDawson
Cant see image. Define 'mess' is it super puffy after you brush it?

Yes that and it looks like i just woke up.
Have you considered growing it longer?
Maybe it might look better if you grow it out a little, then it can be shaped at the hairdressers, and so on and so on. My hair used to be very short and thin but I grew it out and my hairdresser kept shaping it and cutting it each time so now it's quite thick and styled :-)
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Have you considered growing it longer?

Yes ive had it longer but it still looks the same just either messy or limp. My family say i dont suit long hair as i only have a small face, my grandma said it makes me look like a drag lol. I am growing the front longer though and keeping the back short/neck length. Then it will still look a little stylish at the back even if i cant manage the front. If that makes sense.
Yes ive had it longer but it still looks the same just either messy or limp. My family say i dont suit long hair as i only have a small face, my grandma said it makes me look like a drag lol. I am growing the front longer though and keeping the back short/neck length. Then it will still look a little stylish at the back even if i cant manage the front. If that makes sense.

Okay... do you do anything to style it? What about making it a bit curly with rollers?
that looks really nice lol, seriously. I wish mine looked like that when it was that short. mine used to look like a grown out bowl cut because its poker straight naturally

Attachment not found

Can't see the image could you upload it again :smile:
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Okay... do you do anything to style it? What about making it a bit curly with rollers?

Ive never used rollers I do prefere to just straighten the ends and leave the rest naturally wavy but then i never know what to do with the fringe. I dont want to spend more than 5 mins on it as i fo sport most evenings. My routine is usually wash it at at night then straighten bits of it either before bed (so its easier to straighten in the morn) then in the morn i will straighten the ends again and try to scrunch the rest of it to give volume. After being outside for a few hours though it just goes like in the pic.

I just want some simple way of styling that will stay put all day and looks ok. Though it never stays put all day so i just think whats the point. Even tied back it looks a mess rather than thick, shiny snd smooth as others girls hair looks when they tie it back.
It actually looks alright, from a guy's perspective the face is normally more important than the hairstyle. I wouldn't worry about it the way it is, I'm sure the "I woke up this way" look suits you. If you wear it with confidence that's better than being hopelessly insecure but having fantastic hair.
OK let's not go for a RobML but have it short like mine. Short at back and sides

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending