The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I only found tonight this word and I cannot see how this differs from transgender.
I'd ask an African child but they are too involved in struggling to stay alive whilst this moron is struggling to pinpoint exactly what he/she/it is.

#FirstWorldProblems
Original post by M14B
I only found tonight this word and I cannot see how this differs from transgender.

transgender people identify as either female or male (binary) whilst non-binary do not identify as either.
I think that non-binary people don't get nearly as much respect as they should. A lot of cisgender people say that non-binary people are just trying to be edgy or whatever, but that's not the case. You wouldn't give yourself an identity that no one respects just to seem cool. There's no way you'd put yourself through that. I think that more people would identify as non-binary if there was more education about it, our society is very fast to stick someone in a box of either 'male' or 'female'.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
I'd ask an African child but they are too involved in struggling to stay alive whilst this moron is struggling to pinpoint exactly what he/she/it is.

#FirstWorldProblems

"So long as an African kid is starving everyone else cannot ever have any problems whatsoever. Their lives are all sunshine and happiness"
Original post by lostintrnslation
our society is very fast to stick someone in a box of either 'male' or 'female'.

The reason for that would be that identifying outside the boxes would make you be identifying as something impossible in a biological sense, which can lead people to the conclusion that people doing that are a bit... erm... mentally troubled?
Reply 7
Original post by curiousduck
transgender people identify as either female or male (binary) whilst non-binary do not identify as either.

Asexual?
I four non-binary friends, and they are all awesome friendly people. They don't bite and are really forgiving when you accidentally mess up the pronouns. Non binary people will have a preference, e.g. prefer they/them in stead of he/she. :smile:
Original post by M14B
Asexual?

Don't have a sexual attraction to anyone, Asexual refers to someones sexuality, transgender is related to gender
I don't really have one. I would judge each person as an individual.
No opinion at all. I would find it annoying if they made their identity a continuous talking point.

I personally don't go on about my orientation in general conversations and I expect others to do the same with their orientation or gender identity.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
The reason for that would be that identifying outside the boxes would make you be identifying as something impossible in a biological sense, which can lead people to the conclusion that people doing that are a bit... erm... mentally troubled?

Not everyone is biologically male or female, intersex people exist...
I think if people see themselves as non-binary, that's fine, but one thing I do object to is taking offence from being mis-pronouned (if it's obviously not malicious) - say if someone you don't really know, such as a receptionist or bus driver or waiter, calls you 'he' and you prefer otherwise. It's far-fetched that we should abandon he and she as a society just in case the person you're referring to prefers otherwise.

I'm also curious as to how countries with masculine/feminine-based language deals with non-binary - every time you use an adjective to refer to someone, you have to use the masculine or feminine form, there isn't really a 'neutral' version like we can get away with 'they'.
Reply 14

#FirstWorldProblems

Lol... The rhetoric of the SJW.

Posted from TSR Mobile

#FirstWorldProblems

Are you implying we should check our privilege? What a moronic arguement to make.
Homeless people in Britain have no right to complain because they aren't dying of Ebola in Africa :rolleyes:
If they are anything like my non binery hotdogs, they probably taste bad/off
Original post by lostintrnslation
Not everyone is biologically male or female, intersex people exist...

That's not what non-binary people identify as though, is it?

poor refutation 2/10
Reply 18
they/them? how can you be more than one person
All this labelling and sub-typing is getting ridiculous now. It's like "Well, punk is dead... goth is dead... how else can we refuse to conform? Oh, I have an idea!!!". You're either a male, female or trans, why complicate it any further? Do you enjoy outcasting yourself as much as humanly possible???

Latest