The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gwilym101
Do you not remember people complaining about Idris Elba playing Heimdall in Thor or the mere notion of him playing James Bond? Or John Boyega playing a stormtrooper in The Force Awaken? or Michael B Jordan playing Johnny Storm? or Samuel L Jackson playing Nick Fury?

I've seen way more a double standards in people arguing against this sort of casting, sayings "PC gone stupid", "diversity for diversity's sake" to complain about casting a typically white role with a minority, then use those same arguments to try argue with people upset that a role associated with an ethnic minority gets played by a white person.

I'm talking more about on a national media level. People online always complain about everything and anything. People online complained about Daniel Craig playing Bond because of his hair colour.
On a national media however the attention is only ever on either the racist whitewashing of ethnic characters, or how petty the ignorant racist white folk of Britain are for complaining about the reverse. The Guardian would never run an article about any of the instances you mentioned except to defend them, and that is a double standard.
Yeah ok, so every christmas school production including a Bible story must only class brown/middle eastern looking people, as non-middle eastern people are not allowed to recreate Biblical stories. Nahh.... This is a drama not a historical recreation.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Whether it's hypocrisy or not depends on who is saying it, as well as why they are saying it.

Some of us in this thread have been putting forward an essentially conservative argument for including people who only have recent ancestry in this country, in particular non-whites, in an important part of English culture.

I'm not enough of a narcissist to assume that you pay attention to my posts, but the last thing I am is an SJW, and I'm pretty sure I criticised the people who were bitching about the oscars on this very forum.

I mean hypocrisy from the national media. Obviously on the internet inevitably you'll get people arguing everything and anything from every perspective, but there's a definite, for want of a better word, 'narrative' by the national media over reporting of this. I assure you I definitely wasn't accusing hypocrisy on your part!
Or maybe I'm just paranoid. Meh.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 123
Original post by TimmonaPortella
What possible relevance could this have?

I fear my explanation which is very simple will be misunderstood.
Reply 124
A lot of racists complain immigrants refuse to integrate or learn to be British. Here is an actor doing that exact thing and they get all out of shape over it, its hilarious.
Original post by Dinasaurus
Even JK Rowling was fine with the Hermione thing, she even said she never even originally stated Hermione's race.

IMO she said that not to offend the PC crowd. Just that the book repeatedly mentions she's pale, she turns bright pink when she blushes which people notice (I'd say if she was dark skinned it's not as obvious) and her mum is very pale with green eyes, though in fairness it doesn't mention her dad, but It makes me think she rather did intend them to be white.

Also her own drawing of them, though maybe she's **** at doodling black girls skin tone with pencil.

http://holykaw.alltop.com/harry-potter-characters-drawn-by-jk-rowling-i

Tbf though I don't care. Queen wise it looks kinda dumb if they want any sense of historical accuracy, but if not no big deal tbh.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 126
Original post by joey11223
IMO she said that not to offend the PC crowd. Just that the book repeatedly mentions she's pale, she turns bright pink when she blushes which people notice (I'd say if she was dark skinned it's not as obvious) and her mum is very pale with green eyes, though in fairness it doesn't mention her dad, but It makes me think she rather did intend them to be white.

Also her own drawing of them, though maybe she's **** at doodling black girls skin tone with pencil.

http://holykaw.alltop.com/harry-potter-characters-drawn-by-jk-rowling-i

Does the book say if she is tall or short, fat or thin, has more than one leg etc?
Original post by Maker
Does the book say if she is tall or short, fat or thin, has more than one leg etc?

Dwarf, morbidly obese, three legs (never masturbate with a wand while pregnant).

Watson was a terrible choice for the role really.
Original post by Maker
A lot of racists complain immigrants refuse to integrate or learn to be British. Here is an actor doing that exact thing and they get all out of shape over it, its hilarious.

How is it racist to complain about immigrants refusing to integrate or 'learn to be British'? That sounds like a pretty reasonable reason to complain.

By the way, no one is actually faulting the actress herself; she didn't choose her role. Yet another incoherent and irrelevant argument from you in this thread. Well done.
Reply 129
Original post by NickLCFC
How is it racist to complain about immigrants refusing to integrate or 'learn to be British'? That sounds like a pretty reasonable reason to complain.

By the way, no one is actually faulting the actress herself; she didn't choose her role. Yet another incoherent and irrelevant argument from you in this thread. Well done.

I wonder if the natives in Dubai complain the Brits over there are acting all none araby.

Of course she choose her role, do you think she was walking around doing actory things and the BBC called her out of the blue and told her she has the role in their new drama? Seriously!
Came here hoping to all that is holy that it wasn't either one of the elizabeths. Now I don't know what to feel since I've never heard of that queen

i dont know what else that guy has said BUT what you are saying isnt the point. We encourage foreigners to come here and integrate with society yet we as britons are criticising the BBC for this. That sends a bad message and encourages non integration, and yet on other threads we complain about this too.
Original post by Maker
I wonder if the natives in Dubai complain the Brits over there are acting all none araby.

Of course she choose her role, do you think she was walking around doing actory things and the BBC called her out of the blue and told her she has the role in their new drama? Seriously!

I hope they do. They have the right to. Brits living in Dubai should fully respect their culture.

Well, I'm no expert on the casting process so you're probably right. Regardless of whether she chose her role of not, it doesn't change the fact that no one in the thread is faulting the actress herself.
Original post by Youngmetro
i dont know what else that guy has said BUT what you are saying isnt the point. We encourage foreigners to come here and integrate with society yet we as britons are criticising the BBC for this. That sends a bad message and encourages non integration, and yet on other threads we complain about this too.

Accurately portraying historical figures really has nothing to do with how well foreigners integrate with our society. There are multiple other roles and multiple others TV shows/ movies where they are fairly represented.
Original post by pol pot noodles
I mean hypocrisy from the national media. Obviously on the internet inevitably you'll get people arguing everything and anything from every perspective, but there's a definite, for want of a better word, 'narrative' by the national media over reporting of this. I assure you I definitely wasn't accusing hypocrisy on your part!
Or maybe I'm just paranoid. Meh.

Oh sure. All I'm saying is that the fact that some people are hypocrites doesn't necessarily mean you should oppose this.
Accurately portraying historical figures really has nothing to do with how well foreigners integrate with our society. There are multiple other roles and multiple others TV shows/ movies where they are fairly represented.

Well I was backing up his original statement.

This isnt some accurate historical portrayal, its an adaptation of Shakespeare's work. It's already based on events that arent true so accuracy is not necessary even if the original person was white since it is all fictional anyway. Something that is fictional doesnt need to give a sense of realism. If you feel it makes it less 'real' then tough, its fictional anyway.

When we criticise the portrayal of the character from a fictional story, we send a wrong message to foreigners.
Reply 136
If you're seriously upset about this I think you need to rethink your life.
Original post by Youngmetro
Well I was backing up his original statement.

This isnt some accurate historical portrayal, its an adaptation of Shakespeare's work. It's already based on events that arent true so accuracy is not necessary even if the original person was white since it is all fictional anyway. Something that is fictional doesnt need to give a sense of realism. If you feel it makes it less 'real' then tough, its fictional anyway.

When we criticise the portrayal of the character from a fictional story, we send a wrong message to foreigners.

The events in the play may not be completely accurate but the historical setting and characters in the play are definitely not fictional. His plays still do have a degree of accuracy to them. You can't just dismiss them as completely fictional.
(edited 8 years ago)
I was torn at first, until realising it's an adaptation of Shakespeare, which really does change things. Shakespeare's histories are never really 'deadly serious historical adaptations' at all, with the entire premise of his theatre being willing suspension of disbelief. Othello himself was played by Richard Burbage, a white man. Even female parts were just played by young boys.

If it were more of a serious, modern work (such as Wolf Hall, for a recent example), it may seem more conspicuous. With Shakespeare's work, however, the idioms of live theatre shine through.
Reply 139
If we were true to Shakespeare, we need to replace women in the female roles with boys.

Latest

Trending

Trending