The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Erebor

I had no idea much of the muslim world was so civilized 50 years ago, it's almost surreal. What the hell happened?

The Imperial European Governments moved out (I think)
That's certainly a perfectly valid question if people assumed that each and every one of these women were forced to wear these.
"There is no compulsion in religion" is a fundamental verse of the Quran that is widely neglected

Oh and btw you can still find both covered and uncovered women in all "islamic" countries so the pictures of individual groups of women mean nothing. You can take pictures of both groups of women in any period of time and decide which one you want to use for your propaganda and how you wanna spin it.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
You could ask the same thing for Muslims in the UK tbh

When my grandfather immigrated here, immigrant Muslim women wouldn't wear niqabs or abayas or anything. Many didn't even feel the need to wear a headscarf (my mum didn't in my childhood, now she does :confused:)
I would imagine that there are many women who wear both examples of clothing demonstrated above.
Reply 5
Original post by Butternuts96
That's certainly a perfectly valid question if islamophobes like yourself assumed that each and every one of these women were forced to wear these.
"There is no compulsion in religion" is a fundamental verse of the Quran that is widely neglected by islamophobes and extremists :smile:

Spoiler

So no discussion just straight to calling something islamophobia.
Reply 6
Original post by Serine Soul
You could ask the same thing for Muslims in the UK tbh

When my grandfather immigrated here, immigrant Muslim women wouldn't wear niqabs or abayas or anything. Many didn't even feel the need to wear a headscarf (my mum didn't in my childhood, now she does :confused:)

That's even more weird since in the muslim world, as someone mentioned, the extremists took over after removing western influences. But why would it happen in the UK?
Reply 7
Original post by Woody_Pigeon
I would imagine that there are many women who wear both examples of clothing demonstrated above.

I don't think you are very aware. Women would be literally lynched in the streets in many parts of the muslim world for wearing what they did in the 70's.
When your culture, customs and traditions come under threat, the people that are affected revert to a basic form of their ideals in an effort to preserve their identity and heritage.

This manifests itself in an extreme form and is a form of self-preservation.
Reply 9
Saudi Arabia got trillions of petrodollars and decided to plague the Earth with their ideology so they could be the centre of the Muslim world.

They funded thousands of mosques and madrasas to spread Wahhabism in Muslim countries and communities in the West.
Original post by joecphillips
So no discussion just straight to calling something islamophobia.

Ohhh, I misinterpreted your words and accidentally repped you. My bad. The OP knows how TSR works.

1. Post something immigrant/muslim related
2. Some people reply back explaining something
3. Gang of islamophobes join in bashing Islam from all directions.

Any idiot KNOWS how these things go down. OP ain't looking for an "intellectual discussion".
Reply 11
Ohhh, I misinterpreted your words and accidentally repped you. My bad. The OP knows how TSR works.

1. Post something immigrant/muslim related
2. Some people reply back explaining something
3. Gang of islamophobes join in bashing Islam from all directions.

Any idiot KNOWS how these things go down. OP ain't looking for an "intellectual discussion".

It seems like you are the one shutting down the discussion by calling this islamophobia.
You're right, unfortunately. The exact same thing happened in my country of origin which hasn't been mentioned in the OP. People in Muslim countries have turned extreme in many of the shallower aspects of religion and religious dress is one of the key areas. I'd personally place most of the blame on the clerics and sheikhs, the majority of whom have extreme views - they've done lots of damage to Muslim societies in the last few decades.
Original post by Erebor
I don't think you are very aware. Women would be literally lynched in the streets in many parts of the muslim world for wearing what they did in the 70's.

Alas, half my family is Islamic, the other half Christian.
Original post by joecphillips
It seems like you are the one shutting down the discussion by calling this islamophobia.

Read my previous reply, OP knew this and wasn't looking for intellectual discussions. Any idiot on TSR knows this and so do you but you don't wanna admit it.
Women have tonnes of rights in Islam.. the right to be worth half of a male. The right not to drive. The right to be chauffered by a male relative when entering society. The right to have sex when their husband commands them too.
Reply 16
Original post by cosmic angel
You're right, unfortunately. The exact same thing happened in my country of origin which hasn't been mentioned in the OP. People in Muslim countries have turned extreme in many of the shallower aspects of religion and religious dress is one of the key areas. I'd personally place most of the blame on the clerics and sheikhs, the majority of whom have extreme views - they've done lots of damage to Muslim societies in the last few decades.

It isn't just countries in Asia or Africa, even muslims in the West (especially Europe) are becoming more and more extreme, especially compared to 40-50 years ago. Just look at TSR, so many on here are very candid with their extreme opinions that are the complete opposite of anything resembling democracy, freedom , human rights or the 21st century.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheArtofProtest
When your culture, customs and traditions come under threat, the people that are affected revert to a basic form of their ideals in an effort to preserve their identity and heritage.

This manifests itself in an extreme form and is a form of self-preservation.

This exactly.

To add: these pictures are very selective. Sure women dressed that way in Afghan cities in the 1970s but plenty of other women in rural parts of the country still wore Burqas back then. Similarly if you look at the way Iranian women are dressed in the cities today you will find that they are becoming more and more relaxed. Many wear tight clothing and Chadors which barely cover the hair.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Read my previous reply, OP knew this and wasn't looking for intellectual discussions. Any idiot on TSR knows this and so do you but you don't wanna admit it.

There can never be a intellectual discussion with people like you calling any other opinion islamophobic, racist, sexist, homophobic etc.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Women have tonnes of rights in Islam.. the right to be worth half of a male. The right not to drive. The right to be chauffered by a male relative when entering society. The right to have sex when their husband commands them too.

1. Their testimony is worth half a male; not their value as a human being.
2. The right not to drive is rejected by all scholars except the two/three guys that drew that clever idea up (these guys make the muslims look extreme)
3. What do you mean "entering society"?
4. Women can refuse sex, no husband can force it without it being a sin (although Allah will judge a women for it IN THE AFTERLIFE if she refuses without a valid excuse eg menstruation/headache/illness)
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest