The Student Room Group

"Why I came out to President Obama before I told my parents"

Scroll to see replies

Just take down tumblr. It all started from Tumblr.

Wait ...

Spoiler

Original post by SirMilkSheikh
Another stupid term. She can call her self whatever dumb word she wants to, but I'll continue to call her a woman if she looks like one.

Go back to the 1950s or get with the program and accept not everyone is like you.
Original post by Noodle0
Don't want to rustle any jimmies but transgenderism and non-binary are mental disorders.

Is homosexuality?
Reply 23
Original post by Noodle0
Don't want to rustle any jimmies but transgenderism and non-binary are mental disorders.

A mental disorder is one that leads to pain.

It's pathetic that people who disagree with something always resort to "it's mental disorder".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
She is still one person - the right pronoun would be "it", which is neutral.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Languages student here! :wavey:

The correct gender-neutral pronoun group would actually be they/them/their/theirs. :smile:

Not going to pass comment on the actual subject matter though :smile:
Lol this is getting ridiculous. All these 'gender identities' and now this as well. Personally, I'm just going to say one thing- if you have a penis, you're a man. If you have a vagina, you're a woman.
A mental disorder is one that leads to pain.

It's pathetic that people who disagree with something always resort to "it's mental disorder".

Yeah I agree. Wanting to remain in the EU is a mental disorder.
Reply 27
Original post by Noodle0
Yeah I agree. Wanting to remain in the EU is a mental disorder.

Apparently your birth was so too. :h:
Reply 28
Original post by iEthan
Languages student here! :wavey:

The correct gender-neutral pronoun group would actually be they/them/their/theirs. :smile:

Not going to pass comment on the actual subject matter though :smile:

Interesting... "They" with a singular meaning? Surely a new word is needed.
Interesting... "They" with a singular meaning? Surely a new word is needed.

This has been in English for a long time! I believe it was defunct for a while. But its roots are deeply embedded. Many other languages have gender-neutral pronouns as the they form too. I'd never refer to someone as 'it' though, that would be extremely rude imo :yep:

Language is weird :s-smilie:

i.e. "How are they?" as opposed to "How is she?". "They're fine" as opposed to "She's fine". etc. etc..
She identified as non-binary because she's unattractive to both genders.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by iEthan
This has been in English for a long time! I believe it was defunct for a while. But its roots are deeply embedded. Many other languages have gender-neutral pronouns as the they form too. I'd never refer to someone as 'it' though, that would be extremely rude imo :yep:

Language is weird :s-smilie:

i.e. "How are they?" as opposed to "How is she?". "They're fine" as opposed to "She's fine". etc. etc..

Meh... well, it is rude in a sense, but then again it is neutral (which does cover the topic at hand...)

In any case, if this topic comes up again, especially in person, I'll simply use the person's name repeatedly (even if it gets boring) :P
Meh... well, it is rude in a sense, but then again it is neutral (which does cover the topic at hand...)

In any case, if this topic comes up again, especially in person, I'll simply use the person's name repeatedly (even if it gets boring) :P

Best thing for it I think :tongue:
I took the BBC to be having one of those complete the sentence competitions:

Why I came out to President Obama before I told my parents

My answer:

Because I wanted to feature on the front page of the BBC website and value that more than speaking to my parents
Original post by Bernie2016
Go back to the 1950s or get with the program and accept not everyone is like you.

The 1950s were good times. So calm down and stop being a social justice warrior.
Why would she even bother coming out as "non-binary"? It's not like it's even a real thing.
What I don't understand is that there are a lot of new sexuality/gender types already, is she one of those? I mean from the description non-binary sounds the same as being agender, so she's agender right? Couldn't she use that phrase and quickly define it, because it seems easier to use than "non-binary", or is "non-binary" an all encompassing term for none "normal" gender self recognition and being agender is one example?
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
The 1950s were good times. So calm down and stop being a social justice warrior.

If being a social justice warrior is protecting people who deserve the right to do whatever they want with their life, then I shall keep on being one for as long as I live.
Lol
Original post by Bernie2016
If being a social justice warrior is protecting people who deserve the right to do whatever they want with their life, then I shall keep on being one for as long as I live.

How noble of you to protect the non-binarys' with all your gallantry. You're fighting the good fight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending