The Student Room Group

Why is Zac Goldsmith saying Sadiq Khan is unprincipled?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I don't think the Tories have made a good choice with Goldsmith. He's another one from the Eton-clique who inherited his wealth; he will therefore lose against the son of a bus driver.
Reply 41
Original post by DMcGovern
No politician would do that just for votes.

Many politicians would do anything just for votes.
Original post by JGFHDRT
Why would he say that?

Possibly because he spent the majority of his career trying to ensure freedom for some of the biggest scumbags in the world (often terrorists who wish to kill us) for a paycheck? And that's actually the best case scenario.....
Original post by BubbleBoobies
ahh, so that's how margaret thatcher rose to power, I suppose? not any genuine problems from the labour party?

And apparently Michael Foots manifesto - not nicknamed "the longest suicide note in history" for nothing - was actually a vote winner but the Tories defamed him.

Also, here in 2016, most voters love stupid crap like giving The Falklands to Argentina, refusing to strike against ISIS, over saturating their own labour and reducing their own wages and brown nosing Holocaust deniers. It's just the Tories tricking us into thinking these are bad things and not that Labour have destroyed belief in their judgement as a collective unit by going full retard and electing as leader the most unelectable person imaginable. Course not. We're all mongs who fell hook, line and sinker because we're (as in the entire British electorate minus hardcore Labourites) are incapable of thinking.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb
Many politicians would do anything just for votes.

But he's not one of them.
Original post by DMcGovern
No, Jeremy Corbyn grew up in a deprived working-class background.

Trolling or drugs? If it's the latter you need to hook me up with your dealer......
Reply 46
Original post by Castro Saint
Tory supporters read the titles of Daily Mail articles then take word as bond, then use it in arguments on forums like tsr 😂

unlike those leftists reading the independent/Guardian then?
Original post by Bornblue

That's not the only reason to vote him, but it's a great credit to him that he's took on extremism time and time again.

Precisely my point. But the campaign has focused primarily on this aspect, which is ridiculous.
Original post by Aceadria
Precisely my point. But the campaign has focused primarily on this aspect, which is ridiculous.

I don't think it has. He's spoken a lot about housing, about transport, jobs, attracting businesses etc.

The main candidate making a big deal about the fact that Khan is a Muslim is Goldsmith who's done all he can to try and portay Khan as an extremist or extremist sympathiser.

Khan referencing the fact he's a Muslim is not so much 'I'm a Muslim so vote for me' but more of a 'I've been willing and brave enough to tackle the extremist elements in my own community'. In response to goldsmiths dog whistling. But I wouldn't say it's the only thing he's gone on about.
Khan referencing the fact he's a Muslim is not so much 'I'm a Muslim so vote for me' but more of a 'I've been willing and brave enough to tackle the extremist elements in my own community'. In response to goldsmiths dog whistling. But I wouldn't say it's the only thing he's gone on about.

Precisely. His faith should have nothing to do with the election and neither should he use it for that end.
Precisely. His faith should have nothing to do with the election and neither should he use it for that end.

If goldsmith didn't, he wouldn't have to. It's goldsmiths team trying to portray him as an extremist and Khan responding to that.
(edited 8 years ago)
If goldsmith didn't, he wouldn't have to. It's goldsmiths team trying to portray him as an extremist and Khan responding to that.

You've contradicted yourself there, Bornblue:

Khan is not entirely innocent of using his religion to conjure votes.
You've contradicted yourself there, Bornblue:

Khan is not entirely innocent of using his religion to conjure votes.

True, but his has been largely in response to Goldsmith. The main person to blame for religion coming into this debate has been Zak, not Sadiq.
True, but his has been largely in response to Goldsmith. The main person to blame for religion coming into this debate has been Zak, not Sadiq.

Regardless, he has used it to his benefit (I find issue with that). Goldsmith's flaws are another discussion all together (and there are many).
Regardless, he has used it to his benefit (I find issue with that). Goldsmith's flaws are another discussion all together (and there are many).

Fair enough.
Original post by Josb
I don't think the Tories have made a good choice with Goldsmith. He's another one from the Eton-clique who inherited his wealth; he will therefore lose against the son of a bus driver.

That didn't harm Boris.

I actually don't think Boris would have won this time if he was going for a third term, but at the time, Boris managed to get a cross-society appeal because he had a positivity about him which people liked. Whether he had the ability to back it up or not, he came across as someone who had a positive vision for London, he had a can-do attitude, and seemed like someone who was generally chummy and friendly even if you resented his wealth.

Londoners would never vote for someone like Cameron or Osborne as Mayor but Johnson was a decent choice.

I actually thought Goldsmith, at the time he was chosen, was a good choice for the Tory party for Mayor because whilst he was obviously born in to wealth, he seemed like a decent guy, well mannered and friendly, seemed like he could build cross-party bridges, didn't seem to have that sneering manner against poorer people that some of the Tories have.

However his campaign has been a disaster, an absolute disaster. I think the biggest problem is he doesn't have the charisma for the job of London Mayor. He isn't a big personality, he's quite shy, and he doesn't do "passion" very well. He comes across as a bit indifferent, "yeah housing is bad, yeah we need cleaner air" but you get the feeling that it doesn't affect him personally that much. Whereas Sadiq Khan comes over as someone with a bit more energy and drive so he looks like he'll be motivated to sort things out where I reckon most Londoners look at Zac and think he'll be good at dealing with dignitaries, very polite and well spoken, know how to handle rich foreigners socially etc but isn't going to get his hands dirty fighting their battles if it means ruffling feathers in government etc, whereas Sadiq Khan looks more ruthless in that way.

Tory strategists have seen he is getting his ass kicked in the polls and have said look we need to get you to play dirty here so got him dropping all these smears about Sadiq Khan but Goldsmith seems uncomfortable doing it and its not having much effect on the polls.

No doubt Zac will put a brave face on it but this will be his last foray in to major politics, he is not somebody who would ever get a Ministerial position or anything like that.
Reply 56
Original post by MagicNMedicine
That didn't harm Boris.

I actually don't think Boris would have won this time if he was going for a third term, but at the time, Boris managed to get a cross-society appeal because he had a positivity about him which people liked. Whether he had the ability to back it up or not, he came across as someone who had a positive vision for London, he had a can-do attitude, and seemed like someone who was generally chummy and friendly even if you resented his wealth.

Londoners would never vote for someone like Cameron or Osborne as Mayor but Johnson was a decent choice.

I actually thought Goldsmith, at the time he was chosen, was a good choice for the Tory party for Mayor because whilst he was obviously born in to wealth, he seemed like a decent guy, well mannered and friendly, seemed like he could build cross-party bridges, didn't seem to have that sneering manner against poorer people that some of the Tories have.

However his campaign has been a disaster, an absolute disaster. I think the biggest problem is he doesn't have the charisma for the job of London Mayor. He isn't a big personality, he's quite shy, and he doesn't do "passion" very well. He comes across as a bit indifferent, "yeah housing is bad, yeah we need cleaner air" but you get the feeling that it doesn't affect him personally that much. Whereas Sadiq Khan comes over as someone with a bit more energy and drive so he looks like he'll be motivated to sort things out where I reckon most Londoners look at Zac and think he'll be good at dealing with dignitaries, very polite and well spoken, know how to handle rich foreigners socially etc but isn't going to get his hands dirty fighting their battles if it means ruffling feathers in government etc, whereas Sadiq Khan looks more ruthless in that way.

Tory strategists have seen he is getting his ass kicked in the polls and have said look we need to get you to play dirty here so got him dropping all these smears about Sadiq Khan but Goldsmith seems uncomfortable doing it and its not having much effect on the polls.

No doubt Zac will put a brave face on it but this will be his last foray in to major politics, he is not somebody who would ever get a Ministerial position or anything like that.

Boris was elected under the Labour when it was unpopular. Now people will think that there are a bit too much old Etonians in the highest spheres.

I agree with the rest of your post.
Original post by Josb
Boris was elected under the Labour when it was unpopular. Now people will think that there are a bit too much old Etonians in the highest spheres.

I agree with the rest of your post.

I also think what helped Boris was that the Labour candidate was Ken Livingstone both times. Whilst Ken has had a large support base in London over the years, he has been around a long time. He was leader of the Greater London Council from 1981 to 1986, then was London Mayor from 2000 to 2008. People get bored of the same faces after a while.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending