The Student Room Group

Who else got accepted to St Dominic's Sixth Form College?!?

I'm over the moon! I got in!

:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Yeah me too! Really excited to go next year!
I got given a 6.6 minimum grade average, so I think the lowest I can get is 6 a's and 4 b's, which makes me feel a lot better,
What subjects are you taking?
OMG I got accepted too. I have to get a gcse score of 6.0 meaning i have to get Bs all across. I picked maths and further maths, theatre studies, biology and chemistry. What did you pick?
Original post by jenns_lifestyle
OMG I got accepted too. I have to get a gcse score of 6.0 meaning i have to get Bs all across. I picked maths and further maths, theatre studies, biology and chemistry. What did you pick?

Economics, Maths, Politics and Eng Lit
got in, need score of 6.6

Seriously considering going, hate my school rn
Original post by Youngmetro

I feel you so much!!!

My schools alright, but they won't do a Politics A Level so St Doms it is
Original post by vadermolt1
My schools alright, but they won't do a Politics A Level so St Doms it is

My school is good too, its a grammar school xDD

That said, i dont particularly like it because of the attitude of the teachers and Doms is far closer for me.

Im taking Maths, F maths, econ and physics. I hope they're tough on education, my main worry is that they will slack and ill not get the best grades possible
My school is good too, its a grammar school xDD

That said, i dont particularly like it because of the attitude of the teachers and Doms is far closer for me.

Im taking Maths, F maths, econ and physics. I hope they're tough on education, my main worry is that they will slack and ill not get the best grades possible

Might see you in Econ or Maths then :smile: Though I'm guessing you're taking Mechanics?
Either way, St Dom's has 38% A*/A, and my current school has an average A level grade of D...
Might see you in Econ or Maths then :smile: Though I'm guessing you're taking Mechanics?
Either way, St Dom's has 38% A*/A, and my current school has an average A level grade of D...

Probably econ, i think maths and f maths have their own classes! Im not sure about mechanics, would rather do stats instead

Wow, so St Doms is a big step up for you! My school has 85% A*-A lol
Probably econ, i think maths and f maths have their own classes! Im not sure about mechanics, would rather do stats instead

Wow, so St Doms is a big step up for you! My school has 85% A*-A lol

Definitely a step up lol, though it will probably be weird going to a place where my grades aren't anything special, I need the change.
Definitely a step up lol, though it will probably be weird going to a place where my grades aren't anything special, I need the change.

Well your grades are already pretty special, getting into a college where there were 2000 applicants for 600 places.

Certainly there would be more smart ppl at doms
Well your grades are already pretty special, getting into a college where there were 2000 applicants for 600 places.

Certainly there would be more smart ppl at doms

What do you think about the whole faith thing?
My girl's predicted straight A*'s and got rejected because "no religious reference"
What do you think about the whole faith thing?
My girl's predicted straight A*'s and got rejected because "no religious reference"

In fairness to Doms, they make it quite clear it is best if we are religious.

It's an ongoing issue about the UK being secular but religious schools are allowed to discriminate. I personally think its quite unfair especially when many people, especially teenagers arent particularly religious anyway so it basically depends whether or not your parents are religious.

i know a mate who got rejected as a hindu but had 5A*s and rest As and Bs predicted so i suspect they also discriminate against different religions too. Seems pretty unfair but it is a religious college so i cant make that judgement
In fairness to Doms, they make it quite clear it is best if we are religious.

It's an ongoing issue about the UK being secular but religious schools are allowed to discriminate. I personally think its quite unfair especially when many people, especially teenagers arent particularly religious anyway so it basically depends whether or not your parents are religious.

i know a mate who got rejected as a hindu but had 5A*s and rest As and Bs predicted so i suspect they also discriminate against different religions too. Seems pretty unfair but it is a religious college so i cant make that judgement

Religion becomes less and less important with each generation, and I'm thankful for that. Most people just don't care whether you're Christian or Muslim - an ******* is an *******. Either way, when you apply to a catholic school you know it's going to discriminate on religious grounds - it's kind of their thing.

About your friend, it might not necessarily be that, because of the 4 people who got in from my school, 3 are Hindu, and I'm the only muslim. It could be for plenty of reasons I guess, or maybe they just filled their diversity quota, who knows?
Religion becomes less and less important with each generation, and I'm thankful for that. Most people just don't care whether you're Christian or Muslim - an ******* is an *******. Either way, when you apply to a catholic school you know it's going to discriminate on religious grounds - it's kind of their thing.

About your friend, it might not necessarily be that, because of the 4 people who got in from my school, 3 are Hindu, and I'm the only muslim. It could be for plenty of reasons I guess, or maybe they just filled their diversity quota, who knows?

Well he appealed but they rejected it on the grounds of his religion and academic reference combined. That's whay they said. I suspect that religion did play a part since someone in my school got in with a worse academic reference but was Christian. Yeah, i guess it was that they did fill the quota. But competition was more intense than I thought. Have you paid the 120£?
Well he appealed but they rejected it on the grounds of his religion and academic reference combined. That's whay they said. I suspect that religion did play a part since someone in my school got in with a worse academic reference but was Christian. Yeah, i guess it was that they did fill the quota. But competition was more intense than I thought. Have you paid the 120£?

Yeah, paid it all. Whoever thought of that was smart. It means the only people accepting their offer actually intend to go there, because they wouldn't throw away that money otherwise.

Also love how it says "voluntary contribution" and also lists it in the requirements to enrollment. smh why so shady
Yeah, paid it all. Whoever thought of that was smart. It means the only people accepting their offer actually intend to go there, because they wouldn't throw away that money otherwise.

Also love how it says "voluntary contribution" and also lists it in the requirements to enrollment. smh why so shady

They give refunds to people who reject it after lol. I wasnt 100% sure whether i will leave but i paid it because of the fact that they give the refund.

trust, my school does that a lot, we make fun out of it so much. I dont blame though, then it will seem like you have to pay to get in.

Tbh i have no idea what the school is like, i didnt even go to the open day xD
They give refunds to people who reject it after lol. I wasnt 100% sure whether i will leave but i paid it because of the fact that they give the refund.

trust, my school does that a lot, we make fun out of it so much. I dont blame though, then it will seem like you have to pay to get in.

Tbh i have no idea what the school is like, i didnt even go to the open day xD

Oh right, didn't know about the refunds, that's fair enough then :P

I went to the open day and it was really cool! nice facilities, nice people, the teachers were all enthusiastic and helpful. Honestly I just liked it because it had that mini-university thing going on, you know? No dress code, no real rules. They only let in the kind of people that already care about their education so the system works. The campus is really nice too, also loads of extra-curriculars if thats your thing.
Oh right, didn't know about the refunds, that's fair enough then :P

I went to the open day and it was really cool! nice facilities, nice people, the teachers were all enthusiastic and helpful. Honestly I just liked it because it had that mini-university thing going on, you know? No dress code, no real rules. They only let in the kind of people that already care about their education so the system works. The campus is really nice too, also loads of extra-curriculars if thats your thing.

Tbh all that matters is the quality of teaching to me. Extra curricular isnt a deal breaker. I really hope i get to do the EPQ though.

They dont seem to be very big on discipline so im worried i would get carried away and slack

Quick Reply

Latest