The Student Room Group

Can I take three A levels (two science) and still apply for Oxbridge medicine?

I currently take biology, chemistry, physics & English literature. My past school was not at all good; while I achieved GCSE grades that have never before been attained by someone at my school before, the school inadequately prepared me for my A levels by leading me down the wrong paths for my studies. No one got their predicted grades last year.

I have moved schools, with the same subjects and doing the first year of A level. However, maths isn't exactly my strong point, and A2 physics is proving to be difficult for me -- especially as my mathematical knowledge only really goes as far as GCSE. I have spoken to people about my mitigating circumstances and have contacted universities. I know I am at a disadvantage already, but it isn't impossible for me - even Oxford told me this. I understand that A*A*A* will look better than AABE or something like that.

I want to know if taking three A levels (two of which are scientific subjects) will damage my seemingly already damaged (but again, not possible) chance of studying at Oxbridge (and/or Imperial, Kings & Durham).
There is no university that asks for, or states there is an advantage in doing, four a-levels. It is fine. Advisable, even.
Reply 2
You need three sciences in order to be in with a realistic chance at Cambridge, but there is no advantage to doing more A-levels than that. Oxford will be happy with two sciences, but are you aware of their extremely high GCSE requirements?

Sounds like you've got hung up on the "prestige" of universities, which doesn't matter at all for medicine. Do some research into different types of courses, different universities and what all the various entry requirements are, and pick the ones which suit you best.
Reply 3
Yeah if those are the unis you wanna go to:

Cambridge: A*A*A in 3 sciences

Oxford: 100% A* GCSE + high BMAT

Imperial: High BMAT

King's/Durham: High UKCAT

Make of that what you will. All with high predicted, good PS, work experience etc. etc. etc ofc

TL;DR work as hard as you can and research your 4 schools carefully.
Hi guys,

I am an international student studying my A levels in the UK and I'm considering medicine at Cambridge - does anyone know if both oxford and cambridge demand 4 full A-levels or if 3 is sufficient? If I'm not wrong, offers are always based on 3 science subjects? Also, do these two universities look at AS grades or is predicted grades sufficient, bearing in mind that I do not have GCSE qualifications.

Oh yes I study Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Economics :smile:
Original post by rosemondtan
Hi guys,

I am an international student studying my A levels in the UK and I'm considering medicine at Cambridge - does anyone know if both oxford and cambridge demand 4 full A-levels or if 3 is sufficient? If I'm not wrong, offers are always based on 3 science subjects? Also, do these two universities look at AS grades or is predicted grades sufficient, bearing in mind that I do not have GCSE qualifications.

Oh yes I study Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Economics :smile:

No universities require more than 3 full A-levels, although some may require a 4th at AS. Cambridge requires 3 sciences or 2 sciences and maths, Oxford requires 2 sciences and another subject (although most successful applicants seem to have 3 sciences/maths). Offers are based on the requirements. For students sitting A-levels which include an AS (i.e. not the new run-through syllabus), all medical schools will look at both your AS grades and your predicted grades; if you have AS grades then they will look at them. Cambridge is particularly keen on high AS grades, Oxford on high GCSE grades. As you are international did you do another exam system equivalent to GCSE? If so, this may be acceptable to UK unis but you should contact them to check.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by theresheglows
No universities require more than 3 full A-levels, although some may require a 4th at AS. Cambridge requires 3 sciences or 2 sciences and maths, Oxford requires 2 sciences and another subject (although most successful applicants seem to have 3 sciences/maths). Offers are based on the requirements. For students sitting A-levels which include an AS (i.e. not the new run-through syllabus), all medical schools will look at both your AS grades and your predicted grades; if you have AS grades then they will look at them. Cambridge is particularly keen on high AS grades, Oxford on high GCSE grades. As you are international did you do another exam system equivalent to GCSE? If so, this may be acceptable to UK unis but you should contact them to check.

Hello! Thanks for the really detailed reply :smile: just wondering, are you applying this year as well?
Hello! Thanks for the really detailed reply :smile: just wondering, are you applying this year as well?

No problem. No, I'm a medical student.
No problem. No, I'm a medical student.

If you don't mind me asking, how was your application process like! I'm currently quite clueless about what I have to do etc :frown:
If you don't mind me asking, how was your application process like! I'm currently quite clueless about what I have to do etc :frown:

What part of the application process are you unsure about (is it UKCAT, UCAS, deadlines, picking a uni etc)?
This is an extremely helpful resource for applicants:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

My understanding was that as many people will no longer have AS grades they will no longer be using that system. They are introducing new aptitude tests for other subjects but medicine already had the BMAT so not sure how they will change there.
Original post by nexttime
My understanding was that as many people will no longer have AS grades they will no longer be using that system. They are introducing new aptitude tests for other subjects but medicine already had the BMAT so not sure how they will change there.

Is that so? I heard that many schools are still entering their students for the AS exams so I felt like I was losing out if I didn't sit for them. (I'm the only one in my school sitting for all my AS subjects haha)

Quick Reply