The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Islamophobia does involve the criticism of Islam though.

No it isn't. Look up a definition of Islamophobia pls.
The Shah fell, and the Soviets were pushed out of Afghanistan. In 1975 these were not really Islamic countries at all, more like Western puppet states.
Original post by Youngmetro
You can blame this politically too. People like Amin started to preach in islamic fundamentalism in Afghanistan in the 70s. What had left was a war torn country as USSR invaded and it accelerated the growth of islamic fundamentalism. Western intervention essentially helped give islamic countries a reason for becoming so fundamentalist.

Rubbish. The USSR stamped out political Islam, which is why all these pictures of Afghan women in miniskirts on universities campuses come from that era.
Reply 123

In all honesty, intelligent discussions with deeply complex issues like the one here isnt possible on TSR where people think so simplistically and dont fully understand the problem at hand. No to mention the Islamophobia and Xenophobia that people have on TSR.

Yeah, we're too stupid. Thank you for your enlightening contribution, Mr Smartboy.
Original post by Observatory
Rubbish. The USSR stamped out political Islam, which is why all these pictures of Afghan women in miniskirts on universities campuses come from that era.

They assassinated Amin and invaded Afghanistan, which accelerated the growth of the fundamentalism. Jihadi groups like the Mujahideen also helped this. USSR were certainly against Islam (being communist ofc) but that didnt wipe out political islam, hence why groups like the Mujahideen formed and Afghanistan is in the state it is in.

As i said, it is very complex but what you have said is simply incorrect. The pictures came BEFORE Afghanistan got invaded which was in 1980. You clearly lack knowledge of this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
Yeah, we're too stupid. Thank you for your enlightening contribution, Mr Smartboy.

You're the one who snipped out the main point I was making. You chose to reply to this bit, not the point I was actually making.

Funnily enough, you just prove my point, especially since you choose to put yourself in that position.
They assassinated Amin and invaded Afghanistan, which accelerated the growth of the fundamentalism. Jihadi groups like the Mujahideen also helped this. USSR were certainly against Islam (being communist ofc) but that didnt wipe out political islam, hence why groups like the Mujahideen formed and Afghanistan is in the state it is in.

As i said, it is very complex but what you have said is simply incorrect.

Of course it didn't wipe out political Islam among the population, but eliminated it from power during their occupation.

If their occupation had continued indefinitely, Afghanistan would eventually have been de-Islamicised.

The problem with womens' rights comes from the native culture, not the Soviets (although the Soviets had a lot of other problems!).

If you could not muddle your pro-communist propaganda with the facts, that would be appreciated. :smile:

Original post by Josb

With responses like these, it's hard to disagree.
Original post by Erebor
I had no idea much of the muslim world was so civilized 50 years ago, it's almost surreal. What the hell happened?

So taking random pictures of random women at random places and random dates is supposed to make people think that all the women of the countries above are covered today ?

Go to the countries and 101% you'll be able to take each of the pics.

Being civilized is about wearing what you want. :h:
Of course it didn't wipe out political Islam among the population, but eliminated it from power during their occupation.

If their occupation had continued indefinitely, Afghanistan would eventually have been de-Islamicised.

The problem with womens' rights comes from the native culture, not the Soviets (although the Soviets had a lot of other problems!).

It was no longer in power but it certainly spurred Islamic fundamentalism. This is really what i'm trying to say.

I doubt it would have been de-islamicised, groups like the Mujahideen and the war that occurred proved that people werent accepting of this. But I think we would have to agree to disagree here.

Of course, definitely agree. Soviets were completely anti - Religion
Original post by TheArtofProtest
When your culture, customs and traditions come under threat, the people that are affected revert to a basic form of their ideals in an effort to preserve their identity and heritage.

This manifests itself in an extreme form and is a form of self-preservation.

Why would anyone want to reserve those kinds of customs?
An idea being archaic doesn't necessarily mean that it is wrong.

As for supporting women, perhaps the lack of any discerning features apart from the eyes, means a man is less likely to judge a woman on appearances, as they subconsciously do.

Have you not noticed a link between ex-colonies and poverty? Have you not noticed a link between people of colour and poverty? Have you not noticed the link between "contentment" and poverty in these third world countries?

What I'm saying is that you can't just claim the cause of poverty, within Muslim countries is down to a lack of rights for females.

Do societal customs from hundreds of years ago have any place in the modern world?

Most men have the self control not to act upon it though?

I wasn't even claiming that. I was merely suggesting it may be a factor. You ought to stop putting words in peoples mouths.
Original post by MildredMalone
Why would anyone want to reserve those kinds of customs?

Because it's a choice between stability and uncertainty, and for people who have taken it slow for the last couple of centuries, the acceleration is too fast and too forced.

Let them embrace it in their own time and you won't see the results we are seeing today.
So many islamophobes on TSR it's unreal lol. What you doing with your life? Are your parents proud
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Go to the countries and 101% you'll be able to take each of the pics.

This isn't true. The ones with the women showing cleavage is neither common nor tolerated in the countries mentioned. :holmes:

You're right on the rest, though. :3
Original post by Serine Soul
Do societal customs from hundreds of years ago have any place in the modern world?

Yes it does. It's called culture and tradition.

No one is going to forget their culture and tradition of their ancestors for the sake of the modern world. How you see the modern world is totally subjective.
No it isn't. Look up a definition of Islamophobia pls.

It's funny because as soon as someone criticises Islam, all the Muslims jump and scream "ISLAMOPHOBIA".
Original post by Hydeman
This isn't true. The ones with the women showing cleavage is neither common nor tolerated in the countries mentioned. :holmes:

You're right on the rest, though. :3

I know, but not all the women of Iran for example actually WANT to wear a hijab. So some of them might be "themselve" in hidden places. (Never been to Iran, but my friend lives there and he told me about it)

Original post by KINGYusuf
So many islamophobes on TSR it's unreal lol. What you doing with your life? Are your parents proud

My parents are proud that I'm criticising and thinking for myself.

When Muslims on here insult the West it's ok. But when we insult Islam you go nuts

Original post by Mathemagicien
Lol thread has been reported :facepalm:

Some people are so touchy tbh.
If you could not muddle your pro-communist propaganda with the facts, that would be appreciated. :smile:

Well this is certainly the first time I've ever been accused of being a pro-communist propagandist!

You're right it's a bit more complicated, but not making that much difference in the final analysis. Afghanistan had a reformist king who, under Soviet "advice", established a parliament stacked with reformists. When he finally held a free election, the parliament was controlled by rural conservatives. Rather than face a second such parliament, urban reformists overthrew the king and his parliament and established a leftist one-party state. This state was in turn overthrown by communists who, without any real support in the country, appealed to the Soviets to back their rule, which the Soviets did.

Reformism and later full-blown communism in Afghanistan began as a coupist movement by a native urban elite minority, with the Soviets acting only as advisers and political backers, but it never commanded enough support to stay in power on its own. If the Soviets had not backed it up, it would have fallen even sooner.

Latest