The Student Room Group

C2 AS Maths help algebra and functions question?

conf.PNG
I get how to do part (a) and part (c) but I'm totally lost on how to do part (b)
Reply 1
Original post by jessnoch
conf.PNG
I get how to do part (a) and part (c) but I'm totally lost on how to do part (b)

If f(1)=0f(1) = 0 then that must mean x=1x=1 is a root, so that you can factorise f(x)=(x1)()f(x) = (x-1)(\cdots) where the ()(\cdots) is some quadratic that you find by using long division on f(x)f(x) with x1x-1. Then you can probably further factorise that quadratic.

By the way, post maths queries in the maths forum next time.
conf.PNG

you need to do polynomial division
YouTube search algebraic long division for the second
once you use this you'll get a quadratic factor (I think that's it's name). Then you can factorise this to find all three overall linear factors.
Btw what were the ans to the Qs, wanna check with what I've done

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
If f(1)=0f(1) = 0 then that must mean x=1x=1 is a root, so that you can factorise f(x)=(x1)()f(x) = (x-1)(\cdots) where the ()(\cdots) is some quadratic that you find by using long division on f(x)f(x) with x1x-1. Then you can probably further factorise that quadratic.

By the way, post maths queries in the maths forum next time.

Thankyou, that helped
Reply 5
Original post by FatimaHere
YouTube search algebraic long division for the second
once you use this you'll get a quadratic factor (I think that's it's name). Then you can factorise this to find all three overall linear factors.
Btw what were the ans to the Qs, wanna check with what I've done

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://c4a3f001dcd45afe69d0ceec83003f9fbc283b2c.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYSGtmV3dzVVVvNTg/January%202006%20MS%20-%20C2%20Edexcel.pdf
here's the mark scheme, its question 1
Reply 6
Thankyou, that helped

No worries.

Quick Reply

Latest