The Student Room Group

The Paradox of TSR

I have such a love hate relationship with TSR. It's probably why I keep going underground and then back again.

What I love about it:

-meeting people who understand the often esoteric nature of some mental health conditions which makes me feel less alone and less insane. (Airmed, TLG, Jenx301)

-the mods (sb, iEthan, airmed esp.)

-the fact that age, location, background play an insignificant role and this allows you to connect with like minded people when typically irl you wouldn't because of those considerations. Eg French Unicorn is in Paris, and homeland is only 16 but on TSR it doesn't matter.

-that I have actually got a support network of people that I know really care for me and would do anything they could to be there (BrokenLife, cupofgreentea, strawbari, queen bee, CoolCavy, Blondie, Indeterminate, Axel, Z33)

-how much it makes me laugh and some of the absolutely hilarious personalities on here (the bear, spoder, planta, Hydeman, MrsSheldonCooper, nucdev, Hodor)

-that the site gives a platform to be open about things that irl you are constantly suppressing in order to appear 'fine' or 'normal'. Since writing about a lot of my stuff in the blog, I have become so much more confident to tell people irl how it really is.

-that I'm actually beginning to meet people from the site irl and form proper friendships which I believe will be sustained well into the future and beyond TSR (brokenlife, ifoundwonderland)

What I hate about it:

-how addictive it is and that my life has been taken over by it a bit.

-that I sometimes don't work on some of the stuff im feeling deep down and use it as a distraction.

-that people needlessly pass comments about me all the time and think it's okay to abuse my facial features, voice, and my general personhood.

-that I've been accused of making up/faking my mental health issues when I've strived to be more open about them to help others and find solidarity.

-that each subsequent gem gets harder and harder to get. :colonhash:

-the dupes and trolls that come on to bait people because it's funny. And especially: that this affects people I have come to care about.

-that people make assumptions on who I am and judge me before getting to know me.

-that people use the anonymity to say some really terrible things.

Overall, I think the positives outweigh the negatives by a long way :yes: and this is why I'm still here probs :facepalm2:

So anyway, /essay, what do you love and hate about TSR ?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What I love: your presence

What I hate: your absence

:lovehug:
Original post by Hodor_van_Groot

That is so soppy Hodor.

But then you are my husband :mmm:
Hate about TSR- I'm supposed to be revising atm

:colonhash:
Reply 4
Original post by Hodor_van_Groot

What a groveller!
:redface:
Original post by Ethereal World
I have such a love hate relationship with TSR. It's probably why I keep going underground and then back again.

What I love about it:

-meeting people who understand the often esoteric nature of some mental health conditions which makes me feel less alone and less insane. (Airmed, TLG, Jenx301)

-the fact that age, location, background play an insignificant role and this allows you to connect with like minded people when typically irl you wouldn't because of those considerations. Eg French Unicorn is in Paris, and homeland is only 16 but on TSR it doesn't matter.

-that I have actually got a support network of people that I know really care for me and would do anything they could to be there (BrokenLife, cupofgreentea, strawbari, queen bee, CoolCavy, Blondie, Indeterminate, Axel, Z33)

-how much it makes me laugh and some of the absolutely hilarious personalities on here (the bear, spoder, planta, Hydeman, MrsSheldonCooper, nucdev, Hodor)

-that the site gives a platform to be open about things that irl you are constantly suppressing in order to appear 'fine' or 'normal'. Since writing about a lot of my stuff in the blog, I have become so much more confident to tell people irl how it really is.

-that I'm actually beginning to meet people from the site irl and form proper friendships which I believe will be sustained well into the future and beyond TSR (brokenlife, ifoundwonderland)

What I hate about it:

-how addictive it is and that my life has been taken over by it a bit.

-that I sometimes don't work on some of the stuff im feeling deep down and use it as a distraction.

-that people needlessly pass comments about me all the time and think it's okay to abuse my facial features, voice, and my general personhood.

-that I've been accused of making up/faking my mental health issues when I've strived to be more open about them to help others and find solidarity.

-that each subsequent gem gets harder and harder to get. :colonhash:

-the dupes and trolls that come on to bait people because it's funny. And especially: that this affects people I have come to care about.

-that people make assumptions on who I am and judge me before getting to know me.

-that people use the anonymity to say some really terrible things.

Overall, I think the positives outweigh the negatives by a long way :yes: and this is why I'm still here probs :facepalm2:

So anyway, /essay, what do you love and hate about TSR ?

don't give up the struggle Eth... the climb up success mountain will challenge you in fresh and unexpected ways but with the help of the TSR Community you can reach the top :h:
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Hate about TSR- I'm supposed to be revising atm

:colonhash:

But what do you love R?

Spoiler

That is so soppy Hodor.

But then you are my husband :mmm:

Just trying to be the typical cheesy hubby here :u:
Original post by SeanFM
When you slide into someone's VMs and they're too young :colonhash:

If age is a consideration for visitor messages then :redface:
The Student Room - lowering students' grades since 2000 and whatever.

Oh the irony
But what do you love R?

Spoiler

You know who :wink:
Em :jumphug:

What I love :
* Honesty. As you said, the fact that in here appearance/age/location does not matter ! And we can get to know each other without having the influence of the appearance, which is great :h:

* Life. TSR helped me keeping my mind busy when I was really down. Not a real life maybe, but it helped me keeping moving forward in real life.

* Love. I met incredible people here who became my true friends that I'm planning to meet in real life

Spoiler

* Greatguy. :colone:

What I hate :
* Obession. About everything and everyone. Some people are just obsessed.

* Creeps. Sexual frustrated teenager, and real predators. They know who they are. Having french in my username means I can be a fraud, an ugly person, I can be really hairy and fat and mean and whatever. Leave me alone.

* Frauds. Just people who lie. About their whole life, job, friends, ALL OF IT. Just.. Why ?

:penguinhug:
If age is a consideration for visitor messages then :redface:

I was just making that up for the purpose of posting a silly vine. :innocent:

Spoiler

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
You know who :wink:

Voldemort ?

:afraid:

Spoiler

Original post by SeanFM
I was just making that up for the purpose of posting a silly vine. :innocent:

Spoiler

Loooool nah I get you but I think that it's PMs where real care has to be applied :yep:
Original post by the bear
don't give up the struggle Eth... the climb up success mountain will challenge you in fresh and unexpected ways but with the help of the TSR Community you can reach the top :h:

I shall not. I am strong and independent woman who will never let the patriarchy get in the way of my dreams. Your other 11 gem pal said that this is an excuse :colonhash: but it isn't. But I will not let it stand in my way.
Loooool nah I get you but I think that it's PMs where real care has to be applied :yep:

Duly noted :K:
I shall not. I am strong and independent woman who will never let the patriarchy get in the way of my dreams. Your other 11 gem pal said that this is an excuse :colonhash: but it isn't. But I will not let it stand in my way.

[scrollr]gem gem gem gem gem gem gem gem gem gem gem[/scrollr]

[video="youtube;PNDl41HfvxI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNDl41HfvxI[/video]

:party:
Reply 18
Bagging this space so I can explain my love/hate relationship once I have finished writing notes. :h:

What I love about TSR:

- The people I have gotten to know: Ethereal, TLG, Cavy, MM, Hydeman, a load from the MHoC and MHSS.
- MHSS thread. It's a brilliant comfort to me. I know that I am not the only one suffering with horrible mental health issues.
- Being a mod and knowing the rest of the mod team. Honestly, those guys are bloody brilliant.

What I hate about TSR:

- How it is a big distraction. Seriously addictive. Not good.
- That I have been targeted for my MH.
- The bullies. Need I say anymore there?
(edited 8 years ago)
I thought most of the frequent TSR users were the nerdy, unsocial, unfit, "less British" people (including myself). However it turns out that most are physically fit and see friends irl :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest