The Student Room Group

French speaking tomorrow, haven't learnt it yet!

Last minute tips on memorising a 400 word french essay to say out loud! I'm not to worried because I've had A*s on all my other controlled assessments, just can't seem to be able to remember anything I have written!
Help is much appreciated
No secret. Just have to recite it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again until you're sick of it. And after you've done that, take a short break and then

Spoiler

Original post by TheFarmerLad
No secret. Just have to recite it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again until you're sick of it. And after you've done that, take a short break and then

Spoiler

Yay me :wink: Haha thank you xx
Original post by aliceharmer15
Last minute tips on memorising a 400 word french essay to say out loud! I'm not to worried because I've had A*s on all my other controlled assessments, just can't seem to be able to remember anything I have written!
Help is much appreciated
In my experience sitting down and just reading it in chunks really works, bash out the first paragraph, then the second and so on until its permanently engrained into your brain. When I did these speaking's I sat down the night before not knowing any of it and by the time I went to bed I knew it all. Doing it before sleep helps as it stays in your brain over night and trust me you'll be fine.
Original post by brendog123
In my experience sitting down and just reading it in chunks really works, bash out the first paragraph, then the second and so on until its permanently engrained into your brain. When I did these speaking's I sat down the night before not knowing any of it and by the time I went to bed I knew it all. Doing it before sleep helps as it stays in your brain over night and trust me you'll be fine.

Thank you so much, that's exactly what I've done and it has worked! Just got to learn two more paragraphs, but I'll do that before bed and then run through it again a few times. Thanks xx
You could record yourself saying it on your phone or something and then play it continuously while you sleep tonight? That's how I always remember them, when I wake up I know it much better than before I've gone to sleep. I'd just make sure to get and app that will play a recording continuously as I know on my phone you can't do it on the pre-installed voice memo app, but I guess it would depend on your phone or whatever you would record it on
If you're particular good at French you could improvise if you forgot some bits - however otherwise just keep reciting it, record yourself and recite it over and over. You can take a note card in so maybe but the sentence starters or the first letter of each word for pointers. Good luck :smile:
Original post by caitlinford3
If you're particular good at French you could improvise if you forgot some bits - however otherwise just keep reciting it, record yourself and recite it over and over. You can take a note card in so maybe but the sentence starters or the first letter of each word for pointers. Good luck :smile:

Yeah I think that I'll probably improvise a bit - because there's no way I'll learn it word for word! Yeah I'm allowed to take in a sheet with 40 words, but I have a feeling that would just distract me haha. Thanks so much for the advice though xx
Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt
You could record yourself saying it on your phone or something and then play it continuously while you sleep tonight? That's how I always remember them, when I wake up I know it much better than before I've gone to sleep. I'd just make sure to get and app that will play a recording continuously as I know on my phone you can't do it on the pre-installed voice memo app, but I guess it would depend on your phone or whatever you would record it on

That sounds like a really good idea, thank you! I'll definitely try it. Xx
Original post by aliceharmer15
Yeah I think that I'll probably improvise a bit - because there's no way I'll learn it word for word! Yeah I'm allowed to take in a sheet with 40 words, but I have a feeling that would just distract me haha. Thanks so much for the advice though xx

You're welcome. Yeah I felt mine would've distracted me so I just had a few words with the phonetic pronunciation on so I didn't forget haha! xx
Although you're only at GCSE, you probably do know more french than you realise and could improvise if you get stuck. I can't memorise anything so I learnt a few landmark phrases throughout my essay and just practiced improvising in between them. Landmark phrases are important so you don't get lost or waffle and you can make sure you're meeting all the criteria, I had the first word or two of each of these on my 40 word sheet. Splitting it into sections will definitely help too, things like writing it out in different colours to help you visualise it in the exam are helpful.
Original post by Charlotte49
Although you're only at GCSE, you probably do know more french than you realise and could improvise if you get stuck. I can't memorise anything so I learnt a few landmark phrases throughout my essay and just practiced improvising in between them. Landmark phrases are important so you don't get lost or waffle and you can make sure you're meeting all the criteria, I had the first word or two of each of these on my 40 word sheet. Splitting it into sections will definitely help too, things like writing it out in different colours to help you visualise it in the exam are helpful.

Thanks this was really helpful xx

Quick Reply

Latest