The Student Room Group

Allergic to Second-hand Vape Smoke

(On anon because I sound like such a loser)

So my mum's boyfriend came over to stay yesterday and he vapes quite a lot and had a few puffs before walking out to where I was. It was at exactly that moment that my throat felt so sore and felt like it was closing up and I can't stop sneezing.
This sounds stupid but could I be allergic to second hand vape smoke? Because like I said this all suddenly began after inhaling some fumes.

Any advice apreciated :colondollar:
Are you asthmatic? As far as I'm aware vape "smoke" is just water vapour
Reply 2
Original post by BhagwanNoBhool
Are you asthmatic? As far as I'm aware vape "smoke" is just water vapour

Nope, I was for a very brief amount of time when I was a child if that counts though.
And that's what I thought which is why I'm so confused
Original post by Anonymous
Nope, I was for a very brief amount of time when I was a child if that counts though.
And that's what I thought which is why I'm so confused

Perhaps there are chemicals in the flavouring you're allergic to then. Not sure what else it could be I'm afraid :dontknow:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
(On anon because I sound like such a loser)

So my mum's boyfriend came over to stay yesterday and he vapes quite a lot and had a few puffs before walking out to where I was. It was at exactly that moment that my throat felt so sore and felt like it was closing up and I can't stop sneezing.
This sounds stupid but could I be allergic to second hand vape smoke? Because like I said this all suddenly began after inhaling some fumes.

Any advice apreciated :colondollar:

You might want to check with a doc. Could be something like asthma i guess or you could have problems with the specific flavour giving you a reaction.
Take note of what flavour he has and what it contains and see if you have the same reaction to any other flavours. Hopefully it's just the one flavour irritates your throat so he can just stop using that one.

Has it only happened recently or is it something you always notice? If it is only recent it may be due to you having a somewhat irritated throat (loads of bugs going around at the moment) that gets made worse by the vapour. I find that the first sign of me having and infection or flu is being bothered by scents I normally have no problem with.

Since you previously had asthma all be it for a short time and it's to do with your breating (a pretty imprtant aspect of health) i'd see a doctor or at least a pharmacist about it. If it is only a small amount of reaction and gets better soon after you can probably wait a bit and see how it goes, but if it is a bad reaction and you feel like you have actual trouble breathing or it lasts a long time don't risk it. Get rid of that flavour and be careful with new ones incase you have the same reaction. If you have trouble breathing you should also see a doctor sooner rather than later since if it got any worse you could be in real trouble and it coukd be a sign of a bigger issue that needs attention and treatment.

If you aren't sure how serious your breathing troubles are and don't want to go to the doc for something little, call 111 and see what they suggest or go to a pharmacy and ask there.

Oh and btw you don't sound like a looser. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply