The Student Room Group

Essay advice - MSc in Neuro

So my essay requires me to critically appraise published evidence to suggest effective strategies for family support in the context of a brain injury.. because it is thought that family support means that the longer term outcomes for someone with a brain injury are better.

I've found research studies, I've critically appraised them and now I'm at the part where I bring it all together to suggest effective strategies [based on the research].

I also work for an organisation who provide services for people with brain injuries, and we've recently been looking into developing programmes that will support families.

The strategies that I found in my research are essentially the strategies that we are planning to use.. So I wondered if I could add something in the discussion of my essay - were I essentially speak about what we are planning to do, and how the research backs that up.

Thing is though, the question specifically asks for strategies based on published evidence and while the strategies that we will use are based on published evidence, there isn't any evidence to suggest that.. specifically, our strategies will be effective.

It's quite a dangerous territory, because it'll mean I'm going beyond what the essay is asking for but at the same time, I'm also moving away from the question.

It's about wanting to add something unique to really push my mark up, but I'm not sure if it'll bring it down because I'm not doing exactly what the question is asking.

Thoughts?
Reply 1
@swirly thoughts of the effectiveness of my action following your little sarcastic comment about making a thread?

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by SA-1
@swirly thoughts of the effectiveness of my action following your little sarcastic comment about making a thread?

Spoiler

aint nobody reading that wall of text:colonhash:

your original question was who is good at writing essays- if you post in the chat section it would've been replied to.
Original post by SA-1

A unique twist that doesn't answer the question detracts from the hoop you are being asked to jump through. All the value the practical experience adds is a final sentence in the conclusion that says something like The [Whatever charity] is working on implementing a programme very similar to the proposals made in this paper. Evidence of the benefits derived from this programme will be published in 2017. Don't distort the basic task of answering the question because of a personal interest
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
A unique twist that doesn't answer the question detracts from the hoop you are being asked to jump through. All the value the practical experience adds is a final sentence in the conclusion that says something like The [Whatever charity] is working on implementing a programme very similar to the proposals made in this paper. Evidence of the benefits derived from this programme will be published in 2017. Don't distort the basic task of answering the question because of a personal interest

Thank you for your response.

I actually am thinking of doing my thesis on this so it could potentially be published in 2017. I wondered if it'll be worth making that statement at all though?
Reply 5
Original post by SA-1

Spoiler

:colonhash:
Original post by SA-1
Thank you for your response.

I actually am thinking of doing my thesis on this so it could potentially be published in 2017. I wondered if it'll be worth making that statement at all though?

Not if you are thinking about writing a thesis. If the charity proposes a formal, published assessment of the project you are referring to, then that is the document to refer to, if you know when the review and publication might be. Otherwise it's all ifs, mights and maybe's.
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift
Not if you are thinking about writing a thesis. If the charity proposes a formal, published assessment of the project you are referring to, then that is the document to refer to, if you know when the review and publication might be. Otherwise it's all ifs, mights and maybe's.

So it's better to speak with them about it before making empty promises isn't it?
Original post by SA-1
So it's better to speak with them about it before making empty promises isn't it?

No, what I'm saying is that you are vastly over complicating the essay for the sake of nothing. The only way the practical application of this new methodology is relevant to your essay is if it is in published form. It isn't in published form at the moment, it isn't even in practical effect. So the only value it offers, within the bounds of the task you have been set, is if you can say that, at some date in the future, this practical application will be producing published evidence. It offers a sentence or two at most, at the end of the essay, which offers the suggestion that your analysis is perhaps going to be tested, but the evidence will be some time in coming.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending