The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

WiFi in halls? What's it like?

Just checking out the Warwick accomodation info pages and they all have got 'wifi in hall'. What does that mean? Can you get wifi from each bedroom? Also what is it like anyone got first hand report on how fast it is etc?

I run internet businesses so hoping its fast and accessible :biggrin:
It's available in the rooms and in the uni buildings. It's a little faster and much more reliable than at home. 20Mb/s down atm. There's also ethernet connections in the rooms.

Depending on the nature of your business and what you're planning to do it may run counter to the internet policy. For example you aren't allowed to run servers on the uni internet.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Well you can run lol at 10 ping with an ethernet , so pretty sure its great. I think this was from tocil not sure
Original post by morgan8002
It's available in the rooms and in the uni buildings. It's a little faster and much more reliable than at home. 20Mb/s down atm. There's also ethernet connections in the rooms.

Depending on the nature of your business and what you're planning to do it may run counter to the internet policy. For example you aren't allowed to run servers on the uni internet.

Is that 20 Megabytes or Megabits per sec? :h:
Original post by TheSnazzyMan
Is that 20 Megabytes or Megabits per sec? :h:

Bits. b stands for bits, B for bytes.
Bits. b stands for bits, B for bytes.

Of course I know that... you just can never be sure what people mean. I can remember how one of my friends tried to sell me that you can get 100 MBytes download with a general LTE contract in my homecountry lol
Of course I know that... you just can never be sure what people mean. I can remember how one of my friends tried to sell me that you can get 100 MBytes download with a general LTE contract in my homecountry lol

Okay. In some countries you can actually get speeds on that order of magnitude(not on LTE though).
Wifi is wifi, with all of the attendant ping problems. It is available in all rooms, though, and you have an ethernet port. Speeds are fast: the above is a lower bound at peak times, that we've been sitting on a lot recently with the JANET attacks, but if you're on when there's not much demand, and nothing like that is going on, you can pull multiple hundred MB (and I do mean that capital B).
Okay. In some countries you can actually get speeds on that order of magnitude(not on LTE though).

Would be awesome if we had Google Fiber.

Original post by BlueSam3
Wifi is wifi, with all of the attendant ping problems. It is available in all rooms, though, and you have an ethernet port. Speeds are fast: the above is a lower bound at peak times, that we've been sitting on a lot recently with the JANET attacks, but if you're on when there's not much demand, and nothing like that is going on, you can pull multiple hundred MB (and I do mean that capital B).

That sounds a lot more like uni internet speed now haha. Does anyone know if your web activity is being monitored?
Would be awesome if we had Google Fiber.

That sounds a lot more like uni internet speed now haha. Does anyone know if your web activity is being monitored?

In theory it says it might be, but I'm not aware of any evidence that it actually is.

Quick Reply

Latest