The Student Room Group

3 A levels in a year self studying

Is it possible? I'm looking at doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I've already done a year in Ireland (5th year), but for personal reasons I'm moving to England. Like I've stated, I've already done a year in Physics and Maths, but not Further Maths. I'm hoping that a lot of the information from Maths and Physics will bleed over into Further Maths.

I would also like to achieve pretty good grades, preferably all As, which I personally think I'm capable of. Is it realistically possible?
Original post by king98
Is it possible? I'm looking at doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I've already done a year in Ireland (5th year), but for personal reasons I'm moving to England. Like I've stated, I've already done a year in Physics and Maths, but not Further Maths. I'm hoping that a lot of the information from Maths and Physics will bleed over into Further Maths.

I would also like to achieve pretty good grades, preferably all As, which I personally think I'm capable of. Is it realistically possible?

I personally think this would put you under way too much stress. Taking 3 AS levels in a year is intense enough, but doing the entire 3 A Levels would be impossible. There would be too much information to learn! On top of this, many schools will not be able to fit this in to their timetable. To fit your lessons for both AS and A level will be a challenge and may mean you would have to have private lessons with the teachers, which may not be possible. Before I started AS, I would have said go for it...but doing AS levels right now I really wouldn't advice it. Within a year, it may be hard to achieve the grades you want.

However, saying this if you have already taken a year in Ireland, you may be able to, depending on how much the curriculum crosses over. My advice would be to look into the specification of the subjects you want to take. Make sure you get the right boards for the school that you are planning on going to. If you feel you can handle it, then it is your decision.

But, as I said earlier, I think it would be too much, especially if you want to maintain your sanity.

Hope this helped!
Original post by PoirotIsFit
I personally think this would put you under way too much stress. Taking 3 AS levels in a year is intense enough, but doing the entire 3 A Levels would be impossible. There would be too much information to learn! On top of this, many schools will not be able to fit this in to their timetable. To fit your lessons for both AS and A level will be a challenge and may mean you would have to have private lessons with the teachers, which may not be possible. Before I started AS, I would have said go for it...but doing AS levels right now I really wouldn't advice it. Within a year, it may be hard to achieve the grades you want.

However, saying this if you have already taken a year in Ireland, you may be able to, depending on how much the curriculum crosses over. My advice would be to look into the specification of the subjects you want to take. Make sure you get the right boards for the school that you are planning on going to. If you feel you can handle it, then it is your decision.

But, as I said earlier, I think it would be too much, especially if you want to maintain your sanity.

Hope this helped!

Not true.

I am doing 3 complete A levels started in mid-January. (Maths, Further Maths, Economics)

I did the 2014 papers as mock exams and got 98 or 100 UMS in all papers. There is not too much material to learn.
If you don't have much else in the way of commitments, and have some ability in those subjects, I think that will be easily doable.
A recipe for death
Reply 5
Original post by get_dem_A_stars
Not true.

I am doing 3 complete A levels started in mid-January. (Maths, Further Maths, Economics)

I did the 2014 papers as mock exams and got 98 or 100 UMS in all papers. There is not too much material to learn.

Are you self studying? if so, how is your schedule planned out? How many hours of study do you do per day?
Easy enough. You already have a year's knowledge of maths and physics, so it's just 4 half A-levels to learn in a year and some of your further maths will cross over with maths and physics.
Original post by king98
Are you self studying? if so, how is your schedule planned out? How many hours of study do you do per day?

Yeah, I am a private candidate.

I am very organised and when I make a plan I stick to it. I have spent about eight to ten hours per day for the last three months. That includes weekends!!! I have done every past paper question there is for AQA. That was well over 1500 of them. Plus I made my own notes from scratch which took me about a month of that time.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest