The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellamoon_22
Screenshot_2016-04-24-09-47-14.pngmaximum an A????

Maximum grade is an A for speaking and listening and coursework. But the exam makes it an A* overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
so if I got A in coursework and speaking and A in test wuld tht be A or A*

Also what mark exactly do I need out of 50 to get A* I cant find it anywhere:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I think what that means is... Each component can only have a maximum grade of an A. However the table bellow shows when you add all these components up you get a total score... Which you can get an A* on.

Also what mark exactly do I need out of 50 to get A* I cant find it anywhere:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our teachers have always told us that you need to get 108 marks all together for an A* and 98 marks for an A
Don't know if this help but it's what we've always been told
Original post by MariumKazmi

Our teachers have always told us that you need to get 108 marks all together for an A* and 98 marks for an A

For November 2015 you needed 94 for an A but I think the reason why your teacher is telling you 98 for A is because 98 is a definite guarantee of an A as the grade boundaries or grade thresholds (as Cambridge like to call it) change all the time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MariumKazmi

108 out what?? But yhh thnks this helped
Reply 126

108 out what?? But yhh thnks this helped

Out of 125. This includes the Coursework mark out of 50, Speaking and Listening mark out of 25 and the Exam itself equates to 50 marks.
Original post by ibte10
Right guys i hope to release my guide tommorow. I know it sounds funny but i am really bad at descriptive writing so would anybody be willing to give me some help? Pm me if you are willing to help. I honestly think that i would be better off without coursework lol.

Have you released the guide? Where can I access it?
Original post by k.m.b
Is it true that you cannot get an a* in this exam?

Only in the extended you can get A*
Original post by mizzie rowberry
Only in the extended you can get A*

can you explain what extended is? In my paper it just has 3 questions and yeah, my teacher told me, no matter how high you score, you can't get an a* in this paper
Original post by k.m.b
can you explain what extended is? In my paper it just has 3 questions and yeah, my teacher told me, no matter how high you score, you can't get an a* in this paper

Exactly
Exactly

sorry, but what do you mean?
Original post by k.m.b

well i was supposed to be getting B's in GCSE english but i just couldn't get the grade up , so my teacher moved me to IGCSE extended so it is slightly easier but i can still get the grade i was hoping for it is basically just different mark scheme to normal IGCSE
Reply 133
Sorry guys i have not completed the guide yet. I have pretty much completed the tips for each question but including model answers is going to take more time. So, what do you want to see? I can release the version without the model answers or you could wait a bit longer and have access to model answers. The choice is yours.
Original post by k.m.b
sorry, but what do you mean?

I mean tht i dont think A* is possible on the paper but people keep saying i can get it
Original post by ibte10
Sorry guys i have not completed the guide yet. I have pretty much completed the tips for each question but including model answers is going to take more time. So, what do you want to see? I can release the version without the model answers or you could wait a bit longer and have access to model answers. The choice is yours.

U did ur test last year right?? And can I hav the guide pls i dont mind without model answers

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it adds up to make 105-109/125 then yes you'll get an A* depending on the grade boundaries for an A*. If you got 24/25 in the speaking and listening and 44/50 for your coursework then this would be added together so 44+24 = 68 so you would need around 40/50 in the exam to get an A*. It all depends on the grade boundaries but for an A* its normally around the 105/109 boundary and not sure what it is for an A!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ibte10

It would be great if you could show us the tips... There's only a few days left till the exams. Thankyou ever so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ibte10

how long would it take to put the model answers in? i'd like the model answers too to get a good idea. The exam's in a week though, would it be done by tomorrow? thanks in advance
Original post by ibte10

Would you be able to release the version without model answers and then release another version around wednesday (to give you more time) with the model answers?
This way we can see both without wasting our time!
Thank you so much for doing this though. It means a lot :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending