The Student Room Group

Computer science vs business

I have chosen triple science for gcse next year I want to choose computer science or business as my second option can anyone compare the two to help me choose please thank you
Original post by Anonymous1502
I have chosen triple science for gcse next year I want to choose computer science or business as my second option can anyone compare the two to help me choose please thank you

I am genuinely sorry to see that this has gone unanswered. I do not know anything about those GCSEs but I will bump this, though you may have made a decision already.

Again, sorry that this has not been answered and good luck! :redface:
Computer science!! ;D Reason: Every company has to use computers.

THE END.
I did Business at GCSE. I got a B. It was absolutely pants. IT DOES NOT TEACH YOU HOW TO RUN A BUSINESS, OR EVEN HOW BUSINESSES OPERATE. Those were the misconceptions I had when I did it. Don't do it. It's a useless GCSE.

Computer Science, on the other hand, gives you a decent foundation into some languages, and is certainly more useful than Business.
Reply 4
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I did Business at GCSE. I got a B. It was absolutely pants. IT DOES NOT TEACH YOU HOW TO RUN A BUSINESS, OR EVEN HOW BUSINESSES OPERATE. Those were the misconceptions I had when I did it. Don't do it. It's a useless GCSE.

Computer Science, on the other hand, gives you a decent foundation into some languages, and is certainly more useful than Business.

100% agree with this, Computer science will give you skills that are highly sought after pretty much anywhere you go. If you are interested in working in technology computer science will give you a big advantage over others.

In fact, although it's challenging, I can't stress this enough: I would highly, highly recommend you do this over business studies. I literally dropped business studies soon after I started GCSE's so I could spend more time focusing on computer science and other subjects.
COMPUTER SCIENCE!!!! :woo::woo::woo:
Personally I would opt for Computer Science. I think it will give you a good grounding in a practical skill that has a high demand. Even if you don't directly use these skill and go on to run your own business it's almost certain that it will contain some element of IT and a basic understanding will help you to understand and communicate better with your IT providers.

As with any selection I would also consider the teachers of the subjects, do you have a good relationship with them, do you consider them good, inspiring teachers?
Original post by joe.mcpherson
Personally I would opt for Computer Science. I think it will give you a good grounding in a practical skill that has a high demand. Even if you don't directly use these skill and go on to run your own business it's almost certain that it will contain some element of IT and a basic understanding will help you to understand and communicate better with your IT providers.

As with any selection I would also consider the teachers of the subjects, do you have a good relationship with them, do you consider them good, inspiring teachers?

I have no idea who the computer science teacher will be as the school hired the teacher in janurary and he will be teaching in june i think. I dont know the business teachers.
Are you good at Maths and do you sense the need for efficient, well structured coding? Computing is for you, although I must warn that the programming side is very difficult if you don't practise enough. Computing is right up there as one of the most if not the most underrated subject in terms of difficulty at GCSE. I'd even argue that it can get harder than some a-level subjects in certain areas of the qualification.

Business Studies was enjoyable but it was very very simple and there is a lot of writing involved, but at the end of the day at a-level you will have to answer a lot of essay questions in English-based subjects.

Which one to pick? Computing by far is the best choice, Ive done both subjects and are doing them at a-level and I know for a fact that Computing will get you far in life

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending