The Student Room Group

21 Too Old For University??

Hi

I am going to be 21 a few weeks after university starts and i will be in my first year.

Will this be weird to others and will i struggle to fit in? I am very anxious about this. I really want to make some lifelong friends at university and i dont want my flat mates to see me as an outcast because i am 2-3 years older and whilst i am older i still love partying and behave like a 16 year old most of the time :biggrin:

Will i fit in okay or...

Scroll to see replies

21? Jeez I must be a granny then at nearly 26 lmao. You'll be fine.
Original post by Viivid

Will i fit in okay or...

Damn that "..." sounds really dark like youll get murdered or something for not fitting in at the same age lamo

Just be yourself, smile, have some humour and have a good time, Im sure youll fit in:biggrin:
Reply 3
It's not weird. A lot of people take breaks in their education, retake A levels,do foundation years and change degrees. You are not going to be the oldest, and you will not be the only one who didn't only just turn 18. I mean, if you're too old then what are mature students at 30, 40, 50 years? Honestly, with such a small age difference people probably wont even realise that you're older. In my experience no one ever asks about age at university.
Reply 4
Original post by Alice__90
21? Jeez I must be a granny then at nearly 26 lmao. You'll be fine.

Are you starting in September?

Original post by ForestShadow
Damn that "..." sounds really dark like youll get murdered or something for not fitting in at the same age lamo

Just be yourself, smile, have some humour and have a good time, Im sure youll fit in:biggrin:

hahahahaha at first i was like what is he on about then i read it back and i realised :biggrin: i know im overthinking this im just so anxious -.-

Original post by Nadile
It's not weird. A lot of people take breaks in their education, retake A levels,do foundation years and change degrees. You are not going to be the oldest, and you will not be the only one who didn't only just turn 18. I mean, if you're too old then what are mature students at 30, 40, 50 years? Honestly, with such a small age difference people probably wont even realise that you're older. In my experience no one ever asks about age at university.

Thanks, yeah i think im just thinking this too much and need to relax :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Viivid

I will add actually that on my course there is a student who looks like he is around 30-40 and he gets along with everyone just fine, talks with people and hangs out (people who were 18 etc in the first year). The beauty of being an adult is that the age no longer makes a difference. My parents have friends who are 10 years (or more) younger than them and it doesn't get in the way at all.
Reply 6
Original post by Viivid
Hi

I am going to be 21 a few weeks after university starts and i will be in my first year.

Will this be weird to others and will i struggle to fit in? I am very anxious about this. I really want to make some lifelong friends at university and i dont want my flat mates to see me as an outcast because i am 2-3 years older and whilst i am older i still love partying and behave like a 16 year old most of the time :biggrin:

Will i fit in okay or...

Absolutely fine.
Good luck bro.
No one will care.
Original post by Viivid
Are you starting in September?

hahahahaha at first i was like what is he on about then i read it back and i realised :biggrin: i know im overthinking this im just so anxious -.-

Yeah I'm starting in September. Although I am probably not going to be very involved in the social side anyway because I'm a single parent. :smile:
Original post by Viivid
Hi

This was exactly what I had, I was 21 3 weeks after arriving. It was actually really fun on the social side because everyone celebrated my 21st with me and gave us all an excuse to let our hair down (as if we needed an excuse mind...)

I'm final year now and frequently forget that any of the others are any younger lol! You'll be fine, good luck :u:
Reply 10
I had people on my postgraduate course in their 50's and over. Once everybody embraces mild alcoholism, age very quickly becomes no issue. :colondollar:
There's a lot of things 21 year olds are too old for, university sure as hell isn't one of them
Original post by SophieSmall
No one will care.

This is it. By the time you reach uni there are people of all ages in your year group that no one cares in the slightest. You don't stick out or anything like say, if you had to repeat a year in high school or something.
Original post by Viivid
Hi

Will i fit in okay or...

I'm 21, and I'm certainly not too old for university.

I went to uni at 17, now I'm thinking about doing a second degree.
Original post by XMaramena
I'm 21, and I'm certainly not too old for university.

I went to uni at 17, now I'm thinking about doing a second degree.

How are you thinking of funding it if you don't mind me asking?(I'm assuming you mean a second undergrad?)
Reply 15
Original post by M14B
Absolutely fine.
Good luck bro.

Thanks man
Original post by SophieSmall
How are you thinking of funding it if you don't mind me asking?(I'm assuming you mean a second undergrad?)

I'm lucky enough to have sufficient income to fund a degree, just like I did for my first.
21 is nothing, seriously. You are not too old.
Nobody ever asks your age at university unless you bring it up-at 21 you're still going to look like you just got out of high school. Seriously wouldn't worry about it-I'm pretty much the only one in my friend group who came to uni straight out of high school.
University is very free spirited LOL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending