The Student Room Group

If Teresa's daughter is my daughter's mother, who is Teresa to me?

Scroll to see replies

B???
I really do not like Theresa
Original post by SmashConcept
Right, but because of the nature of multiple choice we know that mother in law is not an option.

Right and as I stated in my first post I think the options are stupid because it doesn't include mother-in-law which is what the majority of people have concluded the relation is. You don't need the list of options to work out what the connection is.
F. My mother in law :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hopefulmedic15
Right and as I stated in my first post I think the options are stupid because it doesn't include mother-in-law which is what the majority of people have concluded the relation is. You don't need the list of options to work out what the connection is.

Well the options think you're stupid FYI.
Original post by SmashConcept
Well the options think you're stupid FYI.

Great comeback m8
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 47
B) my mother. I've written down my working.
1461521790994.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Twinpeaks
But the father could also say Teresa's daughter is my daughters mother? I.e the daughter of Teresa is the mother off my child.

Yes, but out of the options available, Teresa can't be your mother in law, so she must be your mother.
It's D isn't it? If Theresa's daughter is (my daughter's mother AKA me) then Theresa is my mother, assuming I'm female
If Theresa's daughter is (my daughter's mother AKA my wife) then Theresa is my mother-in-law, assuming I'm male
(edited 8 years ago)

No, you don't need it, but when you find out that the answer is either mother or mother in law, and you look at the available options, then it's obviously mother, not mother in law.
Original post by Tasty Apple
Yes, but out of the options available, Teresa can't be your mother in law, so she must be your mother.

Yeah I didn't see your last bit :smile:
No, you don't need it, but when you find out that the answer is either mother or mother in law, and you look at the available options, then it's obviously mother, not mother in law.

I get that, I'm saying I'm breaking out of the mould and putting which answer I think best fits the riddle. I don't need options to tell me, because if you remove the options and the best fitting answer changes to something which wasn't even on the list in the first place then it should still be the overall best fitting answer. It's not my problem that the person who gave the options was too short-sighted to even work out alternative answers to the riddle they made.

That my friend is called thinking laterally.

P.S. Who the heck gives answer options to a riddle in the first place??

P.S. Who the heck gives answer options to a riddle in the first place??

Yeah, I guess that's all true. I don't see why mother in law would be the best fitting answer though. Yes, the speaker says "My daughter's mother" but that could just be because it's a riddle, and that's what riddles are like.
Yeah, I guess that's all true. I don't see why mother in law would be the best fitting answer though. Yes, the speaker says "My daughter's mother" but that could just be because it's a riddle, and that's what riddles are like.

Riddles are written to confuse you but they're also grammatically correct so you choose the precise answer that fits the grammatically correct sentence.
Original post by homeland.lsw
This reminds me of Jeremy Kyle tbh

D. Mother.
Riddles are written to confuse you but they're also grammatically correct so you choose the precise answer that fits the grammatically correct sentence.

Is mother in law the grammatically correct one though?

What we really need, is the thread starter to just tell us the answer :biggrin:
Mother in law. Teresa's daughter is my daughters Mother so I've had a child with Teresa's daughter. Therefore she is my mother in law.
D) Mother

Quick Reply

Latest