The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4100
Asalaam alaikum guys. I really want to know if the hijaab/niqab is compulsory for women in islam. some say that it is while some say that its not. What do u guys have to say.
Reply 4101
Original post by s_ahmed2
Yeah true.

This will vary from person to person, depending on the dynamics of the individuals circumstances. But generally we are told to obey our parents so long as we are not disobeying Allah. Hijab is compulsory in Islam and if someone says they shouldn't wear it then they are going against Allah's command.

Maybe she can get the local imam to speak to them, or just keep trying to convince her parents, in a nice manner without being rude or anything. If the parents still stop her then they will be sinful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that is what I was thinking. She is scared to speak against her parents though and does want to disrespect them.

So is it still her fault and like will she be sinned? And she is deciding to wear it outside without her parents knowing. And then take it back off when she returns.

This is sooo rare, it is actually confusing.
Reply 4102
Original post by h333
I got another issue:
What can one do if their parents who are also muslims not allow them to wear a hijab. Despite showing them hadith and Qu'ran etc.? And they know about this already.

(Not sure if everyone read this so posting again)

Thanks in advance.

You don't have to obey them in this case.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no obedience to any created being if it involves disobedience towards the Creator.”
[Al-Bukhaari, Muslim]
Original post by h333
Yeah that is what I was thinking. She is scared to speak against her parents though and does want to disrespect them.

So is it still her fault and like will she be sinned? And she is deciding to wear it outside without her parents knowing. And then take it back off when she returns.

This is sooo rare, it is actually confusing.

She will need to ask a mufti for that.
Yeah thats good, after all hijab is mainly for outside. May Allah make it easy for her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SIZ99
Asalaam alaikum guys. I really want to know if the hijaab/niqab is compulsory for women in islam. some say that it is while some say that its not. What do u guys have to say.

The evidence that Hijab is compulsary are many. One may refer to the books A Treatise on Hijab by Sheikh Ibn Uthaymeen & The Hijab of the Muslim Woma as in the Quran and Sunnah by Sheikh Al Albaani for full list of the evidences.

Sheikh Ibn Uthaymeen brings 11 evidences in that book.

Some of the evidences scholars give are:

Allah says:

And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests and not expose their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, their brothers' sons, their sisters' sons, their women, that which their right hands possess, or those male attendants having no physical desire, or children who are not yet aware of the private aspects of women. And let them not stamp their feet to make known what they conceal of their adornment. And turn to Allah in repentance, all of you, O believers, that you might succeed.

[Quran 24:31]

Allah also says:

O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.

[Quran 33:59]

Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin:

Asma, daughter of AbuBakr, entered upon the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) wearing thin clothes. The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) turned his attention from her. He said: O Asma', when a woman reaches the age of menstruation, it does not suit her that she displays her parts of body except this and this, and he pointed to his face and hands.

Sunan Abi Dawud 4104

The scholars of Islam are in agreement that Hijab is compulsory. By Hijab it refers to covering the entire body except the face and the hands.

As for Niqab scholars disagree on whether it is compulsory for a women to cover her face or if it is highly recommended with both sides having strong evidences.

Allah Knows Best

[video="youtube;ooZRnaU2HUs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooZRnaU2HUs[/video]
Reply 4107
Thoughts on ex muslims?
Reply 4108
Original post by ThatMuslimGuy
The evidence that Hijab is compulsary are many. One may refer to the books A Treatise on Hijab by Sheikh Ibn Uthaymeen & The Hijab of the Muslim Woma as in the Quran and Sunnah by Sheikh Al Albaani for full list of the evidences.

Allah says:

And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests and not expose their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, their brothers' sons, their sisters' sons, their women, that which their right hands possess, or those male attendants having no physical desire, or children who are not yet aware of the private aspects of women. And let them not stamp their feet to make known what they conceal of their adornment. And turn to Allah in repentance, all of you, O believers, that you might succeed.

Allah also says:

O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.

Asma, daughter of AbuBakr, entered upon the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) wearing thin clothes. The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) turned his attention from her. He said: O Asma', when a woman reaches the age of menstruation, it does not suit her that she displays her parts of body except this and this, and he pointed to his face and hands.

Sunan Abi Dawud 4104

The scholars of Islam are in agreement that Hijab is compulsory. By Hijab it refers to covering the entire body except the face and the hands.

As for Niqab scholars disagree on whether it is compulsory for a women to cover her face or if it is highly recommended with both sides having strong evidences.

Allah Knows Best

[video="youtube;ooZRnaU2HUs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooZRnaU2HUs[/video]

Thanks a lot
Original post by h333
I got another issue:
What can one do if their parents who are also muslims not allow them to wear a hijab. Despite showing them hadith and Qu'ran etc.? And they know about this already.

(Not sure if everyone read this so posting again)

Thanks in advance.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“There is no obedience to any created being if it involves disobedience towards the Creator.”

[Al-Bukhaari, Muslim]

Wearing Hijab outside or in the the present of Non Mahrams is something that is compulsory. So one should not obey ones parents if they do not allow one to wear it. Rather they should obey Allah.

But one shouldnt be harsh or rude with their parents. They should be patient and try to explain what Islam says on the issue and that you want to do this etc

It is similar with non Muslims parents. For example when I used to pray and my dad would enter my room shouting at me, telling me to stop, im crazy etc when im praying - I shouldnt obey him. Rather I should obey Allah as prayer is compulsory.

But I shouldnt get angry or shout or argue as that is a sin. Rather I should be patient, try to explain to them etc

Respond to harshness with kindness is always the answer.

And not equal are the good deed and the bad. Repel [evil] by that [deed] which is better [Quran 41:34]

The Prophet (ﷺ) said :

Kindness is not to be found in anything but that it adds to its beauty and it is not withdrawn from anything but it makes it defective.

Sahih Muslim 2594 a

Hope This helps. :h:
Original post by beelsy
Thoughts on ex muslims?

And say, "The truth is from your Lord, so whoever wills - let him believe; and whoever wills - let him disbelieve."

[Quran 18:29]
Reply 4111

Original post by s_ahmed2
She will need to ask a mufti for that.
Yeah thats good, after all hijab is mainly for outside. May Allah make it easy for her.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by HAnwar
You don't have to obey them in this case.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no obedience to any created being if it involves disobedience towards the Creator.”
[Al-Bukhaari, Muslim]

JazakAllah Khair brothers and sisters for help.

I can't believe someone has to even face a problem like that from a muslim family, it's sad. May Allah guide them and us all.

I think she will not be able to go to anyone for help as she does not like to disrespect and she has never spoken against them so it is hard. Well she did say that when she gets married then they will not be able to do anything really...so she will just have to go with the flow now I guess.
Original post by beelsy
Thoughts on ex muslims?

I have almost no doubt that their numbers will continue to increase.
Reply 4113

Allah says:

Allah also says:

Sunan Abi Dawud 4104

Allah Knows Best

With hijab I thought the hanafi ruling was that the feet can be left uncovered? Or is that only during salah?
Reply 4114
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“There is no obedience to any created being if it involves disobedience towards the Creator.”

[Al-Bukhaari, Muslim]

Wearing Hijab outside or in the the present of Non Mahrams is something that is compulsory. So one should not obey ones parents if they do not allow one to wear it. Rather they should obey Allah.

But one shouldnt be harsh or rude with their parents. They should be patient and try to explain what Islam says on the issue and that you want to do this etc

It is similar with non Muslims parents. For example when I used to pray and my dad would enter my room shouting at me, telling me to stop, im crazy etc when im praying - I shouldnt obey him. Rather I should obey Allah as prayer is compulsory.

But I shouldnt get angry or shout or argue as that is a sin. Rather I should be patient, try to explain to them etc

Respond to harshness with kindness is always the answer.

And not equal are the good deed and the bad. Repel [evil] by that [deed] which is better [Quran 41:34]

The Prophet (ﷺ) said :

Kindness is not to be found in anything but that it adds to its beauty and it is not withdrawn from anything but it makes it defective.

Sahih Muslim 2594 a

Hope This helps. :h:

JazakAllah Khair brother.
Very good response. :smile:
Reply 4115
Original post by beelsy
Thoughts on ex muslims?

May Allah guide them back to the truth. Ameen.
Original post by HAnwar
With hijab I thought the hanafi ruling was that the feet can be left uncovered? Or is that only during salah?

That's just one hadith, for shafiees the feet is included. For hanafis the feet are not part of the awrah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4117
And say, "The truth is from your Lord, so whoever wills - let him believe; and whoever wills - let him disbelieve."

[Quran 18:29]

Fight disbelievers who are near you, and let them see the harshness in you. 123

Those who oppose Islam and disbelieve in the Hereafter are guilty of the greatest wrong. 18-19

Those who hear and reject Allah's revelations are sinful liars. Give them tidings of a painful doom. 7-8

Smite the necks of the disbelievers whenever you fight against them. Those who die fighting for Allah will be rewarded

Don't be friends with those who disbelieve in the Hereafter. They are Allah's enemies

Quran (2:191-193) - "And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [disbelief or unrest] is worse than killing...

Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

should I go on?
Original post by HAnwar

Allah Knows Best I know very little about Hanafi Fiqh. But i think it is so simply from this:

"In the Hanafi school, the face, hands, and feet are not awrah."

http://seekershub.org/ans-blog/2011/07/09/is-it-necessary-for-women-to-wear-the-niqab-in-the-hanafi-school/

From my knowledge though feet should be covered based on the narration:

Narrated Ibn 'Umar:

That the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: "Whoever arrogantly drags his garment, Allah will not look at him on the Day of Judgement." So Umm Salamah said: "What should the women do with their clothes?" He said: "Lower them a handspan." So she said: "Then their feet will be uncovered." He said: "Then lower them a forearm's length and do not add to that."

Jami` at-Tirmidhi 1731. Imam At Tirmidhi said: This Hadeeth is Hasan Saheeh.

However in Salah I don't know.

Allah Knows Best. Ask someone more knowledgeable :smile:
Original post by beelsy
xxx

Lol. Listen to some Quran bro and relax :biggrin: No need to quote random verses out of context. Let me do it:

Allah does not forbid you to deal justly and kindly with those who fought not against you on account of religion and did not drive you out of your homes. Verily, Allah loves those who deal with equity.

[Quran 60:8]

[video="youtube;PWifCv2un1A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWifCv2un1A[/video]

Latest

Trending

Trending