The Student Room Group

Child nursing at Cardiff uni

I have been offered a place at Cardiff uni for Child nursing and i have a few questions if any current nursing students could help me.

1. Is all the course at the Heath park campus? (except placement)
2. How much time do you spend weekly in uni when on theory weeks?
3. Is there and option to do neonatal placements?
4. is there free parking around the Heath park campus?

Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

Thanks
Reply 1
Congratulations! :smile: I'm a 1st year Adult nurse at Cardiff, I don't come on here often sorry. I'll try answering your questions -

1. Yeah - we do some skills (manual handling etc) outside of Heath Park nearer the city centre, its a bus ride (or walk) from Heath though and its not actually far. :smile: (The address is Eastgate House if you want to see)

2. So far, pretty much 4.5 days a week, the first theory block it was very busy but it has been quieter when we've had skills groups where you might have days off etc because your group isn't in.

3. I don't know about that one, Critical care placements are in year 2 + 3. I've looked on the placement profiles on the internal site and there is a Neonatal one updated Jan 2015 so it sounds like it'd be possible! :smile: You might get to do a neonatal as your POLO (elective) placement if you don't get it otherwise? :smile:

4. There are quite a number of roads nearby that you can park on for free, obviously they do fill up but there is also a cheapish car park at the Heath (called Heath Park). Its not a Hospital one. They are all pricey!

Hope that helps. :smile: I'm really enjoying the course so far. If you have any more questions, ask away!
Original post by iamtimmy
Congratulations! :smile: I'm a 1st year Adult nurse at Cardiff, I don't come on here often sorry. I'll try answering your questions -

1. Yeah - we do some skills (manual handling etc) outside of Heath Park nearer the city centre, its a bus ride (or walk) from Heath though and its not actually far. :smile: (The address is Eastgate House if you want to see)

2. So far, pretty much 4.5 days a week, the first theory block it was very busy but it has been quieter when we've had skills groups where you might have days off etc because your group isn't in.

3. I don't know about that one, Critical care placements are in year 2 + 3. I've looked on the placement profiles on the internal site and there is a Neonatal one updated Jan 2015 so it sounds like it'd be possible! :smile: You might get to do a neonatal as your POLO (elective) placement if you don't get it otherwise? :smile:

4. There are quite a number of roads nearby that you can park on for free, obviously they do fill up but there is also a cheapish car park at the Heath (called Heath Park). Its not a Hospital one. They are all pricey!

Hope that helps. :smile: I'm really enjoying the course so far. If you have any more questions, ask away!

Thanks so much for your reply. I was a little worried about getting to Eastgate house, (I know where is it as thats where I had my interview), do you do many days there?. I will be driving into Cardiff as I live outside and am worried about traffic etc. Cardiff was my first choice so I think I will have to take that to be on the course. Its nice to hear you are enjoying it. Im just excited to start now.
Reply 3
No problem, apparently you can park in the Cardiff Royal Infirmary (its sort of opposite) for free(!)

No its not many days, just a few odd days for a couple of weeks. You might have a Personal Tutor who's office is there though, which means you'll probably have to go there to meet them (once or twice a term). Not many PTs are there though so don't worry about that.

I know alot of my cohort who drive, obviously you have to leave enough time but they are forgiving if there's been a big accident or something so alot of people are late.
Original post by iamtimmy
No problem, apparently you can park in the Cardiff Royal Infirmary (its sort of opposite) for free(!)

No its not many days, just a few odd days for a couple of weeks. You might have a Personal Tutor who's office is there though, which means you'll probably have to go there to meet them (once or twice a term). Not many PTs are there though so don't worry about that.

I know alot of my cohort who drive, obviously you have to leave enough time but they are forgiving if there's been a big accident or something so alot of people are late.

Ah okay! this has made me feel a lot better! I was worried I would have to go there all the time. Thanks so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending