The Student Room Group

Graduate employment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by helpmekid
Wow thats really good progression.

Can I ask what was your first role in IT? What was the title and role?

What is your current role?

Thanks

1st job was a Support Engineer. 2nd line support and project rollout type stuff.

Now I'm an IT Consultant.
Original post by Reue
1st job was a Support Engineer. 2nd line support and project rollout type stuff.

Now I'm an IT Consultant.

Wow,

And if you don't mind, can I ask the method/website you used to get that Job

Im doing a Accounting and Finance degree and would if a chance came to move to IT.

But my main fear is - I hate Coding/Programming, Don't know anything about Java/C++ etc.

Do you deal with Codings and stuff like that? How did you learn that since you did a business degree?

Thanks
Reply 22
Original post by helpmekid
Wow,

And if you don't mind, can I ask the method/website you used to get that Job

Im doing a Accounting and Finance degree and would if a chance came to move to IT.

But my main fear is - I hate Coding/Programming, Don't know anything about Java/C++ etc.

Do you deal with Codings and stuff like that? How did you learn that since you did a business degree?

Thanks

Just a normal jobs website. Saw it advertised and applied.

I don't really do any coding. Perhaps just a couple of basic command line scripts every now and then.
Original post by Reue
I did a business degree but got my first job in IT. It was a 9 month graduate role for £15.5k. TBh I was just happy to get any job as it is very hard to get a job in IT without any real world experience. Within a year I was up to 27k, then £33k and now £40k after 5 years.

As others have said already; most places value experience far beyond your degree to the point that its almost not worth even bothering with university for a job in IT.

Area?
Reply 24
Original post by jacktrex
Area?

South East
Reply 25
Original post by iainvg
The whole point of stock is to retain it, it also stands as bad form immediately selling them off, so yes, they are completely meaningless in short term relevance to given salary.

Once you have the stock it is yours, and you can do with it whatever you like. Selling it is not in bad form, and even if it were it is absolutely your prerogative to sell it. Google grants stock and is publicly listed converting the grant to cash is trivial (unlike getting options in a private company as is typical for startup employees).

Original post by iainvg
In the UK, specifically London, the most a recent graduate will ever see from a company like Google is £40k. End of.

Simply false. My Facebook ("a company like Google") offer was for 76k base salary, plus stock + bonus. The company I ended up going with offered slightly less base, but still much closer to 75k than 40k.

$105k base in Mountain View is consistent with the Google new grads I know, and is at the low end of salaries in the bay area. I would expect people who have previously interned there / who negotiate with other offers to be able to get more.
Original post by CS Greg
Once you have the stock it is yours, and you can do with it whatever you like. Selling it is not in bad form, and even if it were it is absolutely your prerogative to sell it. Google grants stock and is publicly listed converting the grant to cash is trivial (unlike getting options in a private company as is typical for startup employees).

Simply false. My Facebook ("a company like Google") offer was for 76k base salary, plus stock + bonus. The company I ended up going with offered slightly less base, but still much closer to 75k than 40k.

$105k base in Mountain View is consistent with the Google new grads I know, and is at the low end of salaries in the bay area. I would expect people who have previously interned there / who negotiate with other offers to be able to get more.

Someone who knows what they're on about ^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Reue
I did a business degree but got my first job in IT. It was a 9 month graduate role for £15.5k. TBh I was just happy to get any job as it is very hard to get a job in IT without any real world experience. Within a year I was up to 27k, then £33k and now £40k after 5 years.

As others have said already; most places value experience far beyond your degree to the point that its almost not worth even bothering with university for a job in IT.

Wow for real?

Asked by someone whos coming towards the end of their first year of Uni doing a bus and it degree, thinking If its really worth it If you're potentially considering an IT related career.

Kind of think maybe an apprenticeship in IT would give be better footing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reue
South East

Just got made redundant and found a new job £6k pay rise after 8 months experience not bad. Was on £24k Northamptonshire, now £30k Nottingham which is an even cheaper area.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by jacktrex
Just got made redundant and found a new job £6k pay rise after 8 months experience not bad.

Congrats
Here's my career progression so far.

First job : £24k Northampton 8 months later being made redundant so found a new job.
Second job - £30k Nottingham.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending