The Student Room Group

LSE versus Georgetown

Hi all,

I have been accepted into Georgetown's University SFS' MA in Security Studies and the LSE's MSc International Relations. But, I'm having a lot of difficulty choosing between the two.

Both are excellent schools and programs, but having to choose between a university with a program that I feel is more well for suited for a career in security over a university that has a well-known brand within the UK is no easy task. I want to live in the UK in the longterm.

LSE has far more credibility academically and I would be able to continue building a network within the UK and internationally. Georgetown is more US focused network-wise and is less known outside the States.

However, I believe that Georgetown's academics offers courses that would allow me to build a solid set of skills and LSE does not provide such a broad education in a specialized area.

There is also the issue of my age. Last month, I turned 30 and would like to get into the workforce asap. LSE's course is only 12 months, while Georgetown's would be 16-18 months.

Finally, Georgetown, as you can imagine, is significantly more expensive than LSE and I doubt that I will stay in the US, after Georgetown, as I lack American citizenship.

What do you think? Do you think I should follow the advice of my friends and former colleagues to study at LSE? Or should I take a gamble and head to Washington?
Original post by jamesafwatson
Hi all,

I have been accepted into Georgetown's University SFS' MA in Security Studies and the LSE's MSc International Relations. But, I'm having a lot of difficulty choosing between the two.

Both are excellent schools and programs, but having to choose between a university with a program that I feel is more well for suited for a career in security over a university that has a well-known brand within the UK is no easy task. I want to live in the UK in the longterm.

LSE has far more credibility academically and I would be able to continue building a network within the UK and internationally. Georgetown is more US focused network-wise and is less known outside the States.

However, I believe that Georgetown's academics offers courses that would allow me to build a solid set of skills and LSE does not provide such a broad education in a specialized area.

There is also the issue of my age. Last month, I turned 30 and would like to get into the workforce asap. LSE's course is only 12 months, while Georgetown's would be 16-18 months.

Finally, Georgetown, as you can imagine, is significantly more expensive than LSE and I doubt that I will stay in the US, after Georgetown, as I lack American citizenship.

What do you think? Do you think I should follow the advice of my friends and former colleagues to study at LSE? Or should I take a gamble and head to Washington?

I don't really know too much about the individual courses as my major is completely different, but I feel I can offer advice based on having had a similar dilemma recently (U.K. vs. U.S.).

I agree with your friends and your 'gut' feeling. Despite the prestige of Georgetown within the international relations/politics/security fields, the LSE is by no means any less prestigious. You've correctly identified the importance of a strong network in your target country. The other advantage of the LSE is that you will have access to a very large international network, with a strong presence in international relations. A few of my colleagues who work in international trade (different to security, I grant but nevertheless a similar 'industry':wink: are LSE alumni and rave on about the various events that they are invited to with people from the field.
Thanks Aceadria. It's a tough decision. My gut says Georgetown, but everything else says LSE.
Thanks Aceadria. It's a tough decision. My gut says Georgetown, but everything else says LSE.

Believe me, I have a similar dilemma. Why not contact a few people on Linkedin who are reading for each course? Getting advice from them might help.
Thanks for the tip! I've already contacted about 10 prospective employers (Chatham, RUSI etc) to see what they thought. Very little response (unsurprisingly).
Georgetown SFS is a solid choice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the tip! I've already contacted about 10 prospective employers (Chatham, RUSI etc) to see what they thought. Very little response (unsurprisingly).

This is an issue with Linkedin. Have you contacted Georgetown to see if they would be willing to connect you with an Alumnus or Alumna?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending