The Student Room Group

SFE Postgraduate Loans - Rules Eligibility

Hi,

I hope someone can help me.

I am a EU student who has a UK degree and who has been living outside the UK (in the EU) for the last 14 years.

I'd like to take a Master's Degree with the new Postgraduate Loans but the eligibiility criteria seem a bit confusing.

Can anyone tell me if you receive a loan for an online Master's Degree or failing that for a taught Master's full-time?.

Does one have to be resident three years before in the UK (even though one has been resident in the EU for three years?),

Is it possible to apply for the Master's Degree whilst resident outside the UK and then turn up to assist the course in the UK?

Sorry but I've been outside the UK for a long time so I don´t really know what to expect. Can someone help?

Thanks guys

David
Original post by davido12
Hi,

I am a EU student who has a UK degree and who has been living outside the UK (in the EU) for the last 14 years.

I'd like to take a Master's Degree with the new Postgraduate Loans but the eligibiility criteria seem a bit confusing.

Can anyone tell me if you receive a loan for an online Master's Degree or failing that for a taught Master's full-time?.

Does one have to be resident three years before in the UK (even though one has been resident in the EU for three years?),

Is it possible to apply for the Master's Degree whilst resident outside the UK and then turn up to assist the course in the UK?

Sorry but I've been outside the UK for a long time so I don´t really know what to expect. Can someone help?

Thanks guys

David

It's not completely clear what the residency requirements are for distance learning courses. Early guidance told us that distance learning students would need to be resident in England for the first year of their course to receive funding (but didn't specify if that would be true for EU students too).

If you study a full time Masters course in England then you will be eligible to take out the loan.
Original post by davido12
Hi,

Thanks guys

David

Hi

You can get a Postgraduate Loan for a taught or research based postgraduate Master’s course, and can study at the university or by distance learning (online).

You have to have been resident in the UK or EU for at least three years before the start of your course, but have to live in England by the start of your course.

As you’re currently living in the EU your course must be at a university in England and you can apply before you move.

Laura

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending