The Student Room Group

Good revision

I think I have been too inefficient with my revision so far - it is taking far too long to revise one topic. What is the best method of revision that doesn't waste time? I have 18 exams to revise and I want A*s and As.
People have different methods on the way they revise. I would recommend you to try flash cards.
Original post by Adilpatel
People have different methods on the way they revise. I would recommend you to try flash cards.

I have already tried flash cards but it takes me about an hour to two to write one topic of science and I have 144 topics to revise for!
Reply 3
Original post by VincentBounty
I have already tried flash cards but it takes me about an hour to two to write one topic of science and I have 144 topics to revise for!

Just go over the topics in a way you prefer. Why does it take you an hour to revise one topic? I use flashcards because I find they are the most effective and quickest way to review topics.

Try watching videos on each topic, this might help you? This might help you absorb the information.

Or summarise and condense your revision notes?
Original post by imHappy
Just go over the topics in a way you prefer. Why does it take you an hour to revise one topic? I use flashcards because I find they are the most effective and quickest way to review topics.

Try watching videos on each topic, this might help you? This might help you absorb the information.

Or summarise and condense your revision notes?

How exactly do you write your flash cards? How long does it take you to do them?
Reply 5
skim through a text book, if you know you understand something, leave it.

Do a couple papers, see where your shortcomings are, hone in on those particular topics, making notes on all the things you did wrong :colone:

then if you still don't get it, ask a teacher to go over the things you don't get / get wrong

I find phoning up a friend and trying to summaries chapters from my notes really helpful for things like History and Biology

For languages, use vocal express or quizlet. There are all kinds of ways to drum vocab into your head. Again, past papers are your friend. Look through essays you've written, read them aloud, get your friends to read them to you. Do grammar exercises, as they can be short and effective.

For English, look over any past things you've done. Search the internet for tips of the particular exam you're doing (there are so many different types foreal) I think there's some good stuff on youtube (and even TSR). Repeat essays you did badly on, and hand them in to a teacher to be marked. Ask to see essays of friends who get good grades, or just model answers type thing. See how you can use the skills you see in your own work. Make essay plans without writing things out completely. Practice doing them quickly.

For Sciences, past papers and text book.

For essay subjects, all I can say is stuff I know from History (that's the only humanity I do). There are plenty of good podcasts on Youtube and just ~on the internet~ . I found making mind maps (really just flow-charts tbh) of the podcasts super helpful, and helped me remember precise detail really well. For dates and stuff, timelines are helpful. Again, planning longer questions can be as effective as trying to write out full essays, especially if getting them marked is difficult.

I also have tips for drama if you like, but I'm just going to take the liberty to assume you don't take it (because most people don't hahah) (and it's quite easy tbh)
Reply 6
Original post by VincentBounty
How exactly do you write your flash cards? How long does it take you to do them?

Well, I started making my flashcards since the beginning of year 11 in September. Now I just keep reviewing them.

I made flashcards for all my subjects except maths.

I did a question on the from and answer on the back and just quiz myself - and memorise answers till i know them all.

It might be too late to make all the flashcards now so I would recommend going on "Get revising" and look up your exam board and subject- there are ready made flashcards! Just print them and test yourself.

Hope I helped, good luck. And keep calm😀

Quick Reply

Latest