The Student Room Group

Austrian Presidential Elections now only between Far-Left and Far-Right

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien
Preliminary results showed that Norbert Hofer, from the anti-immigrant Freedom Party, which is known by its German initials FPÖ, took 36.4% of the vote of the first round.

Alexander Van der Bellen, of the pro-immigrant Greens, secured nearly 20.4% of the vote Mr. Van der Bellen is opposed to all restrictions on asylum seekers.

Mr. Hofer and Mr. Van der Bellen will likely face each other in a runoff vote on May 22. Final results for the first round will be released on Monday. The Austrian president is a largely ceremonial figure, but the election has nevertheless attracted international attention.

Note that, while the far right candidate recieved the most votes, he will likely not win the presidency, as other voters will almost certainly vote for the far left to block him, as in other situations where this has occured.

Van der Bellen, has vowed not to swear in any FPÖ politician as Austria's chancellor if he wins Sunday's vote.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/mainstream-hopefuls-lag-as-austrians-vote-for-new-president-1461495458

Interesting, I wish we would have done the same in the UK, or rather just not between the cons and labour.
This will more than likely become a more common sight in Europe in the coming years.
Reply 3
No contest.
I feel the outcome will be predicatable
Reply 4
Yes, the far left candidate will win

:colone:
Reply 5
Alexander Van der Bellen seems like a good candidate. Intelligent, sensible, polite, civil. I'd probably vote for him. I'm sure the Social Democrats aren't too bad but they're not really in the running.
great, it's only time until the rest of europe self-destruct and waking up to fight this idiotic left hypocrites
So their choice is a party which is quite racist, quite homophobic, and very conservative, but will ultimately stop Austria from being flooded with extremely homophobic, misogynistic, ultra-conservatives.

OR a bunch of pinko delusional idealists who will severly damage the country by allowing in millions of the afore mentioned ultra-conservatives.
Reply 8
Original post by KingKoala
This will more than likely become a more common sight in Europe in the coming years.

Next year, the French presidential elections will be between the Conservatives and the far-right. No left-wing. :biggrin:
FPÖ want referendums on important issues like becoming a minority through mass migration. The Greens want to impose the globalist cultural Marxist agenda and think they know better than common people.
Austrian politics has been a shambles for many years. The mainstream parties have been laden with stories of corruption and money-laundering. It's good to see people waking up to this fact and showing that they want change.
Original post by Josb
Next year, the French presidential elections will be between the Conservatives and the far-right. No left-wing. :biggrin:

The unions must be loving Hollande right now.
Original post by KingBradly
So their choice is a party which is quite racist, quite homophobic, and very conservative, but will ultimately stop Austria from being flooded with extremely homophobic, misogynistic, ultra-conservatives.

OR a bunch of pinko delusional idealists who will severly damage the country by allowing in millions of the afore mentioned ultra-conservatives.

Precisely. I'm no fan of the FPOE, but I really don't see any other party in Austrian politics who is able to deal with the influx of Muslim migrants.
Original post by KingBradly

It is a rock and a hard place

One we will all find ourselves at, at some point in the future
Are the FPOe able to either? If millions arrive this summer, and the FPOE in power, wouldn't they also be rather powerless to stop them? Its not like we will try repel them by any means necessary, that would be politically unacceptable

Keep voting how you are voting, and be crazy to expect different results.

FPÖ say they will use referendums to limit the mass migration. They wouldn't be any more powerless than Hungary, which effectively closed its borders. Austria is building barriers as we speak.
(edited 8 years ago)
Are the FPOe able to either? If millions arrive this summer, and the FPOE in power, wouldn't they also be rather powerless to stop them? Its not like we will try repel them by any means necessary, that would be politically unacceptable

Perhaps they can, perhaps not. The issue is more about sending a clear signal to Merkel and the CDU. The current government is mocked both by German and Austrian media for its inability to stand up to Merkel's demands whereas I see Strache a more formidable opponent.

Regardless of the outcome, the establishment parties in Austria are worried (as they should be).
Barriers won't stop them. They will find ways to break through. It will be near impossible to fully police the entire border.

I imagine only a tiny proportion of people will be willing to pay the expense of mobilising the entire army to police the border. And when they see police and army using force on the migrants, the left wing will riot. In fact, the left wing will probably riot if the FPOE are elected anyway.

The military is already being used in Hungary and other countries and people are passionately FOR it. It is time that they finally did something useful for all the taxpayer money being spent on them.

Barriers alone won't do the job. It will have to be barriers + military/police + tighter laws.

The left wing will riot? Let them riot. Nobody takes the kooks seriously anymore, not after Cologne and the mass migration last year. I'm not giving up my country just because a bunch of campus freaks think it offends them.
Reply 17
If you look at opinion polling on 1v1s in the second round of the presidential election, Mr Holland is the only person Le Pen is leading (rather closely). All others (even ones I haven't heard of before!) have a much larger lead on Le Pen.

Their margin are shrinking. Sarkozy was winning against her by 30 points last year, now it's only by 10 points.
Those who fight for a future Vs Self hating cuckold anti-White piece of **** traitors
Reply 19
Extremely thin lead for the Green candidate:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending