The Student Room Group

Court stops circumcision.

Scroll to see replies

Lol. I'm the only one posting now .... :frown:
Original post by Pythian
A few years ago, the High Court had to meander the "rights" of parental faith and the child’s best interests. The case concerned whether a Jehovah’s Witness boy can receive blood transfusion despite the religious objections of his parents. The court made the correct decision and ruled against the parent's religious views.

I am not aware of any legal cases going to court on circumcision so as to raise the legal issue. But the precedent set by that case should be relevant. They're connected in the parents' denying a life-saving treatment because of religious dogma, and parents insisting on a harmful medical procedure because of religious dogma. In both cases, we'd anticipate the courts telling them that, on these issues, the parents don't know what's best for their children

It reminds me of these horrific stories of children being absolutely beaten & terrified by Voodoo witches in the hope of exorcising the demons out of them. Parents who inflict harm entirely because their religion says so ...

Exactly.
Parents' role is to protect and look after their children, not to have bits of their genitals sliced off for non medical reasons.

It really should be a crime. If a new religion came along and said it was part of their culture to chop off the earlobe of their children we wouldn't accept it, yet for some bizarre reason we accept parents having a bit of their baby's genitalis chopped off.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pythian
Not necessarily.

In jurisprudence, there is a school of thought called positivsm which argues that there should be a separation between law and morality. I am very sympathetic to this. HLA Hart wrote that just because an action was considered in society to be morally wrong; it should not automatically follow that it warrants legal sanction.

There is a separation. Law doesn't determine moral standards or even necessarily reflect them. Sometimes there's an overlap but that's about it.
Reply 563
Original post by cherryred90s
Or perhaps they are not included because their purpose is to increase sexual pleasure
Type 2 specifically includes labiaectomy. Clitoral hoodectomy can increase sexual pleasure, but it is still classed as FGM by the WHO.
Are you seriously trying to defend FGM now? Jeez!

Don't try and be funny when you're the one that said we can't have opinions about things we haven't personally experienced
Of course we can have opinions about things we haven't experienced. However, we can't make objective statements of persinal experience. If you have never had a foreskin, you can never know how sensitive the head of the penis is in comparison, and thus cannot make objective statements about it.

As Patrick Moynihan said "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts".

Taken from the NHS website:
UTIs are a relatively common infection during childhood.They are more common in boys up to the age of six months old, but after this tend to be more common in girls. It is estimated that around 1 in 10 girls and 1 in 30 boys will have had a UTI by the time they turn 1
Fair enough, we have different sources with different figures. But, still not "common", and more of an issue with girls than boys.

And more importantly, does either source recommend circumcision as a means of reducing the risk? No.
So we can reject UTI prevention as a legitimate reason for non-essential circumcision.
Reply 564
Original post by admonit
No, because male circumcision is not mutilation - it was already proved in this thread.
What?!
You showed, with your own argument, that the procedure corresponded with a definition of "mutilation".

The confirmation bias of those who have a doctrinal necessity to justify the unnecessary removal of part of a child's genitals is breathtaking!
Reply 565
Taken from the NHS website:
UTIs are a relatively common infection during childhood.They are more common in boys up to the age of six months old, but after this tend to be more common in girls. It is estimated that around 1 in 10 girls and 1 in 30 boys will have had a UTI by the time they turn 1

You do know circumcision can lead to infections right? Some chap I know ended up with MRSA after his, in his penis!! Can you imagine.:eek:
Original post by QE2
Type 2 specifically includes labiaectomy. Clitoral hoodectomy can increase sexual pleasure, but it is still classed as FGM by the WHO.
Are you seriously trying to defend FGM now? Jeez!

Where does it explicitly include a labiaectomy without chopping off part of the clitoris as well?
I'm not defending FGM, I'm just saying that the procedures you refer to are seen more as cosmetic surgeries.

Of course we can have opinions about things we haven't experienced. However, we can't make objective statements of persinal experience. If you have never had a foreskin, you can never know how sensitive the head of the penis is in comparison, and thus cannot make objective statements about it.

Who made objective statements? I made it very clear that most of what I've said is subjective. You didn't include the word objective in your initial comment, you just said that we can't make judgements about things we haven't personally experienced.

As Patrick Moynihan said "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts".

True.

Fair enough, we have different sources with different figures. But, still not "common", and more of an issue with girls than boys.

It's relatively common and more of an issue in boys under 1.

And more importantly, does either source recommend circumcision as a means of reducing the risk? No.
So we can reject UTI prevention as a legitimate reason for non-essential circumcision.

No we can't. You can reject UTI prevention as a legitimate reason. You can't speak for anyone else. Some people may have a family history of UTIs, and recommendation from a health professional isn't essential, I never actually claimed that a health care professional recommends it. All I said was that UTI prevention is a benefit of circumcision.
Original post by hovado
You do know circumcision can lead to infections right? Some chap I know ended up with MRSA after his, in his penis!! Can you imagine.:eek:

Everything can lead to infections. MRSA as a result of circumcision is so incredibly rare, so if we're gonna bring up the risks no matter how rare,why can't I bring up the benefits no matter how rare?
Reply 568
Where does it explicitly include a labiaectomy without chopping off part of the clitoris as well?
I'm not defending FGM, I'm just saying that the procedures you refer to are seen more as cosmetic surgeries.
So the unnecessary, non-consensual labiaectomy of infants is acceptable as long as the clitoris is not harmed?

Well, you're entitled to your own opinion. But the WHO disagrees.
Type 4 FGM- "all other harmful procedures to the female genitalia for non-medical purposes"
So, do you still maintain that clitoral hoodectomy or labiaectomy of infants, as individual procedures are not FGM?

No we can't. You can reject UTI prevention as a legitimate reason. You can't speak for anyone else. Some people may have a family history of UTIs, and recommendation from a health professional isn't essential, I never actually claimed that a health care professional recommends it. All I said was that UTI prevention is a benefit of circumcision.
It is not my opinion, it is the opinion of several medical reports. The one specifically looking at circumcition and UTIs clearly stated that it was only justified in cases of high risk.

Are you seriously claiming that non-qualified people should be allowed to make surgical diagnoses of infants? Really??
Reply 569
Everything can lead to infections. MRSA as a result of circumcision is so incredibly rare, so if we're gonna bring up the risks no matter how rare,why can't I bring up the benefits no matter how rare?

That's easy.

How likely are infections from circumcision and how harmful are they?
How likely are UTI from not having a circumcision and how harmful are they?

Hint: Infections from surgery are not incredibly rare, far from it and MRSA in the penis is significantly more harmful than a UTI.
Reply 570
Everything can lead to infections.
Which is why unnecessary surgery is to be avoided. Which is why the NHS and Medicaid do not approve the procedure.
In some countries, it is illegal except for medical or religious reasons.
Original post by QE2
Which is why unnecessary surgery is to be avoided. Which is why the NHS and Medicaid do not approve the procedure.

Indeed. If we're going to argue circumcision should be allowed 'because it can lead to an infection' then I guess we can chop off people's ears because they can also lead to infections.
Original post by QE2
What?!
You showed, with your own argument, that the procedure corresponded with a definition of "mutilation".

The confirmation bias of those who have a doctrinal necessity to justify the unnecessary removal of part of a child's genitals is breathtaking!

What?!
Original post by admonit
OED

damage: Physical harm that impairs the value, usefulness, or normal function of something

So, severe damage = "severe physical harm that impairs the value, usefulness, or normal function of something".

Could you provide solid medical proof that male circumcision is "severe physical harm that impairs the value, usefulness, or normal function of something"?

You didn't provide requested proof and therefore lost your argument.
Original post by hovado
That's easy.

How likely are infections from circumcision and how harmful are they?

Don't know exact figures but I know that just like any other surgical procedure, it's a possibility but when conducted in a clean and sterile environment by a professional, it's very unlikely.

How likely are UTI from not having a circumcision and how harmful are they?

Could be dependent on family history, but even without the family history, there's a 1 in 30 chance of a boy under the age of 1 developing a UTI.

Since you can't see a UTI, if left untreated, it can lead to kidney damage/failure.

Other benefits of circumcision include lowered risk of penile cancer aswell.

Hint: Infections from surgery are not incredibly rare, far from it and MRSA in the penis is significantly more harmful than a UTI.

Infection from circumcision is very rare.
Recurrent UTIs are more common than MRSA.

Because circumcision is not performed for its invariably contrived "benefits". It's inflicted onto little children out of a cultural obeisance to the Abrahamic sacrifices of the Old Testament.

The attempt to reposition the debate into the secular; doesn't conceal the primitive & savage origins of the act you're struggling to defend.
Reply 575
Interesting.
I appears that circumcised men don't sexually satisfy women as well as men with a foreskin.
http://www.circumcision.org/femalesex.htm

Turns out that the HIV protection argument may be flawed as well.
http://www.circumcision.org/hiv.htm
Original post by hovado

So the way to defeat MRSA is to cease all circumcision operations?

Perhaps the foreskin gives patients super antibiotic powers which stave of any and all infections? Has that been looked into yet? Can we get someone to look into this fascinating discovery?
Original post by QE2

Which is why YOU believe that the surgery is unnecessary and which is why YOU believe that it should be avoided. Stop forcing your opinions onto other people.
Original post by QE2
Interesting.
I appears that circumcised men don't sexually satisfy women as well as men with a foreskin.
http://www.circumcision.org/femalesex.htm

Turns out that the HIV protection argument may be flawed as well.
http://www.circumcision.org/hiv.htm

You're back with this nonsense. I have said several times that this whole notion of sensitivity and sexual pleasure is so flawed. How can you objectively deduce that the male being circumcised is the reason for the lack of pleasure that women feel? This study you linked was of 138 participants, how can that seriously be relied upon? How do you know that the woman just doesn't orgasm from vaginal sex? A lot of women don't. You can just make a correlation like that when there are other extraneous variables that are not considered.

I could easily come back at you with another study that conclues the opposite, but if I did that, this would be never ending
Other benefits of circumcision include lowered risk of penile cancer aswell.

Women who carry the BRCA1/BRCA2 gene are more susceptible to developing breast cancer.

Using your disturbed demented logic, we should start testing all young girls for this gene. Thereafter, swiftly amputating their breast tissues because it reduces breast cancer.

(And, of course, you should scarcely concern ourselves with their consent).

P.S. Before you respond to me, please take a moment to think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending