The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Clifton or City Centre?

Hey, I can't decide whether to stay at Clifton ( because it is where my lectures will be based at) or at the city centre ( because the rent would be cheaper, and I'm a city person) .
If I would choose to live in the city centre as a first year student, would it be hard to travel every day? Would it cost much more, because of the travelling costs, even though the rent would be quite cheaper?
Or is it better to stay at clifton because It would be more convenient to study close?
Original post by Domciuz
Hey, I can't decide whether to stay at Clifton ( because it is where my lectures will be based at) or at the city centre ( because the rent would be cheaper, and I'm a city person) .
If I would choose to live in the city centre as a first year student, would it be hard to travel every day? Would it cost much more, because of the travelling costs, even though the rent would be quite cheaper?
Or is it better to stay at clifton because It would be more convenient to study close?

Hi Domiciuz,

It's really down to personal preference! The transport links from the city centre of Notts to Clifton campus are really good with the number 4 bus running every 15 minutes (or 7 minutes during peak lecture times). So it won't be hard to get to and from Nottingham.

However it all depends if you mind the journey! Students who live/study on Clifton campus will be able to wake up considerably later than people who live in the city commute to Clifton campus.

For example, if you have a 9 am you will have to get up considerably earlier than those who live on campus. The buses/traffic are usually really busy around 9 am as well, so you may have to get their a bit earlier than half 8 to ensure you get to campus on time. While the students who live on Clifton campus will have to leave their flat 5/10 minutes to ensure they make it on time.

You can activate your student ID to become a bus pass (which I think will be worth buying if you are planning to travel a lot, even if you did decide to live on Clifton campus). The price of this varies, but in previous years they often offer a discounted bus pass to students around Freshers week. So I would look this year, to see if they do the same. I'll leave a link to more info below:

Student Travel Pass

I hope this has helped, and if you need anything clarified just let me know!

Thanks,

Ellen
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
Hi Domiciuz,

It's really down to personal preference! The transport links from the city centre of Notts to Clifton campus are really good with the number 4 bus running every 15 minutes (or 7 minutes during peak lecture times). So it won't be hard to get to and from Nottingham.

However it all depends if you mind the journey! Students who live/study on Clifton campus will be able to wake up considerably later than people who live in the city commute to Clifton campus.

For example, if you have a 9 am you will have to get up considerably earlier than those who live on campus. The buses/traffic are usually really busy around 9 am as well, so you may have to get their a bit earlier than half 8 to ensure you get to campus on time. While the students who live on Clifton campus will have to leave their flat 5/10 minutes to ensure they make it on time.

You can activate your student ID to become a bus pass (which I think will be worth buying if you are planning to travel a lot, even if you did decide to live on Clifton campus). The price of this varies, but in previous years they often offer a discounted bus pass to students around Freshers week. So I would look this year, to see if they do the same. I'll leave a link to more info below:

Student Travel Pass

I hope this has helped, and if you need anything clarified just let me know!

Thanks,

Ellen

Thanks, for that, but would it be hard for me as I would be a first year student in a total new city, or is it easy to get used to it?
Original post by Domciuz
Thanks, for that, but would it be hard for me as I would be a first year student in a total new city, or is it easy to get used to it?

Hi Domciuz,

It's easy to get used to it, but a lot of students live on Clifton campus first year and then move into the city second year for that reason above.

The number 4 bus literally drops you inside the campus, but it's getting to know where to catch it/where it drops you off from the city. However, It's always like this when in a new city, you have to learn where everything is. Also once you've done it once, then you will know where to get the bus and where it drops you off.

I hope this has helped and if you have any more questions, please let me know!

Thanks,

Ellen
Reply 4
Original post by Domciuz

It's not hard but I lived on clifton campus first year then moved into city after that which is what most do. The bus is easy enough to get and takes about 25 mins. Most people will live on campus first year so you will find it easier to spend more time with your course mates as they will likely be living in clifton.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending