The Student Room Group

Should I take STEP 1 in summer {please advise}

I am doing 4 A2. maths further chemistry and physics

I would have chemistry 4 clashing the same day.

I do not feel sufficiently prepared for STEP, nor believe I could get more than a 1 at this stage. I can usually answer about 2 full solutions on the Pure section but I don't get any of the mechanics.

I do not want to bugger up my other exams either and it seems little potential reward for a lot of work and the risk seems too high. I would also have the exam in the morning and for me it would be 3hr 45 min exam.

I still need to do a lot of work on M2 FP2 S3 etc.

I have not yet applied to any universities - and will probably look at what to do on results day.

I personally anticipate that if I were to do step then the time etc. would probably leave me with a B in Physics/Chem so I would rather have a better chance of getting the A* grades without the added workload/stress of STEP.

If anyone could advise me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Original post by texasinstruments

I do not feel sufficiently prepared for STEP, nor believe I could get more than a 1 at this stage. I can usually answer about 2 full solutions on the Pure section but I don't get any of the mechanics.

I do not want to bugger up my other exams either and it seems little potential reward for a lot of work and the risk seems too high. I would also have the exam in the morning and for me it would be 3hr 45 min exam.

I have not yet applied to any universities - and will probably look at what to do on results day.

I personally anticipate that if I were to do step then the time etc. would probably leave me with a B in Physics/Chem so I would rather have a better chance of getting the A* grades without the added workload/stress of STEP.

Thank you

What subject are you applying for? Unless it's for a course that actually asks for STEP, I really don't think it's worth it. Your A Level grades will be more important - if you think taking STEP "for fun" is going to make your A2 grades slip from an A*, I strongly recommend that you do not take STEP.

Even if you are going to apply for a course that asks for STEP, surely it'd be better to do it that year when you have more time to adequately prepare rather than risking poor grades in your A Levels and STEP?
Original post by Plagioclase
What subject are you applying for? Unless it's for a course that actually asks for STEP, I really don't think it's worth it. Your A Level grades will be more important - if you think taking STEP "for fun" is going to make your A2 grades slip from an A*, I strongly recommend that you do not take STEP.

Even if you are going to apply for a course that asks for STEP, surely it'd be better to do it that year when you have more time to adequately prepare rather than risking poor grades in your A Levels and STEP?

Thank you this is very good adivce.

I would like to do engineering/electrical engineering. I am in my a2 year, and have not applied - I would make an account for ucas in clearing I anticipate. I would be looking at the higher universities in clearing. I feel I should get > A*AA at this stage (without being big headed and all that) my personal targets are A*'s though :smile:

And I really doubt with all the pressure/additional work that I could muster getting an S/1 with A*s in the other subject.s

I dont fully understand your second paragraph - sorry.

After hearing what you said I am fairly sure I will avoid doing it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you this is very good adivce.

I would like to do engineering/electrical engineering. I am in my a2 year, and have not applied - I would make an account for ucas in clearing I anticipate. I would be looking at the higher universities in clearing. I feel I should get > A*AA at this stage (without being big headed and all that) my targets are A*'s though :smile:

I dont fully understand your second paragraph - sorry.

After hearing what you said I am fairly sure I will avoid doing it.

I understand the temptation to take STEP but given this information, I definitely advise against taking it. I was in a sort of similar situation in that I was thinking of taking the AEA (not as hard as STEP, I know) "for fun", went ahead with it and very much regretted it when it came round to my actual exams! Concentrate on the A2s :smile:
Original post by Plagioclase
I understand the temptation to take STEP but given this information, I definitely advise against taking it. I was in a sort of similar situation in that I was thinking of taking the AEA (not as hard as STEP, I know) "for fun", went ahead with it and very much regretted it when it came round to my actual exams! Concentrate on the A2s :smile:

Thank you for the advice. I will let my centre know. This has reassured me somewhat. Thank you so much for getting back in touch with me so quickly/.
Reply 5

Thank you

Are you applying for entry in 2017? Most top universities for engineering will not be in 2016 Clearing (Oxbridge, Imperial, etc)

And there is NO point trying to do STEP now unless it's a specific condition of a current offer. It takes way too much prep time and could adversely affect your other exams if you start now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Are you applying for entry in 2017? Most top universities for engineering will not be in 2016 Clearing (Oxbridge, Imperial, etc)

And there is NO point trying to do STEP now unless it's a specific condition of a current offer. It takes way too much prep time and could adversely affect your other exams if you start now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the advice, I definitely will not do it.

Sorry but could I ask what are the best universities availiable in clearing for engineering type courses would you know? Like you said I figured those universities would not be in. Does imperail even do adjustment?

Thanks for your help;.
Reply 7
Thank you for the advice, I definitely will not do it.

Sorry but could I ask what are the best universities availiable in clearing for engineering type courses would you know? Like you said I figured those universities would not be in. Does imperail even do adjustment?

Thanks for your help;.

Clearing varies every year. Imperial and Oxbridge never participate (and don't do Adjustment either).

Honestly I'd suggest you should take a gap year and apply for 2017. Clearing is a mad panic and can cause logistical problems (such as finalising accommodation, etc).

If you expect A*AA or better then apply properly in 2017. Take the opportunity to do a YINI.
Original post by jneill
Clearing varies every year. Imperial and Oxbridge never participate (and don't do Adjustment either).

Honestly I'd suggest you should take a gap year and apply for 2017. Clearing is a mad panic and can cause logistical problems (such as finalising accommodation, etc).

If you expect A*AA or better then apply properly in 2017. Take the opportunity to do a YINI.

Thank you for the advice and the information.

Quick Reply

Latest