The Student Room Group

Ideal first cars show off or not

Okay so I passed my test about a week ago and I'm buying a car in a couple of days can anyone tell me if the Mercedes Benz a200d or Audi A3 are ideal as they have both been mentioned in the which magazine as good cars for first time drivers ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PRICEALYASEEN
Okay so I passed my test about a week ago and I'm buying a car in a couple of days can anyone tell me if the Mercedes Benz a200d or Audi A3 are ideal as they have both been mentioned in the which magazine as good cars for first time drivers ?

In terms of which car looks the best, I'd go for the Mercedes.
Reply 2

Have you checked the insurance premiums?
Yes the Mercedes is £4357 and the Audi is £4768 per year
Reply 4

Ah nice, a bargain...

Only?
the merc son
Original post by jneill
Ah nice, a bargain...

:laugh:
Original post by jneill
Ah nice, a bargain...

Back at it again with the pars, god I love you.
x

Hiya,

Just moved this over to a more appropriate section.

Cheers!
Reply 10

Yeah so £363+/mo insurance per month plus at least £250-£400/mo for the car however you finance it. +£24+/mo service plan and fuel costs. You'd be looking at at-least £750/mo? Not sure about your background but even for mid career professionals this is excessive. To get a scope for how much unnecessary money you're paying - It'd cost me less than this to contract hire and insure a C63.

Build up some experience and come back in 3-5 years, it would be affordable then.

Depends where you live if these cars are show-offy. Here in London, a A200 or A3 is below average, it's like driving a Golf - you won't get a single head-turn. Average is probably a C220/E220 or BMW 320.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11

You've already got the Merc...
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=64381945&postcount=49
Reply 12

You forgot to factor in student incoherency
yes I already have a Mercedes which is my brother car but I want to buy my own
Reply 14
Is spending £700/mo on a car, affordable for you?
Original post by NX172
Is spending £700/mo on a car, affordable for you?

Well I'm buying it for £18.000 and it is quite economical so I would say yes
Reply 16
Well I'm buying it for £18.000 and it is quite economical so I would say yes

You could go for a smaller engine to get that insurance cost down. The exterior would look the same if you just want it to show off.
Original post by NX172
You could go for a smaller engine to get that insurance cost down. The exterior would look the same if you just want it to show off.

Yeah I might just do that , thanks anyway mate
Reply 18
Prince Al Yaseen from trollstation?
Original post by NX172
Yeah so £363+/mo insurance per month plus at least £250-£400/mo for the car however you finance it. +£24+/mo service plan and fuel costs. You'd be looking at at-least £750/mo? Not sure about your background but even for mid career professionals this is excessive. To get a scope for how much unnecessary money you're paying - It'd cost me less than this to contract hire and insure a C63.

Build up some experience and come back in 3-5 years, it would be affordable then.

Depends where you live if these cars are show-offy. Here in London, a A200 or A3 is below average, it's like driving a Golf - you won't get a single head-turn. Average is probably a C220/E220 or BMW 320.

my area it's worse than that these day's one of my friends she didn't like her 2 year old porshe as it was 'too common' now she has a fully kitted '65 plate s-class mercedes for her 19th birthday and is getting a ferrari 458 for her 21st

Quick Reply

Latest