The Student Room Group

2016 Loan Scheme - Available for conversion (masters) courses?

For the 2016 Postgrad Loans Scheme coming in this year, can students apply for this for conversion courses? The one I'm thinking of is an MSc, which technically makes it a "Masters"...
I've been researching the PGL and it does say MSc's are eligible. Applications open end of June so not long before we should hopefully know more.
If it is a masters (which an MSc is) then you should be able to get the loan. Whether or not you are converting to another subject from undergraduate isn't relevant.
Yes if it gives you the designation, then it qualifies.
Reply 4
Original post by phantompain
For the 2016 Postgrad Loans Scheme coming in this year, can students apply for this for conversion courses? The one I'm thinking of is an MSc, which technically makes it a "Masters"...

Hi

ThePostgraduate Loan is only for full master’s courses. Unfortunately you won’t beable to get a Postgraduate Loan for a conversion course. If you have questions about whether or not a specific course is eligible the university will be able to help you.

Ray
Reply 5
Original post by Ray SFE
Hi

ThePostgraduate Loan is only for full master’s courses. Unfortunately you won’t beable to get a Postgraduate Loan for a conversion course. If you have questions about whether or not a specific course is eligible the university will be able to help you.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Thanks for giving your input.

I have contacted the individual universities that all offer a Psychology conversion MSc, and they all have said that as the conversion course is an MSc, that funding will be available. The final qualification the student will receive after completing the conversion is at Masters level. But this seems to conflict with your statement?

Are you saying that these universities are in fact erroneous in their comments?
Original post by phantompain
Hi Ray,

Thanks for giving your input.

I have contacted the individual universities that all offer a Psychology conversion MSc, and they all have said that as the conversion course is an MSc, that funding will be available. The final qualification the student will receive after completing the conversion is at Masters level. But this seems to conflict with your statement?

Are you saying that these universities are in fact erroneous in their comments?

Hi

The Postgraduate Loan is only for full, stand alone Master's courses, this means that if you're topping up a previous qualification to an MSc you won't be able to get a Postgraduate Loan for the course.

If the conversion course was a full Master's course in it's own right, then you would be eligible for a Postgraduate Loan.

Laura
Reply 7
Original post by Laura SFE
Hi

The Postgraduate Loan is only for full, stand alone Master's courses, this means that if you're topping up a previous qualification to an MSc you won't be able to get a Postgraduate Loan for the course.

If the conversion course was a full Master's course in it's own right, then you would be eligible for a Postgraduate Loan.

Laura

Hi Laura,

Seems you cleared things up a bit.

It is indeed a full masters course. http://www.chester.ac.uk/postgraduate/psychology-conversion

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending