The Student Room Group

Plaguerism

Hello.

Me and My friend have recently plagiarised. We both copied a paragraph from each other. Our courseworks have now been sent off. I was wondering what is the chance of me getting caught and how much trouble i will be in.

NOTE: I did add another line in the beginning of the paragraph idk if it helps.

Ty for reading and helping - THIS IS FOR ENGLISH BTW YEAR11
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Spray
Hello.

Me and My friend have recently plagiarised. We both copied a paragraph from each other. Our courseworks have now been sent off. I was wondering what is the chance of me getting caught and how much trouble i will be in.

Ty for reading and helping

They have scanners so they scan your work and they have a system that can detect plagiarism. If it's a certain percentage you tend to get disqualified and score 0 marks on that piece of work in addition to possibly scoring none on the similar assignments. It's your GCSE so it has to be your work not somebody elses work.
Reply 2
Original post by GCSE_
They have scanners so they scan your work and they have a system that can detect plagiarism. If it's a certain percentage you tend to get disqualified and score 0 marks on that piece of work in addition to possibly scoring none on the similar assignments.

But what if my sample isnt in the 6-30 samples?
Reply 3
Original post by Spray
Hello.

Ty for reading and helping

Why would you even think of copying your friends work!
You could have at least changed the words around!!!! :lol:

In all seriousness they probably will catch you out..
Reply 4
Original post by slc98
Why would you even think of copying your friends work!
You could have at least changed the words around!!!! :lol:

In all seriousness they probably will catch you out..

Thanks for the reply... I hope im not in the 6-30 samples getting sent to examiners
Reply 5
Original post by Spray
Thanks for the reply... I hope im not in the 6-30 samples getting sent to examiners

They probably will still catch you out even if they didn't send yours off to be sampled! It honestly depends how much of your work is similar word for word, as they are able to check similarity in other people's work that has been submitted.
Reply 6
Original post by Spray
But what if my sample isnt in the 6-30 samples?

Then it's your lucky day?! Lol
Reply 7
Original post by slc98
They probably will still catch you out even if they didn't send yours off to be sampled! It honestly depends how much of your work is similar word for word, as they are able to check similarity in other people's work that has been submitted.

How will they ever find out if my sample isnt sent? My teacher has already marked it if its not sent to the moderator
:mob: They're gonna mow the plagiarisers down like a sack o' potatoes.

Spoiler

Reply 9
Original post by Spray
How will they ever find out if my sample isnt sent? My teacher has already marked it if its not sent to the moderator

In that case I guess you'll have to wait with your fingers crossed and hope your teacher hasn't spotted any similarities then lol. But if your teacher is on the ball she/he may have figured it out..

So the teacher marks it by hand or electronically?
Reply 10
Original post by 1+1=Window
:mob: They're gonna mow the plagiarisers down like a sack o' potatoes.

Spoiler

This kinda made it better. Im basically freaking out right now its a small paragraph and I just hope my friend or mine wont get sent to the moderators :/
Reply 11
Original post by slc98
In that case I guess you'll have to wait with your fingers crossed and hope your teacher hasn't spotted any similarities then lol. But if your teacher is on the ball she/he may have figured it out..

So the teacher marks it by hand or electronically?

Oh noo lol. Me and my friend aren't in the same class. We have 3 different teachers marking 3 different classes.
Original post by Spray
This kinda made it better. Im basically freaking out right now its a small paragraph and I just hope my friend or mine wont get sent to the moderators :/

Stop fretting about all that malarkey and move onto yer other stuff. It's done and can't be altered. Just hope that it all goes alright (which I'm sure it will).

Just relax...:headbang:
Reply 13
Original post by Spray
Oh noo lol. Me and my friend aren't in the same class. We have 3 different teachers marking 3 different classes.

Hmm there may be a possibility that they will compare them collectively? I'm sure they would compare it to other students work even if you aren't in the same class, just in case
Reply 14
Original post by 1+1=Window
Stop fretting about all that malarkey and move onto yer other stuff. It's done and can't be altered. Just hope that it all goes alright (which I'm sure it will).

Just relax...:headbang:

Thank you for this man. You dont understand how much better I feel. Im praying that mine doesnt get sent or my friends one. :P
Reply 15
Original post by slc98
Hmm there may be a possibility that they will compare them collectively? I'm sure they would compare it to other students work even if you aren't in the same class, just in case

Idk how that will work out because we already have got our marks. If the moderators say our teachers marking is fine then we will stay with the results we have now.
Reply 16
Original post by Spray
Idk how that will work out because we already have got our marks. If the moderators say our teachers marking is fine then we will stay with the results we have now.

Hey!! Then you're fine!!!! Unless they choose both yours and your friends work to be sampled that is??! I've honestly forgotten how they examine Y11 English coursework, even though I'm only in Y13 now :rofl:

But yeah just hope they don't spot anything - you never know, something might come up.
Reply 17
Original post by slc98
Hey!! Then you're fine!!!! Unless they choose both yours and your friends work to be sampled that is??! I've honestly forgotten how they examine Y11 English coursework, even though I'm only in Y13 now :rofl:

But yeah just hope they don't spot anything - you never know, something might come up.

Thank you so much for your input. Have a great day!

Quick Reply

Latest