The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

So the exam board arent stressibg on word counr for this exam yay but points need to be developed so not under word
Original post by ellamoon_22
So the exam board arent stressibg on word counr for this exam yay but points need to be developed so not under word

Our teacher says to ignore the word count and just write as much detail as possible to cover all the points
Original post by emmz233
Our teacher says to ignore the word count and just write as much detail as possible to cover all the points

Im so happy about this change because the world limit restricts me alot
Reply 143
Hey there, i really need help with q1 ASAP please, any tips on how to answer that section would be really amazing, Thanks.
Original post by caitlinford3
My coursework mark is really high so I have no stress whatsoever for the exam, I've barely even counted it as 'start of GCSE's' I just keep thinking to myself that they start on 17th because the English one I'd be happy to do tomorrow, just doing some past papers & working on Q3 really :smile:

I covet your confidence :s-smilie:

I don't know why but I'm hella stressed even though I've got full marks on all the Language Coursework. (Before people think that's crazy massive achievement my school don't do coursework for any other subject other than English...)

From what I gather I'll have to get 80% or so on the coming paper to secure an A*... I'm not sure because my teacher hasn't been totally clear, but it's still stressing me out hahaha
Original post by Mo De
Hey there, i really need help with q1 ASAP please, any tips on how to answer that section would be really amazing, Thanks.

This is what I do

10 minutes to read the passage twice (2nd time reading it im highlighting points)

5 /10 minutes to write 5 points in note form for each bullet point (plan)

40 minutes writing

When writing get stright to the point u have ur bullet points(notes) for reference. Also whilst ur reading the passage the first rkme be changing things to ur own words.

Lastly dont make nothing up when being creativw just develop points tht make sense and write equal paragraphs. This year word count is not a big deal so yayy
Reply 146
I really really struggle with question 3a as I never get close to 15/15 bullet points correct! I don't know why, I just can't seem to choose the right quotes. Any helpful ideas???
Original post by EML26
I really really struggle with question 3a as I never get close to 15/15 bullet points correct! I don't know why, I just can't seem to choose the right quotes. Any helpful ideas???

I always read through the passage underlining/highlighting the points as I go, if that helps
How can I revise since doing past papers is really boring
Original post by Year11Struggles
Isn't the exam on May 5th not May 3rd? Not sure to be honest.
I think I got an A* for the 60% coursework and I'm aiming for an A* for the actual thing
My strengths are question 2 and the second part of question 3
Any tips for Question 1 and the 15 bullet point bit of question 3?

sorry it's may 3rd :frown: q 3 is easy, just look at mark schemes to see what they want but basically just pick out 15 obvious points and write them in a list. If you can do part 2 I actually don't see how you can't do part one- they're the same points just in a list not a paragraph! It's basically a plan of part 2...Q1, if not do past papers, at least look at the mark scheme, it honestly really helps But in the exam, take a highlighter and highlight the three different points in three different colours as you go through the text, MAKE SURE YOU COVER ALL 3 POINTS EQUALLY, and good luck!
Original post by cazzers123
sorry it's may 3rd :frown: q 3 is easy, just look at mark schemes to see what they want but basically just pick out 15 obvious points and write them in a list. If you can do part 2 I actually don't see how you can't do part one- they're the same points just in a list not a paragraph! It's basically a plan of part 2...Q1, if not do past papers, at least look at the mark scheme, it honestly really helps But in the exam, take a highlighter and highlight the three different points in three different colours as you go through the text, MAKE SURE YOU COVER ALL 3 POINTS EQUALLY, and good luck!

How to approach Question2 ?
Original post by Milzime
I covet your confidence :s-smilie:

I don't know why but I'm hella stressed even though I've got full marks on all the Language Coursework. (Before people think that's crazy massive achievement my school don't do coursework for any other subject other than English...)

From what I gather I'll have to get 80% or so on the coming paper to secure an A*... I'm not sure because my teacher hasn't been totally clear, but it's still stressing me out hahaha

Don't stress!

Full marks on your coursework is amazing, that's 80 marks down! The whole iGCSE is out of 130 raw marks - and in the past the grade boundaries have been 104,106 etc for an A*. So you need to get around 25 marks in the exam to secure that A* (which considering 25 marks is only 50% of the paper - and you're intelligent enough to get full marks in coursework, of course you can do it!)

Good luck :smile:
Don't stress!

Full marks on your coursework is amazing, that's 80 marks down! The whole iGCSE is out of 130 raw marks - and in the past the grade boundaries have been 104,106 etc for an A*. So you need to get around 25 marks in the exam to secure that A* (which considering 25 marks is only 50% of the paper - and you're intelligent enough to get full marks in coursework, of course you can do it!)

you have put me at ease :')

good luck to you :hugs: n see you on the other side :cry2: :five:
I'm sitting the exam! For me, my week point is probably question 2 as in every mock I've done, I've got 7/10 for it. I'm alright at question 1 I guess, in my last mock I got 12/15 + 4/5. In question 3, I never get full marks for part a) :biggrin: In my last mock I got 12/15, and 4/5 for part B. This gave me grand total of 39/50, which totalled up to an A* including my coursework (that's what you call scrape). 39 is the magic number for me, as this is what I personally require for an A* based on my coursework marks. Any tips on how I can improve with just over 7 days remaining?
I feel like this paper is really easy to get a high gradr but it seems like im always getting an A how do u actually get an A*.
Firstly question 1 is my strong point but I guess my last paragraph is always to short so I need to practice that. Question 2 is really good also. But question 3 I dont always get the right bullet points which is weird highest mark for tht Ive gotten is 13

rip because guessing all the lil points the mark scheme has specifically stipulated is hard af :rofl2:

*whistles Hunger Games four tone tune*

see y'all on the other side

:rip:
Don't stress!

Im sorry to say but what you said is completely wrong. They take the coursework mark which is out of 50 and then add that to your speaking and listening mark.
The whole thing is out of 125. They convert the speaking and listening marks to 25 instead of 30 so 25 + 50 + 50 = 125.
The person got full marks in coursework (which is amazing) so I am assuming they got 50/50 for one of their coursework. Now this 50 is going to be added to their speaking and listening mark. So say if they got 30/30 in the speaking and listening, this will be converted into 25/25 so altogether so far they would have 75/125 (without exam mark) this means they need around 30/50 to secure an A* overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ibte10
Hello guys!

Hi! I moved this thread into the correct forum for you :h: I also stuck in in the GCSE Exam Directory Thread, which you can find here :parrot:
Guys anyone tried paper 22 0500 igcse may 2015?

Tell me how much u get?
Reply 158
This is what I do

10 minutes to read the passage twice (2nd time reading it im highlighting points)

5 /10 minutes to write 5 points in note form for each bullet point (plan)

40 minutes writing

When writing get stright to the point u have ur bullet points(notes) for reference. Also whilst ur reading the passage the first rkme be changing things to ur own words.

Lastly dont make nothing up when being creativw just develop points tht make sense and write equal paragraphs. This year word count is not a big deal so yayy

Thank you soon much really helpful. :smile:
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Im sorry to say but what you said is completely wrong. They take the coursework mark which is out of 50 and then add that to your speaking and listening mark.
The whole thing is out of 125. They convert the speaking and listening marks to 25 instead of 30 so 25 + 50 + 50 = 125.
The person got full marks in coursework (which is amazing) so I am assuming they got 50/50 for one of their coursework. Now this 50 is going to be added to their speaking and listening mark. So say if they got 30/30 in the speaking and listening, this will be converted into 25/25 so altogether so far they would have 75/125 (without exam mark) this means they need around 30/50 to secure an A* overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So I was 5 marks behind, don't shoot me :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending