The Student Room Group

Car accident fml

Long story short : I backed into someone due to a ****ing motorcyclist speeding round in front of me on a roundabout. Must have reversed into the chap at about 5 at most 10mph. Been in contact with him and he says that his bumper has some damage underneath, the top grill is being replaced and washer bottle is being fixed. Any ideas how much this will cost roughly? Any constructive advice on this matter will be much appreciated
Original post by TheFarmerLad
Long story short : I backed into someone due to a ****ing motorcyclist speeding round in front of me on a roundabout. Must have reversed into the chap at about 5 at most 10mph. Been in contact with him and he says that his bumper has some damage underneath, the top grill is being replaced and washer bottle is being fixed. Any ideas how much this will cost roughly? Any constructive advice on this matter will be much appreciated

Depends on the car but in a situation like this a lot of people will try to take advantage.
Original post by ODES_PDES
Depends on the car but in a situation like this a lot of people will try to take advantage.

I realise that but he seemed to be a decent individual. He said he'd forward the report to me so I could see what was actually being repaired. But to fix the bumper alone, are we talking 500 odd pounds?
I realise that but he seemed to be a decent individual. He said he'd forward the report to me so I could see what was actually being repaired. But to fix the bumper alone, are we talking 500 odd pounds?

What car did he drive?
What car did he drive?

Honda
Honda

£500 sounds like a lot to me.
£500 sounds like a lot to me.

I hope you are right
Depends on the car and the damage, the front end of a cars chassis is made weaker in certain areas so they "crumple" on impact to absorb shock. If the chassis was damaged in the impact it can significantly increase the cost of repair. It sounds like the radiator wasn't damaged but that could potentially be an added cost. As for the cost of the cosmetic repairs to the front of the car, well depends on the how many body panels were damaged and how much each of the panels cost.

Hopefully this helps, sorry to hear you where involved in an accident also. A few of my friends have been forced to fit a bill for an accident they didn't cause also, :frown:
Original post by Jonsmith98
Depends on the car and the damage, the front end of a cars chassis is made weaker in certain areas so they "crumple" on impact to absorb shock. If the chassis was damaged in the impact it can significantly increase the cost of repair. It sounds like the radiator wasn't damaged but that could potentially be an added cost. As for the cost of the cosmetic repairs to the front of the car, well depends on the how many body panels were damaged and how much each of the panels cost.

Hopefully this helps, sorry to hear you where involved in an accident also. A few of my friends have been forced to fit a bill for an accident they didn't cause also, :frown:

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

Would it be visibly noticeable if the chassis was crumpled? He didn't mention the radiator, just the washer bottle. That's the thing, when I saw his front after the incident, we both agreed that there appeared to be nothing wrong with it, not even a small dent/scratch.. Which makes me feel slightly uneasy about this bumper claim, unless they are indeed that sensitive to slow collisions..

Would it be visibly noticeable if the chassis was crumpled? sensitive to slow collisions..

In a slow collision the chassis would not be visibly damaged, as the front of the chassis will sit behind any bodywork. Usually the very front portion of the chassis is designed to be replaceable as this part is commonly damaged. Potential damage caused is for example, bending, small fractures along parts of the chassis or in the welding. However, I am not a car expert and it is difficult to say exactly what damage has been caused. So I would wait for a damage report to arrive before we jump to conclusions. However it is important to note that, it is in the drivers interest to replace all damaged parts with new parts so that the resell value of the car is not impacted by the collision (excuse the pun :P ). Furthermore replacement car parts are really expensive, the manufacturer always puts a premium on the cost of replacement parts because they are the only people that manufacture the parts and that selling replacement parts is not as profitable as selling a complete car.Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest