The Student Room Group

Arithmetic Sequences 1

Just been doing some revision - and noticed that arithmetic sequences is a weak point.

I've been doing a couple of the solomon C1 papers and this was one of the questions:

Evaluate

(7 + 2r).
R=10

So I did the following:

Worked out a couple of numbers at the beginning of the sequence:

27 + 29 + 31 +33....67 a=27 d=2

Popped those numbers into the equation:

Sn = n/2 (2a + (n-2)d)

sn = 30/2 (2 x 27 +(30-1)2)

I got 1,680 - this is the wrong answer according to the mark scheme...

This is the link to the answer - and this question is question 2 in paper A - I am not quite sure where the 21 comes from....??

https://a9497d7f220e174d38d014b2b1d86a68bedc42a8.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYNExoNEtSS1ViN2c/for-Edexcel/Solomon%20A%20MS%20-%20C1%20Edexcel.pdf
Reply 1
Original post by christinajane

The formula you used is only for the sum of the first n terms. i.e: it needs to start from the first term.

Your sum, on the other hand is: r=1030(7+2r)\displaystyle \sum_{r=10}^{30} (7+2r) which starts from the r=10r=10th term.

To fix this, you can write your sum as:

r=130(7+2r)r=19(7+2r)\displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^{30} (7+2r) - \sum_{r=1}^{9} (7+2r)

i.e: you sum the first 3030 terms allowing you to use the formula and then subtract the sum of the first 99 terms (with the formula) to compensate.
Original post by Zacken
The formula you used is only for the sum of the first n terms. i.e: it needs to start from the first term.

Your sum, on the other hand is: r=1030(7+2r)\displaystyle \sum_{r=10}^{30} (7+2r) which starts from the r=10r=10th term.

To fix this, you can write your sum as:

r=130(7+2r)r=19(7+2r)\displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^{30} (7+2r) - \sum_{r=1}^{9} (7+2r)

i.e: you sum the first 3030 terms allowing you to use the formula and then subtract the sum of the first 99 terms (with the formula) to compensate.

Ahhh yeah! Thats a tricky one - No wonder I am so bad at them - I thought you could just plug the numbers in regardless of what term n starts at. Now I know where 21 comes from!

I never realised it had to start at 1 - as stupid as that sounds.Thanks again zacken!

You're the best!
Reply 3
Ahhh yeah! Thats a tricky one - No wonder I am so bad at them - I thought you could just plug the numbers in regardless of what term n starts at. Now I know where 21 comes from!

I never realised it had to start at 1 - as stupid as that sounds.Thanks again zacken!

You're the best!

No worries, good on you for clearing it up now and making an effort to understand! :smile:
x

Just to add, you could do what you did right to the point where you choose n.

Instead of 30 terms, the 1st term is the 10th term, the 2nd term is the 11th term... so the 30th and final term (represented by the 30 on top) is the 21st term, so you can say it is the sum of 21 terms with a = 27 and d=2, like you did. It's just more rigorous to take the sum from 1 to 9 away from the sum of 1 to 30 to give the sum of 10 to 30.
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM

Instead of 30 terms, the 1st term is the 10th term, the 2nd term is the 11th term... so the 30th and final term (represented by the 30 on top) is the 21st term, so you can say it is the sum of 21 terms with a = 27 and d=2, like you did.

Just to clarify, is this defining a new 'shifted' arithmetic sequence? If so, that's rather neat and just as rigorous as my method. I've never really thought about doing this explicitly before!
Original post by Zacken
Just to clarify, is this defining a new 'shifted' arithmetic sequence? If so, that's rather neat and just as rigorous as my method. I've never really thought about doing this explicitly before!

Yes, nor have I. :rofl:

I think it would work out in the exam as long as you explain what you're doing.
Original post by Zacken

It all makes sense when its explained to me properly - like now I understand why my answer was too high for this question -

if like me I am doing the sum from one right up to 30 - which is essentially what I did - instead of 21 terms.

Another thing that catches me out is - is when to count the first n term

uhm like in this case it is 30 - 9 = 21

I probably still would have done 30 - 10 if I hadnt of seen the answer.

Gets me every time - that n-1 one thing and when to apply it.....
It all makes sense when its explained to me properly - like now I understand why my answer was too high for this question -

if like me I am doing the sum from one right up to 30 - which is essentially what I did - instead of 21 terms.

Another thing that catches me out is - is when to count the first n term

uhm like in this case it is 30 - 9 = 21

I probably still would have done 30 - 10 if I hadnt of seen the answer.

Gets me every time - that n-1 one thing and when to apply it.....

It's just something that you have to get used to. If you have the numbers 10, 11, 12.. all the way up to 30, there are 21 numbers there and so 21 terms.

You could count with your hand - 10 is the first term, 11 is the second, 12... and you find that your 10th digit will be the 19th term, so the 20th will be the 29th term, so the 30th term will be 21. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest