The Student Room Group

Second degree in Design

I have a degree in a science-based subject (nursing with a first-class) and I would like to study for a second degree in Fashion Design. It is something I've always wanted to study; however, due to personal circumstances it's not been possible (childcare, mortgage). I'm 26 and I would like to know my options. I have been told I would not qualify for a master's as my current degree is not appropriate for admission. I do not have a-levels in art so I may have to go back to college. Furthermore, I am aware of the tuition fees for a second degree and I understand that I would have to take out a loan.

I feel that life is too short to not do what you love!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Laura :-)
Nursing with a first class sounds like a great achievement. Though can I ask why you're not happy with it?

Sorry can't really help with your actual question as it's somethnig I know nothing about.
Original post by L.Jane
I have a degree in a science-based subject (nursing with a first-class) and I would like to study for a second degree in Fashion Design. It is something I've always wanted to study; however, due to personal circumstances it's not been possible (childcare, mortgage). I'm 26 and I would like to know my options. I have been told I would not qualify for a master's as my current degree is not appropriate for admission. I do not have a-levels in art so I may have to go back to college. Furthermore, I am aware of the tuition fees for a second degree and I understand that I would have to take out a loan.

I feel that life is too short to not do what you love!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

An art foundation course would be a good starting point to build up a portfolio to apply to university. I've flagged this for a move to Art and Design courses where you'll get advice from other people who have been in a similar position.
Reply 3
Original post by Sabertooth
Nursing with a first class sounds like a great achievement. Though can I ask why you're not happy with it?

Sorry can't really help with your actual question as it's somethnig I know nothing about.

I am happy with my degree; however, I would like to go further with fashion design to improved my skills and increase my future potential. :-) I am stuck as to how I will get into university without any art and design based qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
An art foundation course would be a good starting point to build up a portfolio to apply to university. I've flagged this for a move to Art and Design courses where you'll get advice from other people who have been in a similar position.

Thank you :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L.Jane
I am happy with my degree; however, I would like to go further with fashion design to improved my skills and increase my future potential. :-) I am stuck as to how I will get into university without any art and design based qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi L.Jane,

Sounds great that you're looking to improve your skills despite already having a degree, can be nerve wrecking to go through the whole process again but taking baby steps is a very safe way to go.

I took a foundation here at Ravensbourne, perhaps you would be interested in looking into the fashion foundation here as well :smile:
Click Me

Foundation helped me build up a solid base of skills as I came from a fine art background and moved on to do animation, and gave me the little push I needed to move into degree. As well as a qualification, it will help give you that little more confidence to continue on into a degree.

I wish you the best!

Hope this helps!
Jay :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Ravensbourne
Hi L.Jane,

Sounds great that you're looking to improve your skills despite already having a degree, can be nerve wrecking to go through the whole process again but taking baby steps is a very safe way to go.

I took a foundation here at Ravensbourne, perhaps you would be interested in looking into the fashion foundation here as well :smile:
Click Me

Foundation helped me build up a solid base of skills as I came from a fine art background and moved on to do animation, and gave me the little push I needed to move into degree. As well as a qualification, it will help give you that little more confidence to continue on into a degree.

I wish you the best!

Hope this helps!

My university does not have a foundation course and I cannot move as I have a child and a mortgage. I was thinking of completing just the first year of the level 3 fashion design course at college so that I gain experience and achieve a subsidiary diploma. I've messaged my university and they said that They would be happy to interview me with my qualifications; however, a place would be dependant on my work presented at the interview. I have 4 sketch books of photography work and items of clothing I have made; however, I only have a few drawings.

Thanks,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds very good, yes most interviews will consists of them examining your work and interests. Your photography work and hand made clothing will be great, although you only have a few drawings it may be worth looking into doing some life drawing classes and exercise yourself in the physique of the world, just quick sketches of people around you to get into the motion of line. Also good to practice body proportions, how clothes hold the body as well.

Wish you the best of luck,

Original post by L.Jane

My university does not have a foundation course and I cannot move as I have a child and a mortgage. I was thinking of completing just the first year of the level 3 fashion design course at college so that I gain experience and achieve a subsidiary diploma. I've messaged my university and they said that They would be happy to interview me with my qualifications; however, a place would be dependant on my work presented at the interview. I have 4 sketch books of photography work and items of clothing I have made; however, I only have a few drawings.

Thanks,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest