The Student Room Group

How is everyone revising ENGLISH LANGUAGE?

I am really failing at GCSE English Language, i am not stupid, a A-A* student yet i have been getting from E's- A's and i do not understand why. I can clearly sometimes do well as i have got an A in one paper but in the most recent one i got an E. I would obviously like to improve on this grade significantly.
HOW DO YOU REVISE ENGLISH LANGUAGE?

Scroll to see replies

Do plenty of past papers in timed conditions and get your teacher to mark them/give you advice on where you are going wrong. Also I recommend MR Bruff on YouTube as he does amazing tutorials for Englisn Language and Literature.
Reply 2
Original post by kbennett11
Do plenty of past papers in timed conditions and get your teacher to mark them/give you advice on where you are going wrong. Also I recommend MR Bruff on YouTube as he does amazing tutorials for Englisn Language and Literature.

Eurgh, past papers... I hate them but i think thats a good idea, thank you ! I will also check that youtube guy out, sounds a lot less effort
Original post by BE13ZX
I am really failing at GCSE English Language, i am not stupid, a A-A* student yet i have been getting from E's- A's and i do not understand why. I can clearly sometimes do well as i have got an A in one paper but in the most recent one i got an E. I would obviously like to improve on this grade significantly.

what exam board are you with?
Original post by BE13ZX
Eurgh, past papers... I hate them but i think thats a good idea, thank you ! I will also check that youtube guy out, sounds a lot less effort

It's ok! I know I hate past papers but it's the only way I feel I am being prepared for the exam. Plus the youtuber guy is fantastic- he really breaks it down but as well as that shows you how to get the top marks!
Reply 5
Can u maybe link me to a video u found especially useful for English language, especially the comprehension?
Reply 6
With English, I think having a structure to follow really helps.

Also knowing the form of what you're being asked to write is g00d af

I'm assuming your SSPS/SPAG is top bc you said you're A*-A student ini, if not then try workin on that too
Reply 7
Original post by BE13ZX

**** English I'm forced to do foundation when I'm already getting a C ********
Original post by BE13ZX

what exam board are you on?
are you good and what do you get on english literature?
Original post by zanner
With English, I think having a structure to follow really helps.

Also knowing the form of what you're being asked to write is g00d af

I'm assuming your SSPS/SPAG is top bc you said you're A*-A student ini, if not then try workin on that too

What's SSPS/SPAG? o.o
Reply 10
Original post by Perfection Ace
What's SSPS/SPAG? o.o

Sentence Structure, Punctuation, Spelling
Spelling, Punctuation, And Grammar
Our school got somebody who teaches people how to examine the papers in and he went through how to do question 4 because it's what we struggled with the most. For 10 marks on Q4 higher paper you only need 1 paragraph which has a quotation, 3 connotations and the effect on the reader for each text.

I find that doing past papers are practicing the technique helps a lot too, good luck with the exams in the summer☺️
Original post by zanner
Sentence Structure, Punctuation, Spelling
Spelling, Punctuation, And Grammar

Ah, thanks bro. What would be included in sentence structures? Connectives?
Original post by GCSE_
**** English I'm forced to do foundation when I'm already getting a C ********

i was forced to do a foundation in english, when im a B

but yh, they allowed me in the end after my mum raged at them ahaha xD

but still have to pay fe of 45 quid to change my tier from foundation to higher
Original post by BE13ZX

im an A* in English Language, pm me if you want any help :smile:
Reply 15
Ah, thanks bro. What would be included in sentence structures? Connectives?

Varying sentence type, and length. Compound sentences, complex, and simple sentences.

Also using a range of relevant punctuation CORRECTLY is v v helpful. Also varying paragraph length is v good.

Using commas in different ways is c00l tooo

hope i helped :biggrin:
Reply 16
Thank you everyone, i will do past papers, my SPAG is not great, i would love some more info on layout of questions and the format of the paper. Im wjec exam board, if anyone knows anything about the general format and how to answer, especially the comprehension
Reply 17
Original post by mariam687
i was forced to do a foundation in english, when im a B

but yh, they allowed me in the end after my mum raged at them ahaha xD

but still have to pay fe of 45 quid to change my tier from foundation to higher

Hey should I ask my parents to rage?
Original post by zanner
Varying sentence type, and length. Compound sentences, complex, and simple sentences.

Also using a range of relevant punctuation CORRECTLY is v v helpful. Also varying paragraph length is v good.

Using commas in different ways is c00l tooo

hope i helped :biggrin:

Ah, thanks for the help bro. Much appreciated! =)
Reply 19
Ah, thanks for the help bro. Much appreciated! =)

Np :biggrin:
try to use semi-colons, colons, commas, dashes, short sentences etc etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending