The Student Room Group

Graphing in three dimensions?

Does anyone know a good source for learning how to sketch graphs of functions in three dimensions.

Things like z=xyz = xy and x2+y2+4z2=1 x^2+y^2+4z^2 = 1, with lots of examples. I don't mind book suggestions.
Reply 1
Original post by NoNickname
Does anyone know a good source for learning how to sketch graphs of functions in three dimensions.

Things like z=xyz = xy and x2+y2+4z2=1 x^2+y^2+4z^2 = 1, with lots of examples. I don't mind book suggestions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-6YHvMrbP8

Is this useful?
Reply 2
Seen that already, along with a few other youtube videos. But it's not sticking somehow.
Original post by NoNickname

Experiment with a program which graphs in 3D
@atsruser gave link to one a while back
Reply 4
Original post by ODES_PDES

I recommend sage maths cloud version whch is more tricky to use than wolfram alpha but is completely free as opposed to only being free up to the point where you want to do something useful.

Also Sage is open source and you can download it all and run your own version if you (a) Know a little bit about computers and (b) Have a decent processor.

Did he? If so, he's forgotten about it, and would like to know which one it was.

I'll add a recommendation for R. It's basically statistical software, but the general graphing capabilties are superb. Look at the RGL library, for instance.

Quick Reply

Latest