The Student Room Group

Thoughts on veganism/vegetarians etc

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katodizzle
Yeah same here, I have no problem with them, I actually respect them for taking it on tbh. But I also agree that non vegans/vegetarians get a lot of hate from people who are which is unfair as it is their choice. People should just respect each other's decisions.

True!
I have always wanted to be meat-free my whole, but being a fussy eater and having a family full of meat eaters didn't make it that easy.
Last year I went on a school trip, and due to my fussy eating, I didn't like most of the meals. This meant i was just eating the sides and things that were all meat free. I decided finally to carry it on. Since then I've never looked back as I feel less guilty about the food I eat and I've tried so many things I never would have before,

Luckily for me, I am mildly lactose intolerant so from about the age of 10 I've had non dairy milk. Transitioning from vegetarian-ism to vegan-ism is hard when you're such a fussy eater like me, but I'm much better than before! Eating animal products, including milk and eggs, just makes me feel ill never mind the ethical reasons behind eating them. Over 70% of the world is intolerant to dairy, so I do not understand people who say its 'natural' to eat these things.

I do not push my views onto others, as I once was a meat eater too. However, I do like to educate people and bust some of the myths people have about veganism. You can infact get enough vitamins and minerals from a vegan diet, you just have to eat the right things. I had to continue eating eggs for a while because I would not try protein vegan sources like chickpeas and beans. Turns out I love them and they're a great source of protein for me now!

I am guilty of eating some milk chocolate, ice cream and things now and again but I'm on the road to vegan ism and it feels great.
Sorry this was stupidly long but if anyone has any questions or things dont hesitate to ask (just be nice:biggrin:)!
Reply 22
I guess I'm just used to it because I was never much of a meat eater but new vegetarians find it difficult and I understand . Good luck and all the best my friend
I think it's cool as long as I'm not nagged on about how eating meat is "evil" or all that bs.
Can you recommend any good recipes?

vegetarian/ vegan chilli or curries always go down a treat.
just got to look online on like vegan sites for some recipes lol, i sorta guess the ingredients and put them all together.

http://ohsheglows.com/categories/recipes-2/food-entrees/main-beans-legumes/

some nice recipes on there!
Original post by harrietbh12
I have always wanted to be meat-free my whole, but being a fussy eater and having a family full of meat eaters didn't make it that easy.
Last year I went on a school trip, and due to my fussy eating, I didn't like most of the meals. This meant i was just eating the sides and things that were all meat free. I decided finally to carry it on. Since then I've never looked back as I feel less guilty about the food I eat and I've tried so many things I never would have before,

Luckily for me, I am mildly lactose intolerant so from about the age of 10 I've had non dairy milk. Transitioning from vegetarian-ism to vegan-ism is hard when you're such a fussy eater like me, but I'm much better than before! Eating animal products, including milk and eggs, just makes me feel ill never mind the ethical reasons behind eating them. Over 70% of the world is intolerant to dairy, so I do not understand people who say its 'natural' to eat these things.

I do not push my views onto others, as I once was a meat eater too. However, I do like to educate people and bust some of the myths people have about veganism. You can infact get enough vitamins and minerals from a vegan diet, you just have to eat the right things. I had to continue eating eggs for a while because I would not try protein vegan sources like chickpeas and beans. Turns out I love them and they're a great source of protein for me now!

I am guilty of eating some milk chocolate, ice cream and things now and again but I'm on the road to vegan ism and it feels great.
Sorry this was stupidly long but if anyone has any questions or things dont hesitate to ask (just be nice:biggrin:)!

Well good for you for going vegan, I really respect people who live that way. I hate the idea of killing animals and the brutality of battery farming etc, but coming from a family of serious meat eaters it's so difficult. No one really agrees with veganism/vegetarianism in my family so there's no escape from meat. However, I have cut down my consumption of meat a huge deal, I eat far less than I did last year which I'm proud of.
Controversy? I'm not sure I follow. I can understand a vegan/vegetarian not liking non vegans/vegetarians, but not the other way around.
Original post by morgan8002
Controversy? I'm not sure I follow. I can understand a vegan/vegetarian hating non vegans/vegetarians, but not the other way around.

I don't hate vegans or vegetarians etc, I have said that I actually respect them for living like that. I've just read a lot of different things coming from both sides and it's a dilemma for me because I don't know which side is right. That's why I asked, to see what people actually think.
Well good for you for going vegan, I really respect people who live that way. I hate the idea of killing animals and the brutality of battery farming etc, but coming from a family of serious meat eaters it's so difficult. No one really agrees with veganism/vegetarianism in my family so there's no escape from meat. However, I have cut down my consumption of meat a huge deal, I eat far less than I did last year which I'm proud of.

I'm the same! I'm the only non meat eater in a large family, so family gatherings can be a bit of a nightmare. They always end up with me cooking something for myself on the side of everyone else's meal, but to be honest it normally means I get a nicer meal. Even just ordering a drink in a shop and asking for non-dairy milk, or ordering a veggie meal when you go out is a good step! Little things can help make a big difference.
I'm totally accepting of people being vegan and vegetarian but its not a choice I would personally make in the near future and this is why:

I'm underweight and my diet is heavily meat and animal product heavy, I have never been a fan of fruit and vegetables. This makes me worry about the impact a dramatic change to my diet would cause. I fear that becoming vegan or vegetarian would impact negatively on my health and well being. While I fully support the ideas and reasoning behind being vegan or vegetarian It's not something I am really able to do without consulting my doctor. Plus its exam time and pork pies are getting me though life right now :smile:
Original post by harrietbh12
I'm the same! I'm the only non meat eater in a large family, so family gatherings can be a bit of a nightmare. They always end up with me cooking something for myself on the side of everyone else's meal, but to be honest it normally means I get a nicer meal. Even just ordering a drink in a shop and asking for non-dairy milk, or ordering a veggie meal when you go out is a good step! Little things can help make a big difference.

Yeah true, at school I eat more veggie meals than regular mains, and I have been trying coffee with soy milk etc, so I'm doing little things to help.
Reply 31
Being vegan is very easy as there are alternatives to everything that I used to enjoy eating as a meat eater so I don't miss a thing :-)
Also it's much cheaper and I feel great!
Original post by Jonsmith98
I'm totally accepting of people being vegan and vegetarian but its not a choice I would personally make in the near future and this is why:

I'm underweight and my diet is heavily meat and animal product heavy, I have never been a fan of fruit and vegetables. This makes me worry about the impact a dramatic change to my diet would cause. I fear that becoming vegan or vegetarian would impact negatively on my health and well being. While I fully support the ideas and reasoning behind being vegan or vegetarian It's not something I am really able to do without consulting my doctor. Plus its exam time and pork pies are getting me though life right now :smile:

Well that's fair enough because it's your health :smile: Same, I support the moral arguments, but I don't think I could commit to it properly, however, I'm taking steps to eat much less meat to do my bit, even if it is a little.
Yeah true, at school I eat more veggie meals than regular mains, and I have been trying coffee with soy milk etc, so I'm doing little things to help.

It's really nice to see you accepting and embracing it, normally meat eaters get really offended if we suggest one little thing! Hahaa good luck with your journey
I like the taste of meat, good luck to those who live without it. It does not harm me and so if you are, I will not badmouth your choice.
Well that's fair enough because it's your health :smile: Same, I support the moral arguments, but I don't think I could commit to it properly, however, I'm taking steps to eat much less meat to do my bit, even if it is a little.

I think that's the a nice approach, I think that when i am at uni and have more control over what food is in the fridge I may be able to be more thoughtful of the food i purchase and potentially cut down the meat content of my diet. :smile: One thing I am interested in is this food called Quorn, has anyone had it before? Any comments?
My parents are both vegetarian for religious reasons so we don't eat meat or eggs at home but my parents are ok with me and my brother eating meat just not in our home so my brother eats meat except for beef and I choose to be vegetarian because I like animals too much, but I have eaten meat before. I think everyone should just be allowed to do and eat what they want to and I don't understand what you meant by vegetarians/vegans getting hate as many people I know are vegetarian/vegan.
Reply 37
Amazing!! going vegan was one of the best choices I've ever made, also cleared all of my eczema :smile:)
im neither but i really wanna be vegan one day it sounds amazing and the research ive done makes me think its the best lifestyle

i highly recommend you watch cowspiracy and from farm to fridge whether or not you are interested because its better to be educated

like i said i would like to be vegan but im finding it very hard to do, my family eat the same food which is all animal product and im finding it really difficult so i may convert after my GCSEs since ill be fasting so its easier ti slowly get into the vegan lifestyle, but if anyone has any tips id really like some :smile:

also i have nothing against vegans but you've got light twins on youtube as well as freelee the banana girl who go round hating on non-vegans and its really petty, like mate before you were non-vegan but there is no way you will convert people with the attitude you are radiating off, light twins especially title their videos like "zoella causing eating disorders" as a clickbait, but its wrong, you dont use EDs to get views, its like me making a hack video and calling it, cow gets stabbed by birds beak like no dont do it. also freelee likes reacting to non-vegans and yeeling like YOURE KILLING THE ANIMALS YOURE GUNNA GET CANCER. like if you want to convert someone inform them, dont tell them theyre gonna die geez!
Original post by Anonymous
Posting anonymously so I don't get slated for my opinions :argh:

If you have to be vegetarian/vegan for a real dietary purpose then that's absolutely fine, that's what's best for your body. And religious reasons for meat etc, that's also fine.
BUT,
if you're one of those people who becomes veggie/vegan because you want to be different/think it's cool then that's just daft. We designed to eat meat and animal produce and we get loads and loads of nutrients from it. Sure, there are lots of other alternatives that vegans eat but you're paying more in general and what's the point? I know a couple of vegans and they have to take supplements because they're lacking important vitamins. Do what's best for your body and eat a proper, balanced diet in combination with regular exercise and you'll be nice and healthy. :smile:

You forgot about the demographic who don't eat meat simply because they were once animals.

Quick Reply