The Student Room Group

CUG 2017 rankings - just released

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jenny50
Loughborough ahead of Warwick and UCL lol what a joke. IMO both UCL and Warwick are top 6 Universities and Loughborough is a top 20 at best (which is still great obviously).

Also Bristol 24th lol seriously?

LOOOL who knows

Apparently Kent is better than Bristol now :smile: :smile: :smile:
Original post by INF10
Loughborough although a decent university, its definately not a top 10 university, Oxbridge/UCL/Warwick/LSE/Imperial/Durham/St Andrews are the top 8 (In no particular order) and then the likes of Bristol/KCL/Edinburgh are all contenders for the remaining 2 spots.

Elite finance firms target Warwick/UCL a lot more than Loughborough.

Dont think they base uni rankings on where finance firms target lol
Reply 22
Original post by Daniel9998
Dont think they base uni rankings on where finance firms target lol

Yeah I am aware I im just trying to emphasise how the elite firms go for the best universities and Loughborough is obviously not on the same level as those that I mentioned hence it does not deserve to be ranked above those 2 universities.

Bristol/KCL/Edinburgh/Nottingham are also hands down better institutions than Loughborough.
Loughborough is defo a good university no doubt but its not a top 10.
PhD from Loughborough. Cheers, lads.
Just to add. Me and all my Loughborough coursemates are sorted in life (finance-type things).
Original post by jneill
Top 5 unchanged
Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
Imperial
St Andrews

Loughborough up to 7th (from 11th)

I noticed there are some changes.

The first change is LSE. Though overall ranking position is about the same, its entry standard's dropped out of top 4. It actually is the first time at least after the introduction of the current UCAS Tariff system since 2006 (also means the first time for Durham to be the top 4 most difficult university). LSE's UCAS point is now back to the stage of 2009 (before the introduction of A*), severely losing its popularity for some reason.

Another noticeable university with a downward curve is York that used to be one of the most popular options outside of top 10 (until 2008-2009 entrants), but now it's a bottom of top 20. I also don't know the reason why, but somehow York is no more popular.

By contrast, there are a couple of universities getting more popular and competitive. Surrey used to be barely top 30 before 2014(2011-2012 entrants), but now within top 20. Glasgow, Exeter and Aberdeen are also such successful universities.

I attached a table of entry standards for anyone who are interested to see it.

(edited 7 years ago)
Thought Exeter would continue to climb up the ranks just a little more. A little disappointed to be honest.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Complete University Guide new rankings are out now:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

Top 5 unchanged
Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
Imperial
St Andrews

Loughborough up to 7th (from 11th)

please do one for the times if possible. I want to see which unis are top 24 and aren't Russel group
The university I'm meant to be going to in September has went to second last in Scotland :/ Slightly put me off going there now considering that I had better options.
Reply 29
Original post by quasa
please do one for the times if possible. I want to see which unis are top 24 and aren't Russel group

I can't because, paywall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lolz I'm so well educated
Original post by jneill
I can't because, paywall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a way to access the Times rankings without hitting the paywall.

Quote me back so I remember to dig out the links tomorrow.
Reply 32
Original post by quasa

Original post by PQ
There is a way to access the Times rankings without hitting the paywall.

Found it via http://www.milkround.com/staticpages/12780/good-university-guide/
The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2016
1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Imperial
4. St Andrews
5. Durham
6. Warwick
7. Exeter
8. Surrey
9. LSE
10. UCL
11. Lancaster
12. Bath
13. Loughborough
14. Leeds
15. York
16. Southampton
17. Birmingham
18. UEA
19. Sussex
20. Bristol
21. Sheffield
22. Edinburgh
23= Newcastle
23= Kent
25. Nottingham
26. Glasgow
27. KCL
28= Manchester
28= Leicester
30. Aston
Lets not measure our richards now
Original post by JohnGreek
LSE is worse than Imperial in every single possible measure, yet still manages to rank above it for like the third or fourth year in a row

gg fam

Because they have better 'grad prospects' and 'graduating with good honours' by about 2% on the full table, which happens to make LSE be 2 points higher than Imperial.

Last year it was because they had a higher green score, ffs. No one cares about that when they select unis. Every other metric had them lower...
Original post by Daniel9998
LOOOL who knows

Apparently Kent is better than Bristol now :smile: :smile: :smile:

By the looks of it, they're 16-23 in all tables so kudos to Kent for beating a bunch of Russell group unis across the board
Reply 36
Original post by yl95
Because they have better 'grad prospects' and 'graduating with good honours' by about 2% on the full table, which happens to make LSE be 2 points higher than Imperial.

No, Imperial has much higher graduate prospects than LSE ie 90.8 vs 78.5.
Reply 37
I have no idea how I would choose between two years at York and 3 years at Warwick for Law...
Can't tell whether Warwick is really worth another 20,000 pounds :/
Original post by JohnGreek
LSE is worse than Imperial in every single possible measure, yet still manages to rank above it for like the third or fourth year in a row

There are girls.
Original post by jneill
Found it via http://www.milkround.com/staticpages/12780/good-university-guide/
The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2016
1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Imperial
4. St Andrews
5. Durham
6. Warwick
7. Exeter
8. Surrey
9. LSE
10. UCL
11. Lancaster
12. Bath
13. Loughborough
14. Leeds
15. York
16. Southampton
17. Birmingham
18. UEA
19. Sussex
20. Bristol
21. Sheffield
22. Edinburgh
23= Newcastle
23= Kent
25. Nottingham
26. Glasgow
27. KCL
28= Manchester
28= Leicester
30. Aston

http://st.hitcreative.com/education/university_guide/active/UniversityGuide/index/year/2016 <= the most recent tables (published Sept 2015)
http://st.hitcreative.com/education/university_guide/active/UniversityGuide/index/year/2015 <= the year before
http://st.hitcreative.com/education/university_guide/active/UniversityGuide/index/year/2014 <= (and although it looks identical on the main page) the year before that

All 100% not breaking the paywall - they're hosted by the Times contractors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending