The Student Room Group

how to learn finance

hello!

I want to learn about finance, banking and corporate finance, to pursue a career in finance and banking.

The problem is that I have many unknown words and I can't find an introductory book to explain the basics and start from there.

For example, what securities are, what options are, what equities are. Etc.

Can you suggest me a book(s) or other resources, or even courses and certifications that will help me learn the basics?

thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by studos
hello!I want to learn about finance, banking and corporate finance, to pursue a career in finance and banking.The problem is that I have many unknown words and I can't find an introductory book to explain the basics and start from there.For example, what securities are, what options are, what equities are. Etc.Can you suggest me a book(s) or other resources, or even courses and certifications that will help me learn the basics?thanks!

Type in "securities" on google and you will get your answer on one of the websites. If you find that hard to do then you have some serious work to do. Why do you want to pursue a career in finance if you don't even know basic financial terms? Go on google and learn this stuff. I'm still in school yet I know what all these terms mean, so do hundreds of thousands of other people aspiring to work in finance. I don't think those people had to ask an Internet forum to do their research for them.

If you're applying for medicine, you probably already know what a heart is. If you're applying for architecture you probably know what brutalist means. So how on Earth are you going to be passionate about finance when you don't know what a security is? That's the most basic stuff. I get that banks teach you what you need to know but they already expect people to know this basic stuff since it comes up on interviews.
Original post by studos
hello!I want to learn about finance, banking and corporate finance, to pursue a career in finance and banking.The problem is that I have many unknown words and I can't find an introductory book to explain the basics and start from there.For example, what securities are, what options are, what equities are. Etc.Can you suggest me a book(s) or other resources, or even courses and certifications that will help me learn the basics?thanks!

What does an investment bank do and what is corporate finance? Do you know that?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by studos
hello!

I want to learn about finance, banking and corporate finance, to pursue a career in finance and banking.

The problem is that I have many unknown words and I can't find an introductory book to explain the basics and start from there.

Can you suggest me a book(s) or other resources, or even courses and certifications that will help me learn the basics?

thanks!

Why did you put this in the economics forum lol
Economics is a social science discipline. This post is about careers.
So nobody else wants to give constructive advice.

Vault Guide To Investment Banking is a decent general overview for dummies style book, you can find a pdf easily online.

For something a little more in depth and rigorous in terms of securities and investment strat;

Security Analysis: Sixth Edition
Intelligent Investor

If you're serious about learning more about IB use http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/, far more experienced people to ask, and already a ton of information stickied. Don't ask questions on here again.

For general articles etc. http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/homepage-splash-3/

Good luck. :smile:
Equities are basically shares, i.e. ownership of a company

Securities are just bonds and shares.
Reply 6
Original post by studos
hello!

thanks!

What is your academic background?
Reply 7
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
So nobody else wants to give constructive advice.

The other replies are from people who keep encountering the OP elsewhere on TSR. He has previous...
Original post by jneill
The other replies are from people who keep encountering the OP elsewhere on TSR. He has previous...

Ah right, I thought they just happened to be self righteous pricks :p: Good to know
books for derivatives:

options, futures and other derivatives - john c hull

for ibd m&a:

investment banking valuations, LBOs and M&A - joshua rosenbaum

__

having interned in these areas, i can confirm these are pretty much the bibles of the respective fields
Reply 10
Ah right, I thought they just happened to be self righteous pricks :p: Good to know

Check the posting history :wink:
Original post by gr8wizard10
books for derivatives:

options, futures and other derivatives - john c hull

for ibd m&a:

investment banking valuations, LBOs and M&A - joshua rosenbaum

__

having interned in these areas, i can confirm these are pretty much the bibles of the respective fields

I wouldn't even recommend these books for a newbie genuinely interested, it's definitely a fleeting fancy for OP he's asked the same question for just about every competitive sector. :p:

Original post by jneill
Check the posting history :wink:

Haha have done :p: Confused is an understatement.
Whenever Studos starts a thread:
Reply 13
[QUOTE=Aristotle's' Disciple;64397825Haha have done :p: Confused is an understatement.

Indeed, e.g. he wants to apply to IB companies without knowing what equities are...
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4021627
I wouldn't even recommend these books for a newbie genuinely interested, it's definitely a fleeting fancy for OP he's asked the same question for just about every competitive sector. :p:.

yeah, i've seen his post history, he seems to have a rough time but i think he gets too much flack. from what i remember he's studied engineering so i'm guessing he's comfortable with numbers and these books supplement people with quantitative ability.

i like the guys non-willingness to give us, although he/she should really find a focus.
Original post by jneill
Indeed, e.g. he wants to apply to IB companies without knowing what equities are...
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4021627

maybe he wants to work in dcm :K:
Reply 16
Original post by studos

maybe he wants to work in dcm :K:

:rolleyes:
Why are you still posting at the same time about commercial law? Figure out what you wnat to do as a career first instead of trying to become an IB/Accountant/Lawyer.
Original post by studos
no, you thought right, they are pricks

What does an investment bank do? What is corporate finance? Since you want to pursue it. Try investopedia for definitions of terms.
yeah, i've seen his post history, he seems to have a rough time but i think he gets too much flack. from what i remember he's studied engineering so i'm guessing he's comfortable with numbers and these books supplement people with quantitative ability.

i like the guys non-willingness to give us, although he/she should really find a focus.

TBF people have given him loads of advice and he never takes any of it. he tends to tell people they know nothing.
Its not just investment banking its accountancy and law he is pursuing as well.
he needs to focus and decides what he wnats besides just money and prestige.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending