The Student Room Group

I always think so little of myself

Hi! I always think so little of myself and I just want to stop. I get anxiety, and for 7 weeks last year, I had to see someone about it. It really helped, but it hasn't gone completely.

It's just however much I try in things, I always feel like I could do more or I've not done enough. At work, I get praise from managers and supervisors etc, but I just look at my work and think like "I could do better". Like 5 people could thank me for my work, but I'll go home thinking there will always be someone better, or I've not done enough.

I've always tried to be a good friend to people, I love making people laugh, being there for them when they need me, but I just feel like I'm not a good enough friend or there will be a friend of theirs who is much better than me.

In college, I was never happy with the work I produced. I got a Triple Distinction grade, but during feedback with my tutor, if he'd praise me up, I'd always criticise my work, or say things I could do better.

I've always been like this, and it's getting me down lately. I get praised up about things, but I always feel like I don't do enough. How can I stop feeling like this? :frown: Thank you
You sound like a perfectionist. I would start focusing on becoming a bit rough around the edges. Ask yourself what you are trying to prove and go from there.
I consider this a good trait and way to think . Just follow through with the pain and im sure it will lead you to a nicer place.
Truthfully there are no happy people as people who exist with sadness can bring them down. Im sure you want everybody to be happy?
Original post by VeniViciVidi
You sound like a perfectionist. I would start focusing on becoming a bit rough around the edges. Ask yourself what you are trying to prove and go from there.

Original post by Personinsertname
I consider this a good trait and way to think . Just follow through with the pain and im sure it will lead you to a nicer place.
Truthfully there are no happy people as people who exist with sadness can bring them down. Im sure you want everybody to be happy?

I'm not a perfectionist. Nobody is perfect...

I just always want to do my best and make people happy.
IT betters for you to be sad than for others. Im sure a resolve like that will help you. Be happy that your thinking you can make more of an impact i've lost my semblance and existence.
Original post by 2scotty

Don't get pedantic.

You place extremely high standards for yourself so you can get validation from people. Like I said, look at making yourself rough around the edges. Put yourself first. Craft out a mission for yourself. Stop wallowing about it.
Don't get pedantic.

You place extremely high standards for yourself so you can get validation from people. Like I said, look at making yourself rough around the edges. Put yourself first. Craft out a mission for yourself. Stop wallowing about it.

What kind of things should I start doing?

Sorry, I don't want to annoy you. Just need some advice.
Original post by 2scotty
What kind of things should I start doing?

Sorry, I don't want to annoy you. Just need some advice.

Stop apologisng to me for starters.

Follow your passions, set goals for yourself, compare yourself to yourself yesterday, get satisfaction that you are the Captain of your own vessel.

Those are a few pillars to lean on. But I would consider reading this book as a core reading for this module.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/No-More-MR-Nice-Guy/dp/0762415339
Stop apologisng to me for starters.

Follow your passions, set goals for yourself, compare yourself to yourself yesterday, get satisfaction that you are the Captain of your own vessel.

Those are a few pillars to lean on. But I would consider reading this book as a core reading for this module.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/No-More-MR-Nice-Guy/dp/0762415339

Why stop apologising? I like to apologise!

Thank you for this though :smile:
Original post by 2scotty
Why stop apologising? I like to apologise!

Thank you for this though :smile:

Because then when you actually need to apologise, it will sound cheap.
Because then when you actually need to apologise, it will sound cheap.

Good advice.

Thank you
Original post by 2scotty
Hi! I always think so little of myself and I just want to stop. I get anxiety, and for 7 weeks last year, I had to see someone about it. It really helped, but it hasn't gone completely.

It's just however much I try in things, I always feel like I could do more or I've not done enough. At work, I get praise from managers and supervisors etc, but I just look at my work and think like "I could do better". Like 5 people could thank me for my work, but I'll go home thinking there will always be someone better, or I've not done enough.

I've always tried to be a good friend to people, I love making people laugh, being there for them when they need me, but I just feel like I'm not a good enough friend or there will be a friend of theirs who is much better than me.

In college, I was never happy with the work I produced. I got a Triple Distinction grade, but during feedback with my tutor, if he'd praise me up, I'd always criticise my work, or say things I could do better.

I've always been like this, and it's getting me down lately. I get praised up about things, but I always feel like I don't do enough. How can I stop feeling like this? :frown: Thank you

You have very high standards
Original post by ODES_PDES
You have very high standards

I need to stop being like that.
Original post by 2scotty

Since it helped before maybe seeing a counsellor/close friends/family might help to begin with to release your emotions and just let it out?

Original post by 2scotty

Thats good, youre trying to improve but just realise you gave it your best, an no one can demand more, youre only human, not a robot

Original post by 2scotty

Yeah sometimes its actually the chemistry that gives off a weird vibe, are you trying to make friends with ppl with similar intrests/hobbies/morals/topics??

Original post by 2scotty

Huh how do you react to criticism then? Do you criticise yourself further? Maybe youre a person who like balance, every compliment must be balanced for you?
Original post by 2scotty

I'm the same. A dear friend of mine told me to stop that for a while and try to make myself happy. I burst into tears, because I didn't know how, or more like where to start.
just lift and get absolutely shredded
Original post by ForestShadow
Since it helped before maybe seeing a counsellor/close friends/family might help to begin with to release your emotions and just let it out?

Thats good, youre trying to improve but just realise you gave it your best, an no one can demand more, youre only human, not a robot

Yeah sometimes its actually the chemistry that gives off a weird vibe, are you trying to make friends with ppl with similar intrests/hobbies/morals/topics??

Huh how do you react to criticism then? Do you criticise yourself further? Maybe youre a person who like balance, every compliment must be balanced for you?

I've seen a councillor about my anxiety. It stopped that, but now I just worry I don't do enough for others or don't do enough in my job

As for receiving criticism, I do criticise myself further.
Original post by LaMandarine
I'm the same. A dear friend of mine told me to stop that for a while and try to make myself happy. I burst into tears, because I didn't know how, or more like where to start.

People tell me to be more happy and to stop worrying but to me, it's like telling an alcoholic to stop drinking or someone who smokes to just stop. It's not easy to just simply stop :frown:

What did you do next?

Quick Reply

Latest