The Student Room Group

Social experiment shows leftist women's hypocrisy on sharing bathrooms with trans men

Scroll to see replies

To be honest, I would not feel comfortable sharing the women's bathroom with a delusional man. That would be strange and too out of my comfort zone. There have been cases of women getting sexually assaulted, or raped by men who claim they're women or dress like one. So, I'm really going to put myself at risk for people who make up a small percentage. Its one thing to be gay but its another to claim you were born in the wrong body and claim gender doesn't exist while attempting to be the gender you want that is a social construct. The women in the video were at least being honest with their reactions.

Plastic surgery is expensive. Transgender males do put a little more effort in attempting to look feminine. Make up and dress can only do so much. It cannot change masculine facial structures and the male body structure. So, yeah. The dude in the dress in the video below ain't that far off.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SmileyVibe
To be honest, I would not feel comfortable sharing the women's bathroom with a delusional man. That would be strange and too out of my comfort zone. There have been cases of women getting sexually assaulted, or raped by men who claim they're women or dress like one. So, I'm really going to put myself at risk for people who make up a small percentage. Its one thing to be gay but its another to claim you were born in the wrong body and claim gender doesn't exist while attempting to be the gender you want that is a social construct. The women in the video were at least being honest with their reactions.

Plastic surgery is expensive. Transgender males do put a little more effort in attempting to look feminine. Make up and dress can only do so much. It cannot change masculine facial structures and the male body structure. So, yeah. The dude in the dress in the video below ain't that far off.

Sources?

I don't think anyone is claiming gender doesn't exist but rather that it is socially constructed, the two are entirely different. To say that something is a social construct is not to say it is not real nor has any effect over us, but rather social constructs exists because humanity has constructed them. They would not exist without us and our society/s upholding them. The British government, for example, is a social construct. The government as a construct certainly exists, and exerts great power over people (like gender) but it would not exist if we (humans, that is) didn't create. The same is said for gender, and how men and women are characterised.

So, when someone identifies with a gender counter to the one they were assigned at birth, but also believes in the social construction of gender it is not a contradiction.
Original post by plstudent
I bet they have twitter, instagram and facebook accounts where they whine about all "transphobes", just like they whine about "racists" and vote for more immigration while sending their children to the whitest school possible.

Who said the women who reacted so badly in the bathroom were "leftist"? Just because you're a woman, doesn't mean you subscribe to leftist views. :tongue: They seem to me like they're probably quite conservative if they're not open-minded enough to view transgendered women as equals.
Original post by chocoholic_x
Sources?

I don't think anyone is claiming gender doesn't exist but rather that it is socially constructed, the two are entirely different. To say that something is a social construct is not to say it is not real nor has any effect over us, but rather social constructs exists because humanity has constructed them. They would not exist without us and our society/s upholding them. The British government, for example, is a social construct. The government as a construct certainly exists, and exerts great power over people (like gender) but it would not exist if we (humans, that is) didn't create. The same is said for gender, and how men and women are characterised.

So, when someone identifies with a gender counter to the one they were assigned at birth, but also believes in the social construction of gender it is not a contradiction.

I'm just saying some women have been harmed by those claiming to be transgender or men dressed like women. Does anyone really need sources to claim rape or sexually assault does happen or if there isn't enough sources does it make less valid, and mean the experiences of women who has gone through that make the claim less valid? Just cuz someone claims to be transgender or dresses like a female, doesn't mean they're crossed off the list of being capable of a threat. Just sayin.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/12183349/Girl-15-raped-by-transgender-woman.html

http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/23/a-rape-survivor-speaks-out-about-transgender-bathrooms/

Assigned at birth? Social roles are a social construct. Male or female? Not really. People don't have to fit the stereotypical mold of their gender roles but doesn't mean they're the opposite gender for not fitting in.
I'm just saying some women have been harmed by those claiming to be transgender or men dressed like women. Does anyone really need sources to claim rape or sexually assault does happen or if there isn't enough sources does it make less valid, and mean the experiences of women who has gone through that make the claim less valid? Just cuz someone claims to be transgender or dresses like a female, doesn't mean they're crossed off the list of being capable of a threat. Just sayin.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/12183349/Girl-15-raped-by-transgender-woman.html

http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/23/a-rape-survivor-speaks-out-about-transgender-bathrooms/

Assigned at birth? Social roles are a social construct. Male or female? Not really. People don't have to fit the stereotypical mold of their gender roles but doesn't mean they're the opposite gender for not fitting in.

I'm definitely not saying that the experiences of women who are survivors of sexual assault or rape are less valid because it hasn't been referenced in the newspaper. If someone earnestly told me that they had been assaulted by a transgendered women, I wouldn't ask for proof. I was just curious where you heard these claims. It's quite serious to decide to exclude a minority group. I think it would need more than judging a whole group of people by a few individuals.

For every case of a transgendered person assaulting a woman, there are undoubtedly many more cases of cisgendered men assaulting women or cisgendered women assaulting women. Does that mean we should all stay in our rooms and never interact with anyone else? Lets not tar the whole transgendered community with the same brush.

I didn't say you have to fit the stereotypical mold of your gender to be valid, that exactly not what I am saying. Where did you get that from?? Transgendered women don't fit the stereotypical mold of what society perceives to be women, that's why they face so much difficulty. AND that's why you don't want them sharing the same bathroom as you.:frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm definitely not saying that the experiences of women who are survivors of sexual assault or rape are less valid because it hasn't been referenced in the newspaper. If someone earnestly told me that they had been assaulted by a transgendered women, I wouldn't ask for proof. I was just curious where you heard these claims. It's quite serious to decide to exclude a minority group. I think it would need more than judging a whole group of people by a few individuals.

Excluding men from the women's bathroom is not a bad thing. Men are also excluded from women's locker's room, and vice versa. Exclusion isn't necessarily bad. I did not judge the entire transgender community. I am aware that there are people who do claim to be transgender to get access to the women's bathroom. Does it mean they're transgender automatically? No. Is it possible for a transgender to be a threat? Yes. Some men do get a thrill using the women's bathroom to do whatever they do. I don't let the bad seeds of the transgender scare me but what does seem a little scary how easily anyone can enter the restroom and claim to be transgender when discovered.

For every case of a transgendered person assaulting a woman, there are undoubtedly many more cases of cisgendered men assaulting women or cisgendered women assaulting women. Does that mean we should all stay in our rooms and never interact with anyone else? Lets not tar the whole transgendered community with the same brush.

Haven't those men pretty much assaulted females as well? No. What they should do is report.

I didn't say you have to fit the stereotypical mold of your gender to be valid, that exactly not what I am saying. Where did you get that from?? Transgendered women don't fit the stereotypical mold of what society perceives to be women, that's why they face so much difficulty. AND that's why you don't want them sharing the same bathroom as you.:frown:

I never inferred that you did. I just wanted to give my opinion. Transgender women are biologically men who undergone surgeries to look like women. Isn't there a third bathroom option like the physically disabled restrooms or the family bathroom? No. I believe male transgenders are delusional and I think it is one radical move on society. Women do not have to take particular chemicals or undergo surgeries to become women or remain their shape. There are stereotypical behavior and roles of a woman but it does not apply to biology of a woman.
I never inferred that you did. I just wanted to give my opinion. Transgender women are biologically men who undergone surgeries to look like women. Isn't there a third bathroom option like the physically disabled restrooms or the family bathroom? No. I believe male transgenders are delusional and I think it is one radical move on society. Women do not have to take particular chemicals or undergo surgeries to become women or remain their shape. There are stereotypical behavior and roles of a woman but it does not apply to biology of a woman.

I'm sorry but you're just not backing up any of your claims with reason or evidence. Why are transgendered people delusional? That just sounds like baseless prejudice.

If people neatly fit into two categories of one of two sexes: men or women, where do intersex people fit into this?
I'm sorry but you're just not backing up any of your claims with reason or evidence. Why are transgendered people delusional? That just sounds like baseless prejudice.

If people neatly fit into two categories of one of two sexes: men or women, where do intersex people fit into this?

No need to apologize!
Why? Well, it just doesn't make sense, I tried thinking this over and the more I think about, the less sense it actually makes. So, let's say a little boy grows up feeling a girl. What do girls feel like? Do girls even have a particular feeling of being a girl or do they just know they are just are girls? So is gender an a particular feeling? Then it makes me question, how does it feel to be a boy? Do boys just know they're boys? For me personally, I just what I am. Its like feeling like you're a blond while never walking in a blonde person's shoes before. Or feeling like you're white. Well do white people just feel white or just are white? A Delusional is a false belief. You don't have to believe you're the Queen England only to be delusional. Do you know that when a male is trying to change the penis into a vagina, the penis attempts to repair it as if a wound?

Intersex can identify as male, female or neither but they're not a new sex.

Are you comparing transgenders to intersex? Intersex has female and male characteristics due to their biology. Transgenders are one sex : male or female. It like comparing some one who is injured to someone who feels injured

Reply 28
Left wingers are the worst in the sense they are mostly white privileged snobs who preach stuff like mass immigration while living in their white English only rural retreat.

Perhaps the greatest HYPOCRICY from the left is that they claim to be supporters of LGBT rights, women's rights, animals rights and so on but are the greatest champions of Islam, they always defend Islam after terror attacks or Islamic attacks by claiming Islam is the religion of peace and tolerance, the offenders are not real Muslims and all this bull****. They are a weird group. There are many faults in the right wing community too but they are atleast consistent with their views whether they are controversial or not. I hate those who are against LGBT rights but they openly push that view. Left wingers claim to love LGBT rights but support Islam and Muslim traditions which are against LGBT rights. They claim to
Support animal rights but support halal slaughter methods over legal humane slaughter methods (all charities say halal slaughter is worse). For the record I am very critical of slaughter houses but halal has always proved to be the worst yet the left support it.

OP you have proved another example of the left having one foot on either side of the debate

I bet they have twitter, instagram and facebook accounts where they whine about all "transphobes", just like they whine about "racists" and vote for more immigration while sending their children to the whitest school possible.

[video="youtube;CHt7EBCgJnI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHt7EBCgJnI[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by democracyforum

that guy looks like young Putin :laugh:
Reply 30

But left wingers often claim that gender dysphoria is inborn so that it cannot be attributed to a psychological disorder. To say that and that there is no biological basis for gender (another leftist claim) is clear doublethink.

Original post by TrotskyiteRebel

To be honest, everybody there looks like Putin. 2/3 of people look like Putin with a wig.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by *Stefan*
Gender refers to social characteristics society classifies as feminine or masculine.

Sex is biological.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is wrong on so many levels.
But left wingers often claim that gender dysphoria is inborn so that it cannot be attributed to a psychological disorder. To say that and that there is no biological basis for gender (another leftist claim) is clear doublethink.

To be honest, everybody there looks like Putin. 2/3 of people look like Putin with a wig.

Which left wingers are you referring to because no one in this forum seems to be arguing from both those points (that gender dysphroria is inborn and gender is unrelated to biology)? It's one thing having a debate with someone where neither sides change their position, and it's another thing enitrely to have a debate against a poorly defined set of people who can't hear you. :tongue:

I personally wouldn't claim that gender dysphoria is inborn. The research is relatively new and the results aren't conclusive yet, but as with almost everything in psychology, it is likely to be a result of an interaction of environment and genetics.
Reply 33
Which left wingers are you referring to because no one in this forum seems to be arguing from both those points (that gender dysphroria is inborn and gender is unrelated to biology)? It's one thing having a debate with someone where neither sides change their position, and it's another thing enitrely to have a debate against a poorly defined set of people who can't hear you. :tongue:

I personally wouldn't claim that gender dysphoria is inborn. The research is relatively new and the results aren't conclusive yet, but as with almost everything in psychology, it is likely to be a result of an interaction of environment and genetics.

I don't think anyone is claiming gender doesn't exist but rather that it is socially constructed, the two are entirely different.

So, if there is a genetic component to it, how can you claim gender is unrelated to biology and merely a social construct?
(edited 7 years ago)
No need to apologize!
Why? Well, it just doesn't make sense, I tried thinking this over and the more I think about, the less sense it actually makes. So, let's say a little boy grows up feeling a girl. What do girls feel like? Do girls even have a particular feeling of being a girl or do they just know they are just are girls? So is gender an a particular feeling? Then it makes me question, how does it feel to be a boy? Do boys just know they're boys? For me personally, I just what I am. Its like feeling like you're a blond while never walking in a blonde person's shoes before. Or feeling like you're white. Well do white people just feel white or just are white? A Delusional is a false belief. You don't have to believe you're the Queen England only to be delusional. Do you know that when a male is trying to change the penis into a vagina, the penis attempts to repair it as if a wound?

Intersex can identify as male, female or neither but they're not a new sex.

Are you comparing transgenders to intersex? Intersex has female and male characteristics due to their biology. Transgenders are one sex : male or female. It like comparing some one who is injured to someone who feels injured

This tbh.
Original post by IAmNero
This is wrong on so many levels.

How is it wrong?
So, if there is a genetic component to it, how can you claim gender is unrelated to biology and merely a social construct?

I don't see how the belief that our genetics influence our gender identity is incompatible with the notion that gender is a social construct. The fact that it is not purely biological is what makes it a social construct.

Take the example of psychopathy. One of the ways psychopathy is assessed is by Hare's Psychopathy Checklist. It has 20 items, of which you can score either 0, 1 or 2 for each. Thus, out of a maximum score of 40, the cut-off for the label of psychopathy is 30 in the United States and 25 in the United Kingdom. This seems rather arbitrary right? And it is, the cut-off is socially constructed. Never mind the fact that there are genetic bases of psychopathy. It simply that as a society, for pragmatic reasons, we need to come up with a point to say "Look, you're a psychopath. You're not a psychopath (although you have some psychopathic tendencies".

Similarly, there are biological influences over how we gender identify but it can still be termed a social construct.
Original post by Craig1998
Blatantly looks like a man dressed up as a woman (facial hair, obvious wig as the hair underneath is visible) rather than an actual trans woman (get it right OP). Should send actual trans women in to see if the results are the same.

Exactly. :five:
Original post by TrotskyiteRebel

That'll be back in E. Germany, tapping phones for the Stasi.

Quick Reply

Latest