The Student Room Group

Should I go into what I studied, or progress at where I work?

Hi! :smile:

At University, I studied digital media (film, photography and graphic design). Ever since I graduated, I've been looking at jobs in those areas, but I've never been successful. People just don't seem interested in giving you experience. Plus, when you apply for places, they're not interested as you don't have enough experience, or they don't get back to you.

I always had a dream of working in TV, and a strong interest in photography. That's why I did that course.

However, at the moment, I work full-time in retail. I don't think I can really name the store on here, but it's in a food department (not a supermarket). I never liked retail, but over the past year or two, I've enjoyed it, and I've suddenly became more aware of things like takings and customer service and I just enjoy it. Last year, my Manager asked me if I wanted to progress. At the time, I said no because I always expected to get a media-type job.

A few months later, I did manage to get a good work placement. I hated it, it changed my view media/TV/journalism, and I was more interested in buying my lunch at the local store in the area I did the work placement, because it was the company I work for. I was more interested in going in and seeing this other store's displays, their offers etc.

Last month due to staff shortages, I was asked to run the sales floor. I really enjoyed it, and I've now asked if I could take last years' opportunity which I turned down. Unfortunately now, there isn't a vacancy, but I've been told when the next one comes up, I can go for it.

I've told my friends/family about it, but they're saying to me that I'm only doing it as it's my only option. What do you think? Photography/media/TV was always the dream, but I didn't like that work experience. What if retail was the dream now, and it was meant to be for me since I've not gotten anywhere else? What should I do? Thanks :smile:
Anyone? :smile:
Reply 2
There's nothing wrong with changing your mind. Many (most?) graduates work in jobs not directly linked to their degree, and you are lucky to have the opportunity to progress in something you enjoy and are good at. You didn't enjoy the media work placement and it made you rethink your career goals. I'm sure your family are probably surprised by your change of mind, but I'm sure they'll be supportive.

Best of luck
Original post by marple
There's nothing wrong with changing your mind. Many (most?) graduates work in jobs not directly linked to their degree, and you are lucky to have the opportunity to progress in something you enjoy and are good at. You didn't enjoy the media work placement and it made you rethink your career goals. I'm sure your family are probably surprised by your change of mind, but I'm sure they'll be supportive.

Best of luck

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest