The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

computer science

just wondering, is a computer science degree worth it at Queen marry?
Yes.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by RezzBerry
Yes.

Do you currently study there? if so what are the facilities like and graduate schemes
Original post by imran_
Do you currently study there? if so what are the facilities like and graduate schemes

No, I do not. However, a little bit of research can go a long way.
Original post by imran_
just wondering, is a computer science degree worth it at Queen marry?

Hey! What do you mean by this, are you worried by employment statistics? It states on their website that "The national 2012 destination survey confirmed that 81% of BSc Computer Science graduates were in employment and/or study six months after graduation with 93% already working/studying at graduate level. Queen Mary Computer Science graduates also have a strong earning power, with a median of £24,764."
Also the degree is really broad so you can cover a wide range of topics, meaning you can go into a wide range of degrees. Hope this helps! Let me know if that's not what you meant though, -Sarah
Reply 5
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hey! What do you mean by this, are you worried by employment statistics? It states on their website that "The national 2012 destination survey confirmed that 81% of BSc Computer Science graduates were in employment and/or study six months after graduation with 93% already working/studying at graduate level. Queen Mary Computer Science graduates also have a strong earning power, with a median of £24,764."
Also the degree is really broad so you can cover a wide range of topics, meaning you can go into a wide range of degrees. Hope this helps! Let me know if that's not what you meant though, -Sarah

will an apple mac laptop be okay for this course, or would you recommend a windows os

Statistics from here are a lot more promising: http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10007775FT-UBSF-QMCOMP1-USCOS

90% are further studying/working, £27,000 average salary etc. :smile:

Hi, I don't go Qmul at the moment but i did apply to study compsci from this September. Can i ask you a few questions? if you don't mind

Something i'm really worried about is not being able to get employed after graduating :frown: I've seen statistics, but are they really accurate? Because it seems to me that there's so many people graduating every year, how can there possibly even be enough jobs to go around? I've gotten so worried that i was thinking of switching my degree choice to biology and then become a teacher just to be safe after graduating. For the last few months I've had a part time job at Tesco's and one thing I've learned is that i do not want to do this job full time at all!

thanks!
Original post by imran_
will an apple mac laptop be okay for this course, or would you recommend a windows os

Im a first year and I use a basic windows HP. It's treating me well so far.

One thing yoi shouldn't do is buy 15"+ laptop

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nerdling_CompSci
Im a first year and I use a basic windows HP. It's treating me well so far.

One thing yoi shouldn't do is buy 15"+ laptop

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey man, i applied to study compsci at queen mary from this September. Mind helping me out with a few questions i have?

Also, how is Qmul for compsci? In general, is it a good uni?
Compsci lecturers, are they good? Do they teach you programming well or is it a lot of self study?
How hard is the compsci degree?

Do you know how easy/hard it is to get employed after graduating from qmul in compsci? Something i'm really worried about is not being able to get employed after graduating I've seen statistics saying like 90+% of students become employed withing 6 months etc, but how accurate are they? Because it seems to me that there's so many people graduating every year, how can there possibly even be enough jobs to go around? I've gotten so worried that i was thinking of switching my degree choice to biology and then become a teacher just to be safe after graduating. For the last few months I've had a part time job at Tesco's and one thing I've learned is that i do not want to do this job full time at all!

Thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by bakedbeans247
Hi, I don't go Qmul at the moment but i did apply to study compsci from this September. Can i ask you a few questions? if you don't mind

Something i'm really worried about is not being able to get employed after graduating :frown: I've seen statistics, but are they really accurate? Because it seems to me that there's so many people graduating every year, how can there possibly even be enough jobs to go around? I've gotten so worried that i was thinking of switching my degree choice to biology and then become a teacher just to be safe after graduating. For the last few months I've had a part time job at Tesco's and one thing I've learned is that i do not want to do this job full time at all!

thanks!

Don't let it scare you, also you can still become a teacher with a CS degree. Apply to lots of internship; do work experience; start doing research on the field you want to get into and start building portfolio (all of this during your time at uni) to make yourself stand out. It's what every successful student do.

There are many useful places that offer good advice for students, such as StackExchange and Quora which you should definitely go on.
Original post by bakedbeans247
Hey man, i applied to study compsci at queen mary from this September. Mind helping me out with a few questions i have?

Also, how is Qmul for compsci? In general, is it a good uni?
Compsci lecturers, are they good? Do they teach you programming well or is it a lot of self study?
How hard is the compsci degree?

Do you know how easy/hard it is to get employed after graduating from qmul in compsci? Something i'm really worried about is not being able to get employed after graduating I've seen statistics saying like 90+% of students become employed withing 6 months etc, but how accurate are they? Because it seems to me that there's so many people graduating every year, how can there possibly even be enough jobs to go around? I've gotten so worried that i was thinking of switching my degree choice to biology and then become a teacher just to be safe after graduating. For the last few months I've had a part time job at Tesco's and one thing I've learned is that i do not want to do this job full time at all!

Thanks!

Hey! Im not sure about queen mary because I have never been there! (Qoura is your best Source here) But as far as the degree itself;

Computer science is fun really fun. But its can become frustrating... well for me Iam having a hard time with psuecode, algorithms and flowcharts. I learn the concept and when I have to apply what I habe learnt in an exam I fail miserably. Programming is frustrating for me. I enjoy the math side of this degree but once you see your exam result and see that you actually got the programming questions RIGHT! You begin to start to like programming... one thing you shouldn't do is skip your lectures especially the one who will be teaching you language(s).

Queens mary is a good university in terms of ranking im sure 100% you will find employment without any problem. Im not worried about that myself. Just enjoy your uni life during first year and maybe when you're in your 2nd year begin working (Vac). DONT EVER STRAIN YOURSELF DURING 1ST YEAR.

Oh and None Computer science students at campus will see as a very cool kid who knows everything about computers even if its only been a month of attending lectures.

Computer science is cool cannot think of any other degree I would've done

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kkboyk
Don't let it scare you, also you can still become a teacher with a CS degree. Apply to lots of internship; do work experience; start doing research on the field you want to get into and start building portfolio (all of this during your time at uni) to make yourself stand out. It's what every successful student do.

There are many useful places that offer good advice for students, such as StackExchange and Quora which you should definitely go on.

Thanks for responding, I'll definitely check those two websites out soon. Mind me asking what you do? Where you study/studied?
Do you know anyone that has studied compsci at qmul? or any uni for that matter and were able to find employment straight after graduating?
Also Qoura is like yahoo answers right? I tried searching something just now into the search engine like 'job prospects after graduating from qmul computer science' but nothing came up...Am i doing something wrong here?

Original post by nerdling_CompSci
Hey! Im not sure about queen mary because I have never been there! (Qoura is your best Source here) But as far as the degree itself;

Computer science is fun really fun. But its can become frustrating... well for me Iam having a hard time with psuecode, algorithms and flowcharts. I learn the concept and when I have to apply what I habe learnt in an exam I fail miserably. Programming is frustrating for me. I enjoy the math side of this degree but once you see your exam result and see that you actually got the programming questions RIGHT! You begin to start to like programming... one thing you shouldn't do is skip your lectures especially the one who will be teaching you language(s).

Queens mary is a good university in terms of ranking im sure 100% you will find employment without any problem. Im not worried about that myself. Just enjoy your uni life during first year and maybe when you're in your 2nd year begin working (Vac). DONT EVER STRAIN YOURSELF DURING 1ST YEAR.

Oh and None Computer science students at campus will see as a very cool kid who knows everything about computers even if its only been a month of attending lectures.

Computer science is cool cannot think of any other degree I would've done

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the response! Really appreciate it, thanks :smile: Mind me asking where you study?
The bit in bold above: haha sounds great, but what makes you say this? Do you know people that go qmul or study compsci and have graduated with jobs or something? thanks for the advice!
Also Qoura is like yahoo answers right? I tried searching something just now into the search engine like 'job prospects after graduating from qmul computer science' but nothing came up...Am i doing something wrong here?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending