The Student Room Group

Self Teaching Further Maths.

I was not allowed to do further maths at my school, so i am deciding to self teach it. I am going to teach myself C3, C4, FP1, M1, (Maybe M2), FP2, FP3, D1 & (Maybe D2 )(in that particular order). From summer till late december i will teach myself C3, C4, FP1, M1 & M2 (Maybe FP2 depends how formidable i may turn out to be in C3, C4 & FP1). I aim to complete all those six modules in the summer & use my September to December period to recap on them. After january exams i will complete the rest (Not sure about D2 does it add any relevant knowledge that could help me? if i were considering a course in computer science?). Are all these modules particularly difficult to understand? Which ones are relatively easy and difficult? Which ones could i complete the fastest?

At the moment i am getting 68/75 in C1 & 71/75 in C2.
Reply 1
Taught myself AS fm this year (FP1, D1 & D2) in basically no time at all and with no difficulty. Now wishing I had been brave enough to do the whole A level, I thought self-teaching would be a lot harder than it has been. I found that FP1 is a lot easier than C3 and C4, although neither of those are particularly hard tbh. Can't speak for Mechanics as I did stats instead.
Original post by Bekah22
Taught myself AS fm this year (FP1, D1 & D2) in basically no time at all and with no difficulty. Now wishing I had been brave enough to do the whole A level, I thought self-teaching would be a lot harder than it has been. I found that FP1 is a lot easier than C3 and C4, although neither of those are particularly hard tbh. Can't speak for Mechanics as I did stats instead.
Thanks for the reply? Did you do FP1 before C3 & C4. The specification says that C1 & C2 knowledge is needed, but some people say that doing C3 & C4 is necessary.
Reply 3
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
The specification says that C1 & C2 knowledge is needed, but some people say that doing C3 & C4 is necessary.

It isn't, but you might want to learn implicit differentiation from C4. Takes about 10 minutes to learn.
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
I was not allowed to do further maths at my school, so i am deciding to self teach it. I am going to teach myself C3, C4, FP1, M1, (Maybe M2), FP2, FP3, D1 & (Maybe D2 )(in that particular order). From summer till late december i will teach myself C3, C4, FP1, M1 & M2 (Maybe FP2 depends how formidable i may turn out to be in C3, C4 & FP1). I aim to complete all those six modules in the summer & use my September to December period to recap on them. After january exams i will complete the rest (Not sure about D2 does it add any relevant knowledge that could help me? if i were considering a course in computer science?). Are all these modules particularly difficult to understand? Which ones are relatively easy and difficult? Which ones could i complete the fastest?

At the moment i am getting 68/75 in C1 & 71/75 in C2.

D2 I would recommend for Computer Science. I am taking FP1, D1 and D2 this year, and alot of content in D2 is covered in either first or second year courses, for example Warwick cover Simplex, Dynamic Programming, Network Flows and Game Theory in year 1 Computer Science and these topics are all coverred in D2.
i taught myself FM this year and I would personally spend the summer (like I did) getting really condor table with C3, C4, FP1 and maybe starting on M2.

Quick Reply

Latest