The Student Room Group

For second year Internships, do firms check/place weight on references?

Basically I didn't attend tutorials/seminars since Jan. Which sounds pretty bad, but actually I wasn't getting a lot of of them and chose to do the work in my dorm. Bearing in mind, I didn't think it would be a massive issue, that would warrant it getting recorded.

I recently received a generic email saying they've recorded it and says tutors may make reference to it when giving a reference.

If that's the case do big law firms actually check up on references. I understand they ask for a tutor on the forms, but I've never given names in previous instances when applying for open days and no ones ever been contacted even though it states to state a reference. I'm sure this is not the case for training contracts, but surely not for placements being for less than a month?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
If applying for a TC then yes, they will often check it.

But how thoroughly they check it and then weight it varies between firm, and often is down to individual circumstances (eg if you hadn't put a foot wrong and has excelled in any recruitment process, less likely; if it echoed some concerns raised, very likely to impact your offer).

If it's for a placement, then it could have an impact as above, especially if the programme is competitive or if the firm recruits most/all of its trainees from the scheme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah thanks for your reply. If my tutor next year does decide to make reference to it; which hopefully shouldn't be the case. Then I wasn't sure how likely they would care if I didn't attend tutorials - I just didn't see this as something which could be a nail on the coffin. And it isn't for a TC it would be for VS.
Reply 2
Original post by J-SP
They will care, especially if your grades are not as strong as they should or could be. I wouldn't underestimate how important it is for a vacation scheme either.

I retracted a number of vac scheme offers based on references in my career. Most were due to discrepancies in grades rather than anything like this. But if it had been flagged up in the recruitment process that you seemed a bit too laid back/blaze and then I saw this, I'd probably not retract a vac scheme offer, but I'd be watching you very very closely on the vac scheme itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Grade wise I'm fine. Without sounding pompous, my CV's quite solid. I just didn't think they would care if a first year student doesn't attend seminars and still comes out with a good grade. It seems inconsistent compared to my would be app as a whole. But duly noted.
Reply 3
Original post by J-SP
Guess it will depend what your first year grades finally look like, whether that's in formal assessments/mods.

Your CV might be solid but average grades and a hint of a blaze (or over confident) attitude could be enough. A lot of firms ask for references prior to interview and the references are passed on to your interviewers, and so if it does come up in a reference, expect to be grilled on it in interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Grilled on why I missed my weekly tutorials? I don't doubt you have a lot of advice, but I just see that as unlikely. If they ask it me, I'll be honest with them and tell them the truth which is that I benefited from alternative methods of revision; intended avoision as opposed to something obviously more questionable on paper.
Reply 4
Original post by J-SP
I wouldn't say it's unlikely if they have read a reference that states it. I've seen people been picked up on a lot less in their references!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but these are for second year internships not for TCs, which would be understandable, except it's not because I'm applying for 14 day placements, not a permanent role which would otherwise incur a firm liabilities or training costs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending