The Student Room Group

Labour or Conservative?

Scroll to see replies

Hello comrades :colone:

Spoiler

Original post by That Bearded Man
They lowered the upper tax rate, which benefits the landlord class. They opposed the requirement for rented property to be of a minimum standard.

They also have "spent" more on the health service than previous governments they also "increased their debt" than previous governments. It's a requirement not to build "more" but to build at a continually increasing rate, on the specific point of council housing, you'll need specific schemes to build cheap, basic housing, that can't be left for laissez-faire private enterprise.

Building expensive houses isn't a bad thing, as long as there's an upper market (if taxed appropriately) I have no qualms with houses built for the upper quartiles, but it seriously ignores the housing dilemma.

Who is the party of the working class? Probably something like the TUSC, ultimately Labour is the nearest to a working class party in mainstream Britain. Certainly if you're pro-Tory, despise unions and the in work benefits they bring then you definitely aren't defending the working class.

They lowered the rate of the top tax bracket labour brought in a few months before the general election to 45% it was 40% for all of labours 13 years.

That effects everyone who pays the rate and isn't directed at landlords.

With regards to minimum standards I haven't a clue what you are on about.

The debt would have increased whoever was in power but now you are completely off topic as is your nhs comment.

The comment about house builders not being able to build enough homes on there own is not true if planning restrictions were relaxed then they would build easily enough homes.

Your comment reference in work benefits is completely off topic again but I'll bite and say the government shouldn't subsidise business to pay poverty wages, hence the coming rises in the tax threshold and the rising minimum wage.

As for a party for the working class there isn't one really, ukip is probably closest labour is just a watered down Tory party without the idea of what they are trying to do. They are a rudderless ship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
They lowered the rate of the top tax bracket labour brought in a few months before the general election to 45% it was 40% for all of labours 13 years.

That effects everyone who pays the rate and isn't directed at landlords.

With regards to minimum standards I haven't a clue what you are on about.

The debt would have increased whoever was in power but now you are completely off topic as is your nhs comment.

The comment about house builders not being able to build enough homes on there own is not true if planning restrictions were relaxed then they would build easily enough homes.

Your comment reference in work benefits is completely off topic again but I'll bite and say the government shouldn't subsidise business to pay poverty wages, hence the coming rises in the tax threshold and the rising minimum wage.

As for a party for the working class there isn't one really, ukip is probably closest labour is just a watered down Tory party without the idea of what they are trying to do. They are a rudderless ship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Tories opposed a bill in Parliament that would enforce a minimum standard of living on rental properties, so yeah, "working class"

Still a tax cut. Same for inheritance tax too. Blair was diet Tory but even then there's no competition.

You've missed my point since I'm highlighting how meaningless some phrases are, such as "I spent more on the NHS than previous years" well, of course you do, the bill goes up every year.

I'm open to relaxing planning laws provided they are being used for council housing.

UKIP are going after the working class vote, but they are not a working class party.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know, I don't like any of them. I know this is very naive of me but why can't we just have a party who will make everyone happy? And whose leader doesn't look like something you'd scrape off the bottom of your shoe?
Probably shoot myself.
Original post by otester
Probably shoot myself.

:shot:
Original post by Platopus
I don't know, I don't like any of them. I know this is very naive of me but why can't we just have a party who will make everyone happy? And whose leader doesn't look like something you'd scrape off the bottom of your shoe?

that wasn't a very nice thing to say about corbyn!
Original post by john2054
that wasn't a very nice thing to say about corbyn!

I agree.
I'd rather drink bleach than vote tory m8
Definetely labour or as long as we breathe, conservative will always be for the upper class

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending